Photo

Social Media - Facebook - Twitter - Instagram

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#101 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:37 AM

Chilliwack school board trustee Barry Neufeld was censured last Tuesday by the Board of Education after a Facebook post criticizing the W.H.O. and alleging Dr. Tam is a deceptive transgender person.

https://www.saanichn...2za-0QexjLFEEKc

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:41 AM

And yet in our own neck of the woods calling a journalist a sexist and a misogynist for pursuing a story that could be embarrassing for an elected official is just standard fare normal stuff we shouldn’t really care for.

Can we agree how absurd the different thresholds are? You’ll be censured for criticizing the WHO and sharing some insane theory about a federal government bureaucrat, but it’s all good to attempt to destroy someone’s character when they’re just an average person? Not cool.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:55 AM

sexist etc. is subjective though. used all the time.

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:05 AM

First time I’ve ever heard of a local journalist being labelled as such. I don’t think it’s used all the time. But when used, it draws attention, and that’s the point I’m making.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

The order would require the Federal Communications Commission to “clarify” the law in a number of ways, proposing that “editing content” could lead to a platform forfeiting its protections under section 230

^ Trump's order, signed. So basically they dial back the censorship and the bias or they lose the legal protections

#106 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:53 PM

But if I put out a tweet saying the 2020 City of Victoria civic by-election is officially cancelled and Twitter appends it with a link saying the election is only postponed, that's censorship?

#107 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:59 PM

"The choices that Twitter makes when it chooses to suppress, edit, blacklist, shadowban are editorial decisions, pure and simple," Trump said. "In those moments Twitter ceases to be a neutral public platform and they become an editor with a viewpoint."

#108 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

But if I put out a tweet saying the 2020 City of Victoria civic by-election is officially cancelled and Twitter appends it with a link saying the election is only postponed, that's censorship?

They can do whatever they want but then they don't get statutory legal protections as a public platform. It's good policy and used to be bipartisan

#109 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:17 PM

trump probably wins with this action.  let's see if they touch another one of his tweets now.

#110 m3m

m3m
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:31 PM

The fact-checking is problematic. It should have been obvious that it was going to open a can of worms.  It's impossible to monitor every tweet and post even with a robust algorithm. 

Requiring total neutrality is equally problematic. For example, what if somebody tweets out revenge **rn? Twitter could lose it's 230 protections if they choose to take it down. 

Frankly, I'm not sure there is any effective way to combat the wave of fake news and efforts should be focused on education. 

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:40 PM

Last year Scarborough "speculated" Trump was a Russian agent on live television.

This year Trump "thinks" Scarborough is a murderer.

One man's opinion is fake news, but the other isn't?

But the problem isn't ours to solve, it's a problem for the billion dollar corporations that have made incredible sums of money mining our information and selling it to the highest bidder via their platforms.

Know it all.

#112 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

Last year Scarborough "speculated" Trump was a Russian agent on live television.

This year Trump "thinks" Scarborough is a murderer.

One man's opinion is fake news, but the other isn't?

But the problem isn't ours to solve, it's a problem for the billion dollar corporations that have made incredible sums of money mining our information and selling it to the highest bidder via their platforms.

To be fair, there's far more evidence that Trump is a Russian agent than that Scarborough is in any way a murderer.

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:41 PM

Oh he might be, but he might not. Both men are acting stupidly accusing each other or absurd things.

Back to the conspiracy world for a moment, my favourite from today is @Jack is a Republican, therefore he refused to cancel Trump’s account.

Know it all.

#114 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:51 PM

To be fair, there's far more evidence that Trump is a Russian agent than that Scarborough is in any way a murderer.

By far!!

• Rob Randall likes this

#115 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:40 PM

Oh he might be, but he might not. Both men are acting stupidly accusing each other or absurd things.

Back to the conspiracy world for a moment, my favourite from today is @Jack is a Republican, therefore he refused to cancel Trump’s account.

You use the word absurd. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Rob Randall likes this

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:51 PM

Yeah, you lose me when it drops to this level.

Be better.

Know it all.

#117 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

Equating those two events does not make any sense, sorry. Trump's behaviour toward Putin raises legitimate questions since there was no discernible strategic benefit to what he said in Helsinki.

#118 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:20 PM

Oh God. There is nothing that will stop this conspiracy theory. You guys are birther tier and don't even know it. Trump as a Russian agent is exactly as credible as Obama as a jesus hating Muslim extremist

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:24 PM

Well, we can leave it at this, I guess: one of the so-called dumbest men in history pulled off one of the most complicated and successful deceits in history.

The chances of that are extremely slim, but I suppose there is that chance, however small it may be.

Know it all.

#120 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:07 PM

Trump's not a Russian agent.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users