Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8809 replies to this topic

#7681 m3m

m3m
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:38 PM

If you don’t tip - regardless of what societal consensus is for the standard percentage - you’re gonna get judged by the person that is serving you.
  • Love the rock likes this

#7682 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:45 PM

I generally find that people who never worked in food service / hospitality have entitlements and attitudes similar to this. I find it gross.

I had many years in these industries and now gladly tip generously because I know that these employees have to deal with attitudes like this.

I always chuckle a bit when people suggest the customer shouldn’t have to subsidize the wages of the staff, because of course the customer always subsidizes 100% of wages (and everything else) anyways.
  • Ismo07 likes this

#7683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

^ ^ ^ Are you saying it’s not good for people to earn commission?

Workers on the whole would be a lot more effective and pleasant if more did.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2023 - 07:54 PM.

#7684 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:56 PM

I always chuckle a bit when people suggest the customer shouldn’t have to subsidize the wages of the staff, because of course the customer always subsidizes 100% of wages (and everything else) anyways.

Indeed. All the money has to come from the customer one way or another. By hook or by crook.

#7685 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:01 PM

I have yet to meet a tipped employee who would rather have a “living wage” than make minimum plus tips, and I’ve been at this game for a long time.
  • Ismo07 and Victoria Watcher like this

#7686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:07 PM

If you don’t tip - regardless of what societal consensus is for the standard percentage - you’re gonna get judged by the person that is serving you.

Exactly.

It’s not a good thing. The relationship between the server and the customer is not mutually exclusive, but the server 100% depends on the customer. The customer does not.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:04 AM

Inflation continues to take a bite out of Canadian restaurants.

Restaurants Canada, representing over 30,000 businesses coast-to-coast, says 51 per cent of restaurants are losing money.

The not-for-profit's study found the number of restaurants filing for bankruptcy has increased by 116 per cent since 2022, and they expect that number to grow if changes are not made.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...e-due-1.6406142

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 May 2023 - 06:05 AM.

#7688 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:57 PM

In line with that, Canadian's personal debt is now 107% of the country's GDP.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ng the pandemic.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7689 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:58 PM

Inflation continues to take a bite out of Canadian restaurants.

Restaurants Canada, representing over 30,000 businesses coast-to-coast, says 51 per cent of restaurants are losing money.

The not-for-profit's study found the number of restaurants filing for bankruptcy has increased by 116 per cent since 2022, and they expect that number to grow if changes are not made.

https://bc.ctvnews.c...e-due-1.6406142

I could not imagine running a restaurant and losing money. It’s so much work.

#7690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 03:04 AM

Food delivery marketplace Cookin which focuses on homemade meals created by chefs and food creators and launched in Canada last year is expanding its platform in Canada and the U.S. after securing $17 million in funding.

The online food service connects home cooks and consumers, providing consumers with the opportunity to purchase diverse home-cooked meals delivered to their doors.

Since launching in October in Toronto, thousands of consumers have downloaded the app and ordered more than 6,000 meals from more than 60 chefs currently on the platform. Cookin says that more than 1,800 chefs have applied to be on the platform.

The $17 million funding will allow Cookin to expand in 17 cities by 2025 with the first two launches in Dallas, Texas and Miami, Florida. It is also expanding in Ontario.

Cookin says it offers chefs freedom over their own food business with the ability to retain 80 per cent of their food sales revenue.

"Cookin empowers talented food creators to become entrepreneurs," says Morley Ivers, co-founder and CEO, Cookin. "Many chefs and food creators are reinventing themselves within the food industry. Through Cookin, they can continue to share their passion for creating authentic cuisines with an even wider customer base, while Cookin supports food entrepreneurs with technology, marketing enablement, packaging procurement, customer service and delivery. The feedback from both consumers and creators has been outstanding."

https://www.groceryb...d-in-canada-u-s

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2023 - 03:04 AM.

#7691 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 07:10 PM

I see the Tastebuds food truck in Sooke, parked at Sooke Oceanside Brewery I think, has sold to Chef Motoharu Nozawa. He was most recently head chef at House of Boateng and is the real deal. Quite a score for east Sooke!

https://www.hobfinef...eng-moto-nozawa

No website that I can see, just a FB page.

https://www.facebook.../2023hidenseek/

Edited by Matt R., 03 June 2023 - 07:13 PM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#7692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 12:02 AM

Great opportunity to take over a commercially vented restaurant in the core with approximately 50 seats and a food primary liquor license. This beautiful built out restaurant has a stunning dining area with central bar and 15ft + ceilings. The kitchen was designed by a chef and the 12 ft hood can accommodate a wide range of food concepts and has great flow and can turn out high volumes. This location also provides ample prep space, walk-in coolers, and office space. NDA is required for more information.

$149,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-downtown

Hmmmm, 50 seats and central bar.  Don't know.

#7693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 12:05 AM

A small format restaurant located right in the heart of one of Victoria's most well loved neighbourhoods. This cafe has a loyal following and is very well established. Sales increased by well over 40% from 2021 and 2023 is well on pace to continue its sales volume. The cafe has been serving breakfast, lunch and great coffee for years and the small format space is well laid out and has seating for 10-15 people inside plus some additional exterior seating in the warmer months. The large kitchen has ample room and all the equipment required to handle both in-house customers and catering and delivery orders. Wonderful opportunity for those seeking an easy to manage food and beverage business and continue to build upon this great business or bring a new concept to this turn key space. NDA required for more details. 

$124,000

https://www.realtor....-fairfield-east

#7694 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 12:06 AM

Harlan's Fine Chocolates and Gelato, “The Sweetest Place on Salt Spring Island” is for sale. This is a landmark retail favourite in the heart of Salt Spring Island. This business offers LOCATION like no other and a complete food safe kitchen on premises~! In operation for over 41 years Harlan's has a long standing reputation of loyal clientele both locally and worldwide. A trip to Salt Spring Island is not complete without a visit to Harlan’s to experience the hand made chocolates, gelato and imported treats. Serving the local community with one stop birthday party packages, ice cream cakes, gift certificates and a growing online presence this sweet shop is a successful business year round. Make the magic and fun of Harlan's be your future business. Open to Offers~! 

$323,000

https://www.realtor....ing-salt-spring

• Matt R. likes this

#7695 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 09 June 2023 - 09:52 AM

Top Table is finally opening on Douglas.

https://vancouverisl...Synbr8Fv4Q-FieM

#7696 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:06 AM

$3,000,000

180 Crome Point Rd
Bowser, British Columbia V0R1G0

https://www.realtor....-bowserdeep-bay

OCEANFRONT PROPERTY WITH ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES. This magnificent offering could be a seaside resort, grand private home, or could be divided into numerous self-contained suites, vacation properties, a marina shop, or all of the above At present The Ship & Shore is a thriving restaurant with a sprawling & elegant 4 BEDROOM HOME with spectacular views. A PRIVATE BOAT launch. A year-round RV CAMP SITE. An exclusive BOAT FUELLING STATION, the only one for 40 km This distinctive property in Deep Bay, is a proven success, generating revenue from all its attractions. The restaurant, a favorite with local & Int visitors, with a spacious licensed patio overlooking the marina & government wharf. The luxurious home above has a gourmet kitchen. The camp site includes all facilities, 30 AMP, showers, washrooms & laundry. The specifics: Lot 86 is zoned commercial; Lot 87 is zoned residential with district approval to continue the existing use as a campground. THIS IS A TURN KEY OPERATION- Share sale

934645_1.jpg

934645_3.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 June 2023 - 01:07 AM.

#7697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 01:09 AM

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.06.14-05_08_41.png

#7698 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, this is what I mean.

It’s not good for workers to rely on tips to the degree where they start judging people. If you don’t tip enough, you get labelled, etc. Surely that’s not a winning strategy for a business.

Service workers will also overtip, with their tips. It can tilt the expectation scale.

Also, the majority of people who work in service and food don’t get tips. Only a small percentage do.

Yes this.. When I am out with industry folks they tip way more.  I just tell them they are making too much money.  They tell me it's to pay for parking...  But they also know I tip 1% per step so I try hard to sit near the service entrance to the bar/kitchen or at the bar.  You can see me doing the John Cleese walk to measure how much I'll be tipping too...

#7699 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 03:57 PM

Apparently there’s a 10% Movement thing gaining momentum. Because prices have increased so much in recent years, the movement argues automatic tip requests should be lower, not higher.

The other day I saw 20, 25 and 30%.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7700 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 16 June 2023 - 01:03 AM

Victoria is no stranger to fine dining, especially when it comes to serving seafood.

The trend continues with the Vancouver-based Toptable Group opening a new restaurant in downtown Victoria. Not only has Toptable Group been well-renowned for its restaurants in Vancouver, but in Whistler and even in New York City. The new restaurant, Marilena Cafe and Raw Bar, will be located at the Rotunda building on 1525 Douglas St.

The restaurant group is also notable for its connection to the Vancouver Canucks. Toptable Group and the professional hockey team share the same owner, Francesco Aquilini.

https://www.vicnews....re-in-victoria/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 June 2023 - 01:03 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (3)