Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#4081 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:17 AM

T-C reporting that Floyd's might close up the Quadra location now, since the James Bay location is doing much better.

#4082 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:21 AM

T-C reporting that Floyd's might close up the Quadra location now, since the James Bay location is doing much better.

'Victoria police responded to a disturbance call at Floyd’s Diner on Yates Street just before 11 a.m. to reports of a man throwing items around and assaulting patrons.'

^Can't have helped

#4083 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:23 AM

A prime location for redevelopment from Yates through to Johnson.

• jonny likes this

#4084 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:09 AM

That seems crazy to me. There's always at least a half-hour lineup there on weekends. I haven't been to the James Bay location yet but it looks less than half the size. 

Edited by gstc84, 04 September 2018 - 08:10 AM.

#4085 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:14 AM

Sounds like Petr is playing a bit of hardball in the paper to get a better deal on the Quadra/Yates location. It's true that it's always packed, but boy...$12,000/month in rent is steep for a place only open half the day.

I guess the property owner needs to consider if they want to cash out big for a great redevelopment spot, or keep that steady monthly income. With the lease up in January, I'm sure they're entertaining offers.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#4086 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:18 AM

Isn't that building slated for redevelopment? The dry cleaner property is. Sounds like there might be a lot consolidation going down.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4087 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:45 AM

Isn't that building slated for redevelopment? The dry cleaner property is. Sounds like there might be a lot consolidation going down.

Redevelopment of that corner only makes sense if the Capital Ballroom also goes. I seem to remember that the owner of Ageless Living is interested in redevelopment and has been keeping an eye on the progress across the street, and he'd need the dry cleaner property to achieve a similar development.

• Mike K. and jonny like this

#4088 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:03 AM

The article mentions a possible new location downtown for Floyd’s, but I doubt that they would be interested in the Ming’s spot (which is likely slated for redevelopment anyway).
  • jonny likes this

#4089 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

nobody wants to open around ground zero.

#4090 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:36 AM

With all the costs and issues of doing business downtown why would anyone pay that much in rent .
  • Matt R. and pennymurphy2000 like this

#4091 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:27 PM

If the Floyd's property is redeveloped, that means the music recording studio attached beside the restaurant would have to go as well wouldn't it?

#4092 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

Chuck’s Burger Bar appears to be opening a second location in the old Famous Original location in LoYa.

#4093 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

Chuck’s Burger Bar appears to be opening a second location in the old Famous Original location in LoYa.

Is there a subway line that will get me from LoJo to LoYa?

#4094 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

They’re building that after the LoCo-LoBro-LoFo extension.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 06 September 2018 - 01:26 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#4095 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

it appears willie's bakery closed up permanently for lack of staff.

#4096 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:33 PM

I heard of C-fax that Flloyd's is closing at least one location due to not being able to find enough cooks. Apparently cooks are in extremely high demand in Victoria.  I did see a sign in James Bay where the Tea Room was that says Flloyd's opening.

#4097 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

That is crazy. I remember a period about 20 years ago in the Fall where it was almost impossible to get a restaurant job. You could beg and plead but simply nobody was hiring, even dishwashers. For wait staff it was brutal competition.

#4098 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:37 AM

I heard of C-fax that Flloyd's is closing at least one location due to not being able to find enough cooks. Apparently cooks are in extremely high demand in Victoria.  I did see a sign in James Bay where the Tea Room was that says Flloyd's opening.

That is crazy. I remember a period about 20 years ago in the Fall where it was almost impossible to get a restaurant job. You could beg and plead but simply nobody was hiring, even dishwashers. For wait staff it was brutal competition.

There's been a shortage of cooks in Victoria for years. It's a double helping of high cost of living and the sheer number of restaurants in the region.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4099 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:25 AM

There's been a shortage of cooks in Victoria for years. It's a double helping of high cost of living and the sheer number of restaurants in the region.

C-Fax stated that many restaurants are handing out $500 dollar bonuses UP FRONT  to cooks as an incentive for them to come and work for them. $500 just to say "Ok I'll come and cook for you"

For the first time in my memory Victoria restaurants are in extreme desperation mode at this point for qualified cooks.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 07 September 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#4100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

that's probably reasonable as it's hard to walk back a wage increase if things ease.  and it's hard to figure how you deal with existing staff if you pay a new one higher hourly upon arrival.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 September 2018 - 08:57 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users