Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#5361 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:37 PM

^People are liking the 2K a month for sitting on their asses.

If you are called back to work, refuse to go in, and lack extenuating circumstances (i.e. your spouse is at elevated risk of contracting COVID) , this *could* be considered a voluntary resignation under Canadian employment law which would mean that you'd have to forfeit the CERB payments (or wait for the government to retroactively collect them from you).   This would be especially true if you were RoE indicates that your employer has given you a temporary furlough.  There are anecdotal stories about some employees *not* wanting to return to work, but lawyers have said that this could point them at risk for losing their CERB, and I imagine that the refusal to work is something happening in only a small percentage of cases; after all, most people will want a reference from their employer and/or will want to avoid gaps in their CV/resume.

I was downtown today and saw that quite a few businesses have actually reopened including large format retail (The Bay), small coffee shops (Milano Coffee Roasters on Government), and eateries like the Aegean Cafe at Fort/Blanshard.  Businesses that offered limited service during the lockdown are expanding service or getting ready to (for example, Munro Books will reopen to in-store browsing starting Tuesday May 26).  But there are news reports from elsewhere indicating that many restaurants that *could* offer in-person dining now are choosing to stick with a delivery/carry-out model for now.  Interestingly enough, the pandemic may have accelerated a shift to food delivery apps; even before it hit, many restaurants (including Royal Spice) were probably doing a majority of sales through delivery apps...

• Greg likes this

#5362 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:31 PM

I must admit, since reopening for takeout (No delivery) on May 4, we have been very busy and margins are ok, especially when you consider the wage subsidy! The response has been very positive and we are selling lots of food. Don’t get me wrong, sales are way way down but so is overhead.

Matt.
  • todd likes this

#5363 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

and yes many people are enjoying the $2200/mo. for not working. especially former part time workers.

#5364 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:52 PM

$2200?

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 22 May 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#5365 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

isn’t it $500/week?

#5366 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:18 AM

Oh, is it? I thought it was $2000 a month.

Matt.

#5367 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:00 AM

I forgot to mention earlier that your grandparent's favourite restaurant, J.J. Morgan, held a retirement sell-off of all their old junk out at University Heights recently.

thumbnail_20200509_111425.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#5368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:16 AM

I did the walk of shame yesterday.

Yes, I walked through a drive through after walking up to a chain restaurant thinking they’d be open for inside pick up as their sign said walk-ins now available.

I tell yeah, that was something, and the drivers had a bit of a chuckle, as did I.

Anyways...
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5369 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:27 AM

5c39812f98203edbed2ab4fda82346b4--costumes-for-boys-baby-halloween-costumes.jpg

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5370 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

That looks about right.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5371 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

Yes, I walked through a drive through after walking up to a chain restaurant thinking they’d be open for inside pick up as their sign said walk-ins now available.

I tell yeah, that was something, and the drivers had a bit of a chuckle, as did I.

Anyways...

Where was this? Every time I've tried this I've been told they couldn't serve me.

Once my friends and I drunkenly walked half an hour late at night to get some McDonald's only to be told they couldn't serve us without a car. My friend called a cab to the McDonald's parking lot just to go through the drive-thru with it. The cab driver said he's gotten many calls just for drive-thrus.

#5372 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:09 PM

Anyways...

I thought drive throughs wouldn't serve folks not in cars?

#5373 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:11 PM

I thought drive throughs wouldn't serve folks not in cars?

I've actually been behind a  man in a wheelchair  at one of the  local drive-throughs in town... he was served.

#5374 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:30 PM

I think these are Covid exceptions, as this practice is indeed prohibited. I’ve never done it before. This was an A&W on Douglas. There might even be different regs depending on who’s managing for the evening.

Know it all.

#5375 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Tables and chairs are available for inside "dining" at the Hillside Mall food court. Fewer than pre-plague, to allow for greater distancing.

#5376 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

Tables and chairs are available for inside "dining" at the Hillside Mall food court. Fewer than pre-plague, to allow for greater distancing.

Same thing at Bay Centre downtown although only 2 of the food court merchants were open. Was told that the others could not find staff to work.

Edited by spanky123, 24 May 2020 - 01:19 PM.

#5377 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

Same thing at Bay Centre downtown although only 2 of the food court merchants were open. Was told that the others could not find staff to work.

I guess it's easier to collect the CERB while sitting on your ass all day.

#5378 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:06 PM

I wonder if part of the issue here might be reduced transit offerings as I imagine that a large percentage of employees here would need to take transit to/from work due to parking expenses etc downtown?  In addition to reducing frequency, each bus has reduced its capacity as a way to enforce social distancing. 

I've been to several reopened businesses recently and it's been a great feeling to see so many of the same staff back at work; some of them have called me by my first name (my real first name- not Kapten! :1954_dancing:)...

• Redd42 and Victoria Watcher like this

#5379 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:08 PM

I guess it's easier to collect the CERB while sitting on your ass all day.

Or maybe risking your life for a low wage, low hours, and the crap that comes with customer service isn't something many people want to do?

#5380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

Or maybe risking your life for a low wage, low hours, and the crap that comes with customer service isn't something many people want to do?

Then they should improve their skills and apply for better jobs. The free handouts can't go on forever.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users