Food services comings and goings in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
8824 replies to this topic

#1861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

I dunno, all over the world McDonalds is viewed as a delicacy. In some countries people even dress up to go to McDonald's. My sense is they'll continue to embrace the healthier options to catch spontaneous customers who wouldn't ordinarily eat there, but let's face it, who doesn't love a Big Mac every now and then?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1862 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

I always tell people you can choose two - fast, good or cheap.  Last time I was at a McDonalds it was none of those.  What's the point then?

Matt.

• D.L. likes this

#1863 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Look, McDonalds is also planning to sell more corporate to stores to franchisees. Sounds prudent.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1864 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

I always tell people you can choose two - fast, good or cheap. Last time I was at a McDonalds it was none of those. What's the point then?

Matt.

Ya that's pretty much the triangle. You can not be all three.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

What restaurant sells food that is good and cheap?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1866 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:19 PM

^ grocery stores.
  • http likes this

#1867 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

I would rather throw a rib eye steak on the barby at home and plunk it on a real bun from Cobs before going the Mac route.

#1868 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Same with retail. You want knowledgeable, plentiful customer service, a wide selection, and low prices? Not gonna happen. Pick 2.

#1869 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

What restaurant sells food that is good and cheap?

Part and Parcel jumps to mind.  Big Wheel is up there too.

Matt.

#1870 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

Part and Parcel jumps to mind. Big Wheel is up there too.

Matt.

Two places that employ no servers. Want table service, that'll cost you.
  • Matt R. and Mixed365 like this

#1871 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

A burger with fries at Big Wheel is $12.

Cheap is what Burger King offers at $6 for two Whoppers. Cheap+good doesn't exist any more in Victoria as far as prepared food is concerned. 

Know it all.

#1872 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

I suppose it depends on your definition of cheap, doesn't it.

Matt.

#1873 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:34 AM

It surprises me that we have not yet seen self-service ordering yet at McDonalds, as an option. It seems if you are a frequent user the interface would be simple enough to get the hang of.

I know they are using it elsewhere.

#1874 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

They invested $100k into the alterations, according to a previous article. Ouch.

Frankly I think their business model is broken. It's often busy, but they are obviously not getting enough revenue per person. Students with no money won't pay the bills.

#1875 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

A burger with fries at Big Wheel is $12.

Cheap is what Burger King offers at $6 for two Whoppers. Cheap+good doesn't exist any more in Victoria as far as prepared food is concerned. 

Totally depends on your definition of cheap. I would call Romeo's cheap and good. it isn't fast though.

#1876 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

It surprises me that we have not yet seen self-service ordering yet at McDonalds, as an option. It seems if you are a frequent user the interface would be simple enough to get the hang of.

I know they are using it elsewhere.

I agree. This is what a McDonald's service counter should look like:
http://cdn1.vtourist...m.jpg?version=2

#1877 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

but let's face it, who doesn't love a Big Mac every now and then?

Me

• Nparker likes this

#1878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:21 AM

Totally depends on your definition of cheap. I would call Romeo's cheap and good. it isn't fast though.

Yes, and the cheap-fast-good (choose 2) triangle totally depends on everyone's subjective take. McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc., are all three for a huge chunk of the population.

Know it all.

#1879 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

I think we mix up bargain and cheap and since quality is harder to compare and define, the cost of something becomes the measuring stick. When you look up the definition of cheap, "good" is nowhere to be found, and one of the definitions of bargain is "good buy". It suggests getting something of quality for less than expected.

Oreganos does a mid week pizza deal which isn't cheap at all, but I know I cant make a pizza for less than they are selling it at, AND goddamn it is good. I have eaten a lot of burgers in my time and I know I can make one cheaper than Big Wheel, but their burger is way better than mine so occasionally I treat myself to a good burger which I consider a bargain, rather than cheap.

If you don't value something, then your opinion of its "price" is mute. I don't like road riding so I think road bikes are too expensive, I love mountain biking and don't think twice on dropping $3000 on my bike which when you factor in all the enjoyment I get from it, is a bargain for me.  

• Mike K., KAS and lanforod like this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#1880 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

Hmm. That's an interesting take, Eric.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Love the rock