Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#5861 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:21 PM

Anyone tried Mod Pizza in the Belmont shopping plaza?

Apparently it is pretty good.

I’ve had MOD pizza in the US. It’s good but not as good as Prima Strada...

#5862 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:44 AM

I've had MOD Pizza once. It was surprisingly good. It's kind of a halfway point between more authentic wood-fired pizza like Pizzeria Prima Strada and something more typical of North American pizza places like Panago. Prima Strada and Standard Pizza are my personal favorites.

#5863 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 11:03 AM

One thing I like about MOD is that you don't pay for toppings so you can fill that pie up with all your favorites

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#5864 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 10:39 PM

So Osaka Sushi on Oak Bay Ave, close to Foul Bay, was up for sale. Can't imagine anyone would buy it - the food was awful. Walked by this evening and it is obviously being gutted. Pile of chairs in the parking lot, half the sign gone, other bits of flotsam strewn around the property.

Anyone have any idea what is going on there?

#5865 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:38 AM

Don't tell the City, as there are no permits issued for interior strip out or demolition! No other permits in process either, at least according to VicMap.

The interior of the old Floyd's is stripped out to the rafters, completely gutted. Looks more like a reno than a demo.

• Mike K. and Jackerbie like this

#5866 RandyPicnic

RandyPicnic
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

So Osaka Sushi on Oak Bay Ave, close to Foul Bay, was up for sale. Can't imagine anyone would buy it - the food was awful. Walked by this evening and it is obviously being gutted. Pile of chairs in the parking lot, half the sign gone, other bits of flotsam strewn around the property.

Anyone have any idea what is going on there?

I noticed that today and thought I'd check if anyone had any information. I liked the place; it had many regulars. It was doing decently with take-out business at the start of restrictions, and a few of the old regulars were back more recently when they reopened for dining-in. I just don't think they had sustainable income anymore.

I wonder what will replace it. Discovery Coffee across the street has wanted to move for a couple of years now. Someplace nearby with patio or deck space. They were slated to go into whatever becomes of the GardenWorks space, but that seems to be taking forever. Who knows? I hope it's another restaurant.

#5867 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 05:12 PM

I noticed that today and thought I'd check if anyone had any information. I liked the place; it had many regulars. It was doing decently with take-out business at the start of restrictions, and a few of the old regulars were back more recently when they reopened for dining-in. I just don't think they had sustainable income anymore.

I wonder what will replace it. Discovery Coffee across the street has wanted to move for a couple of years now. Someplace nearby with patio or deck space. They were slated to go into whatever becomes of the GardenWorks space, but that seems to be taking forever. Who knows? I hope it's another restaurant.

They are still moving there, the garden works redevelopment was approved two nights ago...

• RandyPicnic likes this

#5868 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 07:42 PM

I had a Mod Pizza tonight, ordered online and picked up. Highly recommend.

• Greg likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5869 RandyPicnic

RandyPicnic
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

Word on the street is that Osaka sold for around $35K and an Indian restaurant will be taking its place.

#5870 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 04:53 PM

I loved the old Italian restaurant in that location - Jimmy’s Place :)
  • Matt R. and GaryRanson like this

#5871 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 06:39 PM

Word on the street is that Osaka sold for around $35K and an Indian restaurant will be taking its place.

So this always confuses me - what exactly did they buy? Is the kitchen equipment worth that much? They obviously didn't buy any goodwill if the new restaurant folks are going in a whole different direction. The dining chairs are piled up in the parking lot. And they sure as heck didn't buy the property for $35,000. 

• Matt R. likes this

#5872 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,051 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

It's a pretty big space, lots of equipment I am sure.  Even things like tables, chairs, cutlery and other smallwares add up pretty quick.  Kitchen equipment could be quite valuable as well - ventilation, coolers, cooking equipment and then loads of smallwares back there too.  Even at a few bucks a pop for inserts, trays, plates and such adds up when there are hundreds of them.  Is there some custom lighting? Bar equipment? Millwork? Inventory?

One of the sushi chefs while I was at the Marina was helping them open up way back when.  I went to check it out a couple of times, I think Jimmy's was a real disaster but iirc Osaka was improving things.

Matt.

#5873 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:43 PM

One of the sushi chefs while I was at the Marina was helping them open up way back when.  I went to check it out a couple of times, I think Jimmy's was a real disaster but iirc Osaka was improving things.

The guy that owned Jimmy's also owned Barkley's Steakhouse which leased space in the Executive House hotel. All the hotel's restaurants did room service so somehow a lot of the Executive House's silverware and dishes mysteriously ended up cross town over at Jimmy's.

• Matt R. and Redd42 like this

#5874 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:48 PM

It's a pretty big space, lots of equipment I am sure.  Even things like tables, chairs, cutlery and other smallwares add up pretty quick.  Kitchen equipment could be quite valuable as well - ventilation, coolers, cooking equipment and then loads of smallwares back there too.  Even at a few bucks a pop for inserts, trays, plates and such adds up when there are hundreds of them.  Is there some custom lighting? Bar equipment? Millwork? Inventory?

Matt.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

#5875 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 08:37 PM

Makes me wish I still had an industry to sell our very specific renos and equipment to - nope - thanks Covid. But we are ok with that - never planned on being able to sell - that would just have been a bonus. We got 16 years out of them so we are lucky. Also lucky we can get out of our lease. I've said before - lots of folks are still open just because they have lease obligations. 

#5876 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:14 AM

Now that Floyd's on Quadra and Yates is gutted there's a "for rent" sign up.

#5877 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:16 AM

I hope a "Paint Me" sign goes up next.

• GaryRanson and mbjj like this

#5878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:41 AM

"For rent?" Interesting. Do we know who the agent is?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5879 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

Dragon Gate chinese restaurant at Oak Bay Junction closed down on Sunday. 27 years in business.

#5880 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:36 PM

Now that Floyd's on Quadra and Yates is gutted there's a "for rent" sign up.

And a Building Permit issued for new plumbing

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)