Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#2641 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

...what do they expect to find in North Park?

At the time these signs were planned, North Park may have had more pot shops per capita than any other part of the city.

#2642 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:41 AM

I followed that route on Google Maps and end up with 600 in the shadow of Rock Stuff and Shell. The entrance would be 610...

Double-check to make sure that you're measuring the distance in this reality and not in some alternate universe. Also, it would seem they went through Townline's mid-block walkways to get 660 on the nose.

#2643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Ok, hold on there buster. If these signs are based off of some contrived measurements that only a nerd could ever decipher, what's the point? Why not make the distances easy on the eyes and the noodle by rounding up or down to the nearest hundred of fifty?

Trust the City of Victoria to make something so simple and so logical as complicated and illogical as possible.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2644 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:18 PM

Why not make the distances easy on the eyes and the noodle by rounding up or down to the nearest hundred of fifty?

Because people don't trust measurements in round numbers.

#2645 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:22 PM

Trust is fleeting with those signs when the wayfind-o-matic tells you you're 40 meters from Government Street ...as you stand on Government Street reading the sign.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2646 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

Now I'm wondering just how cute Mike K.'s furry car would look if it had a big bald spot right on the hood.

I need to calm down a bit.

• Nparker likes this

#2647 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

^We all signed an agreement saying that topic would never come up.

I think these signs are great. The Lekwungen language might be on its last legs but that's no excuse for us to finish wiping it out. Aboriginal culture is on an upswing locally and it's good for us to play it up. We all know it's only a matter of time before a major First Nations structure is built on the Reid Site or the old Hydro lands. Face it, we can't trade on our tea and crumpets/wax museum/Irish Linens reputation much longer.

• Danma and nerka like this

#2648 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

Absolutely, the First Nations aspect to our region has huge marketing potential.

Know it all.

#2649 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

Absolutely, the First Nations aspect to our region has huge marketing potential.

I suppose it's a preferable form of exploitation than land trades for buttons and blankets infected with smallpox.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2650 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

There should also technically be a space between the number (600) and unit (m).

#2651 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:34 AM

Here is the strategy they employed to come up with these.

http://www.victoria....1 and 2 web.pdf

Thanks for that.  Honestly, I started giggling at "Wayfinding refers to systems that help people find their way from one place to another" and haven't had such a good laugh reading something filled with so much earnest bafflegab in a long while.  Signs are nice, who cares, but the "strategy" is utterly hilarious.  Just pretend Douglas Adams is winking at you while you read it.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this

#2652 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:09 AM

^I don't understand what you find funny about it. Is the technical language confusing? The complaints about our current wayfinding is that it's inconsistent. This adds clarity.

It may seem crazy to alert tourists to areas outside the Government Street bubble but I see long-term marketing and branding potential.

• VicHockeyFan, Danma and thundergun like this

#2653 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:35 AM

I like that we are using Lekwungen. 

• Danma likes this

#2654 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:09 AM

I don't mind one way or another.  But I'm not sure these signs are all too effective.  We should give people a little more credit for being able to figure things out on their own (or with maps, or with cell phones, or by wandering).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2655 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:18 AM

It's a very fine line between telling people where to go and allowing them to explore and discover on their own. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#2656 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

It's a very fine line between telling people where to go and allowing them to explore and discover on their own. 

I guess.  But if you wanted to tell them where things are, would North Park, Rock Bay, and Burnside/Gorge top your list?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2657 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

^Well, I guess you could make the argument this is about more than telling tourists where the seaplane dock is. It's also about reminding locals about their own neighbourhoods, about reinforcing identity. Again, it's marketing.

When I visit a city (over 20 countries so far) I appreciate seeing the names of the neighbourhoods even if I don't actually go there. It helps in orientation.

• Matt R. likes this

#2658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

Ok, true story as of this morning.

You guys ready?

Here goes.

I encountered a group of early 20-somethings who were standing at the corner of Discovery and Government pouring over a map and checking cellphones.

"Whatch y'all doing? Need help with directions?"

"Yeah, we're not sure where to find Burnside."

"I see. Well, you've found it, now turn around and go back."

"Wtf... ok."

For crying out loud, lol...

Know it all.

#2659 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

These folks thought there was something there. Something worth their time to check out.

Instead they encountered a sea of vacant lots, industrial buildings and a couple of dudes with shopping carts. The group was clearly confused as all fudge and laughed away the silliness of the "wayfinding" sign.

Rob, I appreciate your sentiment here. But the logical thing to do is to point people towards places of significance within the neighbourhood being identified (i.e. North Park's commercial strip).

Pushing someone to an invisible border where they encounter nothing of value or substance is laughable, but that's exactly what the City has done. Same schtick with North Park from Fisgard where tourists will gaze upon a Romeos once they take the walk, or pointing tourists to Fairfield from the foot of the tourist centre where they'll encounter a Budget rent-a-car lot. What the hell are they thinking at City Hall?

• Nparker and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#2660 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

I like the idea of tourists pushing out and finding places like that coffee shop on Mason Street in North Park or Wheelies in Rock Bay. As these areas gentrify they will increase in popularity. 

Maybe the kids thought Burnside was a pot district, like Blazeville or something.

• VicHockeyFan and vortoozo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users