Photo

May 12th Provincial Election

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:23 PM

A Victoria/Beacon Hill election forum on poverty and homelessness is scheduled for Wednesday, April 29 from 7-9 pm at Our Place, 919 Pandora Ave. (doors open at 6:30)

This forum is sponsored by Our Place, the Homelessness Action Committee, and Faith in Action
The candidates will respond to questions sent in advance by the organizers, and questions will be taken from the floor in written form (assistance with preparing questions will be provided as you enter).

The four candidates in this riding have been invited:
Carole James, NDP (confirmed)
Dallas Henault, Liberal
Adam Saab, Green
Viola Langley, Refederation Party
Pieta VanDyke

#62 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

The four candidates in this riding have been invited:
Carole James, NDP (confirmed)
Dallas Henault, Liberal
Adam Saab, Green
Viola Langley, Refederation Party

Good to see some action on all candidates meetings.

I believe that Viola Langley will not be running for office. She is no longer listed on the Refederation party website as a candidate

#63 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

My hope is that the shift to STV will counter some of the tribalism of the strongly partisan in politics. Most of the people opposing STV are people who are not interested in a debate of ideas in politics, they are only interested in their side winning.

Hmmm, interesting.

Why do you think we are having another referendum on STV? There isn't anything compelling Gordon Campbell to do so. Indeed, the fact that we are having another referendum indicates that he expects the results to be of no real consequence either way.

#64 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:14 AM

Sex Party added to campaign's fringe festival of bit players

:o
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#65 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:16 AM

From the above article:

An NDP candidate stepped aside on Sunday after his Liberal opponent drew attention to photographs on his Facebook page that were "racy" (Times Colonist), "raunch" (Winnipeg Sun), "dodgy" (The Province), "offensive and demeaning" (his Liberal rival), "inappropriate" (the candidate himself). The Globe was alone among the print media in reporting the candidate displayed "bulging underwear." That was shocking, as underwear normally billows, or balloons, and cotton is not known to become tumescent.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#66 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

The state has no business in the bedroom of the citizens. That should count for politicians as well. The last thing we need is a return to puritanism. Maybe I'll vote sex party this year.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#67 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

^ But then wouldn't government quite literally be in the bedroom?

#68 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

^ But then wouldn't government quite literally be in the bedroom?

Well it would make question period more interesting.

#69 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

I love this paragraph from the article.

Finally, the party insists Valentine's Day be an official holiday, while Victoria Day, which honours a prissy monarch, should be renamed Eros Day. No word yet whether the provincial capital should be renamed Eros, B.C. That might improve the tourist trade, but it's not likely to fool the rest of the province.

#70 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:32 AM

There was an interesting all candidates meeting as part of the regular Friday Forum yesterday at James Bay New Horizons.

Dallas Henault, Adam Saab and Donna Jones (former School Board Chair on behalf of Carole James) attended.

Donna read a speech from Carole but did not answer questions as she did not want to set policy.

Dallas Henault charmed the audience [NOT!] by referring to the senior women in the audience as "Miss". The air bristled all around me whenever he did this. He also regularly referenced the fact that he lives in Vancouver. (????)

Adam Saab, in response to a question about his position on poverty issues, told us that he doesn't know any poor people. And he didn't think that he ever would, because if he had a poor friend, he would give them a hand up..................!
Pieta VanDyke

#71 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:48 AM

Adam Saab, in response to a question about his position on poverty issues, told us that he doesn't know any poor people. And he didn't think that he ever would, because if he had a poor friend, he would give them a hand up..................!

How does one even begin to respond to that?
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#72 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

How does one even begin to respond to that?

Sounds like a nice person but no grasp of things beyond being "nice".
Unelectable.
Say good night, Adam.

#73 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

It seems that Adam doesn't have firm grasp of reality.

Donna read a speech from Carole but did not answer questions as she did not want to set policy.

so it was kind of pointless of her being there.

Dallas Henault remarks of living in Vancouver is kind of odd.

I have heard that Ida Chong has not been attending the All Candidates Meetings. I heard this on Shaw's "The Panel" which is hosted by Allan Perry every Thursday night.

#74 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

Speaking of my esteemed MLA, the illustrious Ida Chong, she and several devotees were holding signs, smiling and waving at the corner of OB Ave and Foul Bay yesterday afternoon.
The captive audiences waiting for green lights were exhorted to "Honk!"
I had to wait two light changes to cross the Tweed Curtain.
I didn't hear any honks.

#75 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

This is my prediction for the results locally in the election. I see four NDP and three Liberals locally.

Province wide I am leaning towards a strong Liberal win in the election, 66 Liberals and 19 New Democrats

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:31 AM

Province wide I am leaning towards a strong Liberal win in the election, 66 Liberals and 19 New Democrats

Thanks for you predictions Bernard. Do you feel these results will reflect the popular vote? I doubt very much that the Liberals have the support of 77% of the electorate yet you predict they will take 77% of the seats. Can you predict how this might change if we already had STV, instead of the antiquated and undemocratic FPTP process?

#77 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for you predictions Bernard. Do you feel these results will reflect the popular vote? I doubt very much that the Liberals have the support of 77% of the electorate yet you predict they will take 77% of the seats. Can you predict how this might change if we already had STV, instead of the antiquated and undemocratic FPTP process?

I am estimating popular vote province wide of:
  • Liberals - 48%
  • NDP - 35%
  • Greens - 14%
  • Others - 3%

So no, the results will not reflect the public will in this election, but that is the norm under the antiquated and bizarre electoral system we use at the moment. I have wondered if there might not be a charter challenge based on the electoral system we use.

If were using STV in this election, the nature of the election would be very different, so I will not predict what the outcome might be.

Please vote for BC STV and let all your friends and family know that they should vote for it as well.

Of interest to political junkies out there, here is a way for you to try out BC STV for this region.

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:42 PM

Please vote for BC STV and let all your friends and family know that they should vote for it as well.

Thanks again Bernard. I am TOTALLY in support of BC-STV as I feel anyone with even half a brain would be - and I AM telling everyone I know to support it, regardless of their political affiliation. The fact that we continue to declare (I refuse to say elect) governments with less than 50% of the popular vote, hearing them exclaim they "have the people's mandate", chills me to the bone. This is NOT democracy. For the life of me I cannot understand why people would be against an electoral system that better represents the way they vote. Sure STV is more complicated than FPTP, but shouldn't we as voters have to put a little thought into who we choose to govern us?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users