May 12th Provincial Election

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Traditionally in Canada there was a strong division between the public and private lives of politicians in Canada. Too much snooping is going on in people's private lives and is not relevant to the election.

#42 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

It is silly, and even somewhat gross, but it wouldn't stop me from voting for him. Unless someone is accusing him of harassment or other inappropriate behaviour, what is the big deal?

#43 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:19 PM

It is silly, and even somewhat gross, but it wouldn't stop me from voting for him. Unless someone is accusing him of harassment or other inappropriate behaviour, what is the big deal?

Not much if you think of Gordon Campbell in Maui.

#44 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

On one hand I think it's silly and immature and it would make me question his judgment if he was runing in my riding.
On the other hand its inconsequential and perpetuates the 'gotcha' thinking that pollutes our media.

#45 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

I doubt I would have voted for him anyhow but those pictures are nothing more than proof that he's a real person who occasionally has fun. They certainly wouldn't have swayed me against him!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#46 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

What a puritanical society we have become. I guess he paid the price for it.

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

What a puritanical society we have become. I guess he paid the price for it.

I don't think we are puritanical - far from it.

The problem is the drive by media and politicians. It wouldn't matter a whit to the persons credentials or abilities - but in this day and age unfortunately that is not what politics is about. It is all about optics and sound bites, not policy or ideas.

And as others have said, if you plan to run for dogcatcher - go and sanitize any public forums you have ever participated in.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Its unfortunate, but based on what I can see, the picture is harmless.

Campbell was quoted as saying "that this incident is proof that the NDP cant lead the province". He should talk, he drove around drunk in Hawaii. What Lam did has nothing to do with the NDP running the province. I dont think Lam should have resigned, but at least he had the guts to admit to an error in judgement.

#49 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Lam was an NDP candidate?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#50 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Lam was an NDP candidate?

Yep, for the Vancouver-False Creek electoral district.

#51 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

I don't think we are puritanical - far from it.

The problem is the drive by media and politicians. It wouldn't matter a whit to the persons credentials or abilities - but in this day and age unfortunately that is not what politics is about. It is all about optics and sound bites, not policy or ideas.

And as others have said, if you plan to run for dogcatcher - go and sanitize any public forums you have ever participated in.

I think we are quite puritanical. We are directly affected by our cousins south of us. If you look at politics elsewhere in the world i.e. France or Italy you'll encounter situations like this and folks shrug it off. If the guy was a pedophile or accepting payoffs, then different story, but a couple of fun pix posted on a private page on a website should not constitute all the tut-tutting thats happening.

What this does is show the dangers of social networking and how it can bite you in the ass years later.

Like All-Seeing-Eye said, employers dont just check the resume and references anymore.

And no I have never voted NDP nor will I ever vote for them, however, I think this stinks. He did the honorable thing by stepping back, but its wrong.

#52 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

Campbell should have stepped down because of his drinking and driving in Hawaii. Harcourt stepped down because of the Bingo Gate Scandal, but he wasn't involved. Yet because he was the party leader and premier, he took responsibility for not dealing with it properly.

What Lam did was an error in judgment, I wouldn't call it serious. I do respect his actions in stepping down.

#53 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

Campbell should have stepped down because of his drinking and driving in Hawaii. Harcourt stepped down because of the Bingo Gate Scandal, but he wasn't involved. Yet because he was the party leader and premier, he took responsibility for not dealing with it properly.

What Lam did was an error in judgment, I wouldn't call it serious. I do respect his actions in stepping down.

Lam should not have stepped down, neither should Campbell. What they did was not in anyway related to the governance of the province. We have had MLAs and MPs that have been convicted of serious crimes in the past, some of them before they were elected and some of them while they were in power and continued.

Oddly Lam had to step down, but the NDP candidate Mable Elmore who made comments that seemed to be intended to be anti-Semitic did not. I figure racism is much, much worse than having your picture taking at party when you are having fun.

In Bingogate, the NDP was guilty of doing some things and the people involved did not take responsibility and made sure it fell on the leader to have to resign. Harcourt was forced out by forces within his own party.

#54 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

I posted a sign for the Liberal candidate in my riding, Jesse McClinton, and two days later it was gone. The NDP signs for Rob Fleming nearby were still there. The BC STV sign I had up next to Jesse's sign was still there.

I know I live in a hardcore NDP neighbourhood, but I do not understand this pointless sign stealing people do. Whether people like it or not, the BC Liberals are the party that are going to win this election and are significantly more popular with the public than the NDP.

#55 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

Lam should not have stepped down, neither should Campbell. What they did was not in anyway related to the governance of the province. We have had MLAs and MPs that have been convicted of serious crimes in the past, some of them before they were elected and some of them while they were in power and continued.

Oddly Lam had to step down, but the NDP candidate Mable Elmore who made comments that seemed to be intended to be anti-Semitic did not. I figure racism is much, much worse than having your picture taking at party when you are having fun.

In Bingogate, the NDP was guilty of doing some things and the people involved did not take responsibility and made sure it fell on the leader to have to resign. Harcourt was forced out by forces within his own party.

Lam is young but he did the right thing and that way he can live to play another day. It is sad though when people can't have any kind of life without someone pulling out inconsequential crap on them.

#56 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:27 AM

I posted a sign for the Liberal candidate in my riding, Jesse McClinton, and two days later it was gone. The NDP signs for Rob Fleming nearby were still there. The BC STV sign I had up next to Jesse's sign was still there.

I know I live in a hardcore NDP neighbourhood, but I do not understand this pointless sign stealing people do. Whether people like it or not, the BC Liberals are the party that are going to win this election and are significantly more popular with the public than the NDP.

Stealing and trashing signs is lame.
A disgruntled parent makes a comment and the teen goes out and steals the sign.
Hopefully its not an organized activity.

#57 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:27 PM

Stealing and trashing signs is lame.
A disgruntled parent makes a comment and the teen goes out and steals the sign.
Hopefully its not an organized activity.

In my neighbourhood right centre signs are in danger in most elections, I simply accept this as something that will happen and someone always meets my low expectations.

I like a vigorous political debate, but the people in the partisan world are not interested in debating ideas. They are happier reverting to tribalistic us v them approach to politics.

My hope is that the shift to STV will counter some of the tribalism of the strongly partisan in politics. Most of the people opposing STV are people who are not interested in a debate of ideas in politics, they are only interested in their side winning.

#58 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

^ maybe if a few people were charged with defacing an election sign it would stop. I believe this was a problem for candidates on both sides of the spectrum in the run for city council.

#59 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

^I wouldn't call centre, centre-left and left-wing the other side of the political spectrum. If you can name one legitimate right-wing councillor in Victoria, i'd like to know who they are.

I absolutely agree that charges should be brought against people that vandalize or remove political signs, the hard part of course is catching them. You don't **** with democracy.

I agree with Urbanrail, Campbell should have stepped down as leader after getting the impaired charge. Leaders should be just that, they should not show contempt for the law and most people that get caught for drinking and driving have done it numerous times before they get caught. Having said that, I have voted Liberal and will do so again which shows just how much contempt I have for the NDP.

Bernard, I don't necessarily agree with your view that partisanship is the only reason people prefer our first-past-the-post democracy. The problem with STV is that it is more difficult and time-consuming which means that the turnout rate will probably be even lower than it is under our current system. I'll be very surprised if the turnout rate goes up using STV, although I have always liked it since it seems like a purer form of democracy.
In chains by Keynes

#60 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

^ maybe if a few people were charged with defacing an election sign it would stop. I believe this was a problem for candidates on both sides of the spectrum in the run for city council.

I always thought it was hooligans defacing and 'tagging' signs. If caught, they'd get off with a slap on the wrist.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users