Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#7201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 06:07 PM

I mean when banks are hiring mortgage advisors who’ve never had a mortgage, I can’t fault the city for hiring staff in economic departments or business development who’ve never run a business. But if more staff walked a mile in the shoes of a small business owner for a while, it makes you wonder how different things would be.
  • Belleprincess likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7202 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:54 AM

I mean when banks are hiring mortgage advisors who’ve never had a mortgage, I can’t fault the city for hiring staff in economic departments or business development who’ve never run a business. But if more staff walked a mile in the shoes of a small business owner for a while, it makes you wonder how different things would be.

Property taxes are not a paid for fee service right?  Some things the City does can be seen and others can't I guess.  Basically the budget is set, that amount is divided among residents (at a certain rate) and the commercial (at another certain rate).  It's like most taxes, what do you get for your income tax, sales taxes, gas taxes?  You don't see it all.  Taxes will continue to rise because staff is the highest expense and as wages go up that expense goes up.  Tax payers typically pay for that.  I'm not sure of another city that does that differently as cities have to balance budgets.  The City doesn't increase property taxes to earn more money. 

So Mike, I didn't jump on landlords for high lease rates specifically, all I said was that if many, many businesses closed, lease rates would likely come down.  Is that an incorrect statement?  The same wouldn't happen for property taxes.  It's just not something you can compare.  I will say this though Mike, when we did the parking review, in many cases parking rates went down, because I base that on use and capacity of either blocks or facilities.  You know, like running a business.

#7203 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 10:52 AM

Businesses pay roughly 4x the tax.

I will say this though Mike, when we did the parking review, in many cases parking rates went down, because I base that on use and capacity of either blocks or facilities. You know, like running a business.

It’s a public service you provide, not a business service.

Unless you’ve run a business, you might think that adjusting parking rates is like running a business. But you’re not pressured by monthly expenses, you’re not pressured by mistakes which could sink the business, you’re not at-risk of losing assets, there is no threat of competition for your services to any reasonable degree, and you operate however you want, with no government body dictating what you can and can’t do (no business license, no controllers, no bylaw, no health/government oversight), you’re also a monopoly on on-street parking, and you have a huge taxpayer-subsidized advantage in the parkade side of things.

So you’re not running a business, but you are managing a service.
  • Barrrister and Belleprincess like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7204 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 03:16 PM

Businesses pay roughly 4x the tax.

It’s a public service you provide, not a business service.

Unless you’ve run a business, you might think that adjusting parking rates is like running a business. But you’re not pressured by monthly expenses, you’re not pressured by mistakes which could sink the business, you’re not at-risk of losing assets, there is no threat of competition for your services to any reasonable degree, and you operate however you want, with no government body dictating what you can and can’t do (no business license, no controllers, no bylaw, no health/government oversight), you’re also a monopoly on on-street parking, and you have a huge taxpayer-subsidized advantage in the parkade side of things.

So you’re not running a business, but you are managing a service.

Yes I realize what the commercial rate is thanks..  Somehow businesses and these properties manage.  New agreements in place, property taxes will take another leap by the way.  I'm pressured with budgets, staff issues, governing bodies dictating, public pressure and scrutiny with choices I make, public facing staff and complaints that go with it.  Now Mike, I could easily sit back and really make no changes (or improvements) and cruise along I suppose but I take pride in this multi-million $$ operation as well as spending countless hours, nearly a lifetime of research, taken more than 1 week in a row once in nearly 30 years.  I get that you believe I have this magical protection of my pay cheque every 2 weeks.  This was not always the case.  If my business model is flawed or they don't like what I'm doing I can be easily removed.  This almost happened about 5 years ago and it wasn't good times.  In about 18 months 20+ exempt staff were relieved.   You insult me sir.   I am managing a service it's true..  Again none of this has to do with lease rates potentially being reduced if markets show, what a 15% vacancy?  20% vacancy...?  Please stop with personal attacks ongoing, I deserve a little more than you thinking you know what I do...  I'm certain running a business is tough but it's not rocket surgery....

#7205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 03:30 PM

Your parking ambassadors duck angry motorists all day long, you’ll be fine.

I’m just reminding you to be a little more sympathetic to what the business community is going through. They pay for city hall’s decisions, literally and figuratively, and I sense many business operators are just exhausted and tired of the melee.
  • Nparker, Barrrister and Belleprincess like this

Know it all.

#7206 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 03:45 PM

That being said, if I insulted you, I’m sorry. It wasn’t my intent. I can get caught up in wanting to stick up for the little guy.

You do excellent work at the parking department and you’ve made a lot of positive changes with the limited tools at your disposal. I get the constraints and responsibilities, at least I think I do based on what you tell us, and you don’t get as much thanks as you deserve.

Again, I humbly apologize.

Know it all.

#7207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,727 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 03:57 PM

What food service was all of the above about again?

• Matt R. and catfluff like this

#7208 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:13 PM

What food service was all of the above about again?

That cafe on Fort and Blanshard..  I want to say it was Greek...  Tough business to hold on to especially through the pandemic.  The property has already been sold and things are moving on something else apparently.

#7209 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:18 PM

Your parking ambassadors duck angry motorists all day long, you’ll be fine.

I’m just reminding you to be a little more sympathetic to what the business community is going through. They pay for city hall’s decisions, literally and figuratively, and I sense many business operators are just exhausted and tired of the melee.

I'm not sure where I wasn't sympathetic to them.  I keep hearing that businesses are leaving town left, right and centre.  In reality while they might be leaving others are coming.  If this is the case however, lease rates might need to come down.  All I said...  No one is more sympathetic to downtown businesses and the issues here.  I'm not sure there is anyone on VV who has spent more money in downtown businesses either...  Your anger toward property taxes should be directed elsewhere.  I know many businesses that could use a break on a leaner lease.  I know a few property owners who are among the most affluent people I know.  If they can get the rate they are getting they will keep doing it.  Having said that I know a couple landlords who did give their tenants a break during the first 6 months of the pandemic...  Very awesome.

#7210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:08 PM

Yup, all good Ismo.

There are some business sectors that are thriving, and we seem to be getting more and more of them, while others are declining. I am hopeful the new councillors will lead in a way that chills out the craziness. We could use some help there.

Know it all.

#7211 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,986 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 10:54 AM

DoorDash laying off 1,250 people, about 6% of its workforce

DoorDash has about 20,000 employees worldwide, including some in Canada. It's not immediately clear how big its Canadian workforce is or how many will be laid off.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...yoffs-1.6669389

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2022 - 10:54 AM.

#7212 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,986 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 07:35 PM

Income Producing Property with Exceptional Development Potential. Conveniently located on the outskirts of downtown Victoria, this offering represents the opportunity for owner occupiers, investors, and developers to acquire a 100% interest in 2900 Douglas Street. A single tenanted building situated in the downtown core on a large 17,765 SF corner lot with unparalleled exposure on Douglas Street. 2:1 FSR in the City of Victoria’s Official Community Plan which equates to 35,530 Buildable SF. Unparalleled exposure to over 30,000 vehicles daily. 

$2,850,000

918673_1.jpg

2900 Douglas St

https://www.realtor....ctoria-burnside

#7213 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,986 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 07:36 PM

Here is a fantastic opportunity to purchase a very well established and profitable European Deli in the heart of Saanich. Very high traffic area with lots of free customer parking. There is a wide selection of imported products including Deli meats and cheese, specialty assortment of cookies, chocolates, pastas, and savory items, as well Seasonal products not found at most of other stores. This business has operated since 1977 and has a very loyal customer base that will allow any new owner to capitalize on this incredible family business. Call today for more details.

$120,000

https://www.realtor....saanich-mt-doug

918938_2.jpg

4080 Shelbourne St

#7214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:36 AM

Interesting update on the restaurant and bar patio program that was initiated during covid and that will expire March 2023. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=85373

Under the free program that the City has operated until now, 78 establishments had applied for patios. Of those 78, 9 have submitted applications to continue past the free period. Of those 9 it will be interesting to see how many proceed once the fees have been established.

#7215 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,727 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:51 AM

I hope a higher esthetic standard for these "patios" is established as part of their continuation. Most of them look like ****.

• mbjj likes this

#7216 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:13 AM

That OK most of the city is starting to look like s**t anyways so it is just part of the plan for Victoria. 

• Nparker likes this

#7217 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,986 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 01:20 AM

Years after fleeing Syria, Esquimalt family nears opening first restaurant

https://www.cheknews...aurant-1120693/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2022 - 01:20 AM.

• E2V likes this

#7218 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,986 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:42 AM

Rare opportunity to take over one of Victoria's top restaurants that has been operating for over 20 years! This restaurant provides a new operator the opportunity to take advantage of an established customer base with deep roots in the Victoria restaurant scene. The business is located in the heart of Victoria's downtown area. This 5,767 SF street level corner unit is easily accessible for pedestrians and has high exposure to both transit and vehicle traffic.

$258,800

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

920300_1.jpg

#7219 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,986 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:46 AM

Azuma perhaps?

screenshot-azuma.ca-2022.12.13-09_45_49.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.12.13-09_45_25.png

#7220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,529 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 07:37 AM

I was thinking that, yes.

Do we know if the Cora breakfast franchise ever sold? It was perennially for sale.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (2)