Photo

Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8817 replies to this topic

#7641 RPPB

RPPB
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 06:15 PM

It's a shame they weren't able to produce the menu in an easier-to-read vertical format.

Fixed it for you.

Attached Images

• 20230524_191145.jpg

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#7642 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 06:20 PM

Untitled-2.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#7643 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:59 PM

I tried a case of that shaved ribeye from gfs, pretty good product!

#7644 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:40 PM

Back in the same location? I thought they were going to try a new concept, with a different name altogether.

Just stopped by 20 mins ago, talked to an employee as he was leaving. Closed at 6pm (Google says 8pm) and he mention he didn't think the website had been updated, they just got there sign today and currently in a soft launch. Hoping to be open to 9pm in the near future.

Looks to be a takeout window only. 

Little rattled I didn't get to full fill my cheesesteak craving, but hopefully can make it before 6pm tomorrow. 

• Mike K. likes this

#7645 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 06:38 PM

Just stopped by 20 mins ago, talked to an employee as he was leaving. Closed at 6pm (Google says 8pm) and he mention he didn't think the website had been updated, they just got there sign today and currently in a soft launch. Hoping to be open to 9pm in the near future.

Looks to be a takeout window only.

Little rattled I didn't get to full fill my cheesesteak craving, but hopefully can make it before 6pm tomorrow.

Looking forward to your review!

#7646 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:03 PM

Looking forward to your review!

If it's the same cheesesteak from before then it's a solid 9 outa 10 in my books, and haven' be CRAVING it ever since. (Picture attached) 

But i will provide review after getting it again. 

Attached Images

• 20220817_115642.jpg

• Mike K. and qv like this

#7647 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 05:29 PM

Out of respect to the owner who i was talking too while waiting for my cheesesteak he asked me to not review online quite yet as they're in a soft launch and taking it real slow. 

They expanded the kitchen space upstairs which they're also using for Cenote. 

They also changed up the menu for Papa Moe's which was posted here before, they have it on the website as well so here is a screen easier to read. 

Attached Images

• fff.JPG

• qv likes this

#7648 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 09:40 PM

If it's the same cheesesteak from before then it's a solid 9 outa 10 in my books, and haven' be CRAVING it ever since. (Picture attached)

But i will provide review after getting it again.

The cheese steak from the earlier incarnation was the best I've had in Victoria. I'm nervous seeing "horseradish sage aioli" on the new menu. Those are two flavours I don't want on my cheese steak. Fingers crossed it doesn't ruin what was already perfect.

#7649 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:35 AM

You can own this Kamloops bakery for $1,000 — if you win a contest

A pair of bakers in Kamloops, B.C., are getting ready to hang up their chef's hats and hand over their business to the next generation of bakery owners, but they're going about it in an unusual way. 

Robyn and Shawn Haley, owners of Erwin's Fine Baking & Delicatessen, plan to find their successor through a contest that takes into account candidates' baking skills and business acumen.

"In a perfect world, it would be somebody who loves the business and has the commitment to quality that we have," Robyn Haley said. 

Erwin's is a Kamloops institution located north of what's known as the Red Bridge along Mt. Paul Way. The Haleys purchased the bakery, which was established in 1971, from the original owners in 2008. While it relocated from the city's downtown core to its current location in 2017, it's remained a local favourite.

Entry fee

Candidates will have to pay a $1,000 entry fee and a minimum of 500 people must enter for the contest to move forward. The owners say the fee and minimum entries are to help recoup the money they would have made if they'd sold the business in the traditional way. 

"We felt that the $1,000 entry fee was set high enough to make sure that the people who are entering are actually qualified and have the skillset that it would take," Robyn said. But, she said, not so high it would prevent people from applying. 

If they don't get enough entries over the next six months, entrants will be refunded $1,000 less the application processing costs. If the contest goes ahead, candidates won't get their money back if they don't win. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ntest-1.6856817

Almost sure that's an illegal lottery.  And also stupid.  And also will not get even close to 500 entries before it's shut down.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 May 2023 - 06:38 AM.

#7650 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:01 AM

The rules for lotteries are so silly. My partner is running one as a fundraiser, but due to the org doing the fundraising they are capped at $2 per ticket by the province.

They wanted to have $20 tickets but the rules said no, so instead they are selling them in books of 10 for $20.
  • Barrrister likes this

#7651 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 01:26 PM

Two things of note re dining out locally.

I went to Browns Socialhouse at Uptown today for the first time in about 8 weeks. It is my go-to eatery when shopping at Walmart. They have a decent brunch menu (at least for a chain restaurant). The friend with whom I usually dine and I are in the habit of ordering the Eggs Benedict. It is a lighter meal and reasonably priced at just over $16. Today we noticed the price had jumped to over $20. In addition, the EB itself was also changed and - IMHO - not for the better. The prosciutto had been replaced by thick-cut bacon and the Hollandaise sauce was completely different. To top it off, my medium poached eggs were too soft and the bacon was nowhere near warm enough. We were both disappointed. At least the tipping options started at a reasonable 15%.

Which leads me to my second point. Another friend and I (yes, I have more than one friend) enjoyed a very pleasant late afternoon/early evening this past Wednesday at The Palms restaurant in the Rialto Hotel. Their Happy Hour menu includes several OK-priced beverages and some rather tasty bites to eat. We especially enjoyed the Charcuterie Platter for Two. Nothing to complain about regarding the menu, service or prices...until it was time to pay. I was a bit taken aback by the default tipping options on the payment machine which started at 18% and topped out at 30%!!!. Needless to say, nothing about the food or service warranted a gratuity of almost 1/3 of the total bill. Why has tipping become so absurdly high? During my recent time in Italy, tipping wasn't universally expected, and certainly no one ever suggested it should be anywhere near 30%. Our gondolier in Venice even tried to give us back the 25% tip we gave him, thinking it must have been a mistake.

#7652 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 28 May 2023 - 04:42 PM

You do remember that you don't have to tip at all dont you?

I dont tip to subsidise an employers low wages nor do I tip for poor/mediocre service. I tip VERY well when someone goes out to their way to earn it whether by work or attitude.

I always tip in cash only. The machines will not dictate what I feel is due. I make that decision. Do I really need to tip at a self serve counter or to a staff that cant even say "hello". I dont think so!!

• Barrrister likes this

#7653 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 04:49 PM

I know I don't HAVE to tip. It's just interesting to see how the default tip settings on card machines have crept up so rapidly.

#7654 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 May 2023 - 05:44 PM

I see you decided to join everyone else whining about tipping lately, nparker.

#7655 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 06:27 PM

It's not whining, it's observing and seeking an explanation as to why tipping has recently become so absurd.

#7656 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 07:48 PM

Starbucks and Subway now present you with a tip request when you pay.

It’s getting ridiculous.
  • Love the rock and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7657 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 09:41 PM

Just select 0 and move on. What’s the big deal.
  • lanforod likes this

#7658 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:26 PM

The big deal is the deliberate manipulation to try and get people to tip more than the service rendered deserves.
  • davidN likes this

#7659 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 28 May 2023 - 10:29 PM

That’s just you taking nothing and making it into something. Just hit the zero button and tap and say thank you and move on with your life.
  • m3m likes this

#7660 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 04:25 AM

https://westbaycafe.ca/contact-us

screenshot-westbaycafe.ca-2023.05.29-08_25_09.png

https://www.instagra...west_bay_cafe_/

screenshot-www.instagram.com-2023.05.29-08_25_46.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2023 - 04:26 AM.

• Ismo07 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users