• 52,997 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

lol.

#2982 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:59 AM

RBCM:

This museum wasn’t quite what we expected. I think if we’d read up on it a little more before visiting we may not have gone. The museum is primarily about the natural history and the history of the First Nations of British Columbia and nothing more than that.

We’d hoped to see more about the regions more recent history, including how the region developed in terms of its transport, communications and industry, etc, so maybe there is an opportunity there for a new museum?

Do we assume they missed a floor? Check out what somebody else says:

The section on early Victoria was also very good resembling a township and covering all the industries and commerce.

Maybe the "hidden gems" thing has become so aggravated that Victoria now has hidden gems within hidden gems?

#2983 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 03:52 PM

Was that first RBCM review written by the same guy who thought B.C. Experience was a good idea? 😂 Personally, I go to museums for history.

Edited by Kikadee, 30 June 2019 - 03:53 PM.

#2984 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

I've said it before that they really should be promoting this more as a key piece of the Victoria experience, not just for driving but for cycling, jogging, walking, etc. It seems like there are quite a few cycle tour operations now, which is good.

New Hampshire says:
If you have a car, do this. It costs nothing.

Yes, take this drive to view the beautiful ocean/sound and USA Olympic Park mountains. Then see some of the houses along the drive. Clearly there is money in Victoria!!!

-----

Eugene, OR says:
Victoria's beaches

Driving along Victoria's beaches is a must while visiting! There are so many stops along the route to explore. You'll find public art, walkways, benches, wildlife, historical markers, and incredible views of the Olympic Mountains, watch cruise ships and ferries and fishing boats, and enjoy the smell of the sea. It's also fun to gawk at the huge houses along the waterfront and dream of owning one. LOL

-----

Qatar says:
A must see and do. Beautiful views and great for pictures.

Head out of downtown past the legislature along Dallas drive and past Beacon Hill Park...... Follow the road around the sea. Great drive. You can head to Oak Bay or further... Places to park along the way. Beautiful. Great places for dog walking and lots to see like Mile Zero of the Trans Canada in Beacon Hill Pak and Terry Fox. Enjoy.... Stunning.

-----

Somebody says:
So worthwhile.

Walk the 10 -15 mins along the beautiful Government Street from the Inner Harbour, to Dallas Road and drink in the spectacular Straits (now the Salish Sea) and the Olympic Mountains. Left or right you will be able to access many of the coves that are incorporated in the marine trail. Or, if you still prefer the car - drive the route and still be impressed.

Take a packed lunch, stop at Mile 0 of the Trans-Canada Highway, located at the tip of Beacon Hill Park. Pack your smart phone away and just enjoy the scenery. Watch the sea birds, you may even see whales!

Walk or drive you will be impressed and refreshed.

-----

South Africa says:
Great Cycle Route

Flat, paved and beautiful. Whether walking, cycling or driving the views accross the bay are exceptional.

-----

Edmonton says:
I love this drive

I drive the scenic route almost every time that I visit Victoria. I enjoy it all the way from Mount Douglas Park, down through Cordova and Cadboro Bay to Oak Bay and Dallas Point. It is simply beautiful.

-----

White Rock says:
Awesome Cruise.

Great views from either side of the car and something different around every corner. Stormy seas, tranquil sunsets, amazing houses, snow capped mountains and so much more. This drive will show you something new every time you cruise it. Take your time, the folks in Victoria are in no rush...

-----

Carlsbad, CA says:
Beautiful drive

be sure to take beach blvd until it ends-you will see the raging ocean water on windy days as well as drive by many mansions all worth over well then a million dollars.

-----

Friday Harbor says:
Cruise the urban Coast

Water and mountain views of the Strait of Juan De Fuca, the Olympic Mountains and San Juan Islands of Washington State. And, interesting Victoria neighborhoods!

-----

Portland says:
Fantastic drive

Every night in Victoria, and we've been going 20 years, we take a twilight drive down Dallas and listen to jazz. Always different, always romantic, always beautiful.

-----

Pitt Meadows says:
Gorgeous Drive Captures Scenic Essence of Victoria

This scenic route is a must drive with some stops along the way to get out of your car, smell the ocean, enjoy the views and simply relax. There are a lot of old character houses as you drive by, so you get a great feel for this scenic part of the city as it has been for many years. The road keeps on going and will eventually lead you to various roads that can take you either back to the city or to continue your journey toward Sidney. I have driven this route many times over the years and love it, especially on a sunny day. Victoria is gorgeous and this route is a must see... and it's very romantic!

-----

Ottawa says:
Spectacular Ocean Views

The route is one of the most breathtaking drives we've taken. Every time we visit Victoria, it is a priority for us. Time permitting, we'll do it more than once. There are many parking facilities along the route where you can stop and enjoy the views and take pictures.The road is lined with parks where you can walk with the many pedestrians and dog walkers while admiring the Juan de Fuca Strait and its majestic Olympic Mountains. From the harbour drive around James Bay Village to access Dallas Road. It will follow the ocean, go through Oak Bay Village, Uplands and finally Cadboro Bay near the University of Victoria. Enjoy.

Edited by aastra, 08 July 2019 - 07:40 PM.

#2985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 07:43 PM

it would be nice to see a “beach access” map that covers everything from fishermans wharf to cordova bay or even to island view.

I bet some people never discover willows or casboro bay.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 July 2019 - 07:45 PM.

• tedward likes this

#2986 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:36 PM

It seems like there are quite a few cycle tour operations now, which is good.

There's even a place in Market Square that rents high-end racing bikes.

https://north48bikes...ad-bike-rentals

#2987 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Any or all of the above works IMO: I've said for years we should be promoting both our natural west coast/BC/VanIsle environment (which Europeans go nuts for), and also the unique culture of coastal FN's.

In the Rock Bay thread (I think) I mentioned now that the Songhees will be taking over that land ultimately that a true waterfront FN museum dedicated to coastal FN's culture would be perfect at that spot.

......anything but that stale, stuffy and completely wrong-headed "Bit of Olde Englande" bilge which I'm happy to say appears to have receded into the dustbin of Victoria tourism history (thank God!).

Insofar as "the England thing" I love that country - to visit. The family roots on both sides originated in Britain going back almost 1000 years, we still have relatives in London and Edinburgh, BUT....here's the thing....we aren't, weren't and never will be England. Not even a cheap facsimile.  And nor should we try to be. England is 8000 kilometers and an ocean away - right where it belongs. We are Canadians and our home is Canada. From a tourism, 'show-it-off-perspective' the province and this island in particular take a back to no other country or culture. Period. 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 09 July 2019 - 06:42 PM.

#2988 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:32 PM

Tourists are awed and horrified by highrise buildings (the reviewer is from Anacortes):

Marriott:

We opted for the balcony room on a high floor. First off, there are no chairs or anything similar on the balconies, it pretty much just juts out there and you stand there...not much to look at either. Next time I'll opt for a low floor, no balcony. It's not a very tall hotel anyway.

Edited by aastra, 30 July 2019 - 12:41 PM.

• Rob Randall likes this

#2989 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:40 PM

Parking at the Marriott:

I like Marriott properties. This one I use for as the location is good for meetings near by. The hotel staff, and restaurant staff are excellent, friendly caring individual BUT if you drive a car they have a terrible management policy on their parking lot. You cannot prepay or reserve parking when you reserve a room. Parking in downtown Victoria is very very hard to find so their first in first out policy can result in your having to search all over to park your car somewhere with all the security risks and total inconvenience if you happen to be too late in the afternoon for any space. Management has been approached several times asking why if you are willing to pay for parking in advance when you have a confirmed room reservation why they treat you so poorly- unfortunately they do not care - a bad policy that diminishes an otherwise excellent experince - they should revisit this approach

#2990 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

^ Fair comment. I have found parking a challenge at the Marriott myself for luncheons and other events.

Edited by spanky123, 31 July 2019 - 07:43 AM.

#2991 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:27 AM

This happened to my parents when they stayed at the Marriott at Christmas.  There was a hockey tournament or something and the parking lot was full when they arrived.  They still offered valet service because apparently there is an offsite parking lot somewhere that they use.  We were advised to give them 20 minutes notice in advance of needing the car so that somebody could run and get it.  We forgot to do this one day and gave our tag to the valet desk in the lobby and 30 seconds later we see the valet literally running down the road towards the Parkside hotel (I assumed the two hotels had some sort of agreement). 5 mins later, he arrived with the car.  I was impressed. 

Sounds to me that the reviewer was just too cheap to spring for valet parking. 

I feel like all downtown hotels in Victoria have this problem though.  The Empress has 464 guest rooms.  The parking lot has 305 spaces and it is shared with the conference centre.  

• Rob Randall likes this

#2992 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:11 AM

As a follow up, I generally find "being cheap" is the reason for an overwhelming majority of complaints on trip advisor. 

"Oh, you're disappointed that we checked you into a small room overlooking the parking lot? Let me check your reservation.  Yes, that's indeed what you've booked and paid for.  I can offer you an upgrade to one of our superior rooms with stunning views of the inner harbour for only $60 more a night. Oh, you're not willing to pay for the upgrade? You want it for free? Unfortunately we cannot accommodate your request during our busy season. Enjoy your stay.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#2993 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

I have to disagree about the "old England" thing. We have friends from California who like to come up here just for that...and it's not just old folks. They bring their three teenage granddaughters who absolutely love the quaintness, what's left of it. They're really not interested in First Nations nor a lot of the natural world, they have all that in California. They loved the old buildings, taking tea, going to gift shops. They don't care about trendy restaurants nor coffee places. Again, they have all that at home.  I think Europeans may be more into the other stuff, but not Americans. Visitors from Texas said the same, they come for the old buildings and quaintness. It would be like if Quebec City lost its connection to old France. Why would anyone visit? Victoria is becoming a pile of generic mush.

#2994 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

How can a city with nearly half a million people be quaint? I don't understand that.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2995 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:33 PM

I weep no tears for those who refuse to visit Victoria because it is no longer "quaint".

#2996 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:35 PM

How can a city with nearly half a million people be quaint? I don't understand that.

I suspect when you come from a city 4 million, coming to a small town like Victoria (population ~90,000) where building aren't more than a few stories tall, have brick facades, and like to play up their ties to Old England and Pub-food and the like, it can appear quaint.

#2997 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

Many of San Francisco's neighbourhoods are extremely quaint, blowing Victoria's wildest dreams about quaintness out of the water. Even if old Victoria had been preserved methinks it wouldn't rank in the same league. Montreal's old areas are also very quaint. Heck, even Gastown is more quaint than anything in Victoria.

#2998 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

For a guy that's been to Europe a few times you're pretty unobservant. Florence, Vienna, Krakow and hundreds more, they all have quaint little old towns. Few tourists venture out into the vast sprawling suburbs where most people actually live.

Huge numbers of conventional Victoria tourists venture no further than 100 m either side of Government Street. They come for the quaintness and that's OK.

• aastra likes this

#2999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:59 PM

But there are 200,000 people in the City of Victoria each business day.

Nobody goes to Halifax because it’s quaint, I don’t think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3000 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

I have to disagree about the "old England" thing. We have friends from California who like to come up here just for that...and it's not just old folks. They bring their three teenage granddaughters who absolutely love the quaintness, what's left of it. They're really not interested in First Nations nor a lot of the natural world, they have all that in California. They loved the old buildings, taking tea, going to gift shops. They don't care about trendy restaurants nor coffee places. Again, they have all that at home.  I think Europeans may be more into the other stuff, but not Americans. Visitors from Texas said the same, they come for the old buildings and quaintness. It would be like if Quebec City lost its connection to old France. Why would anyone visit? Victoria is becoming a pile of generic mush.

I was specifically speaking about my English family who, last time I checked, are European, not American. But I get your point.

And that's fine we can agree to disagree; my point still stands though, for the reasons outlined.

As my English/European family pointed out "You (Victoria) don't do s*** as far as Olde Englande is concerned - because you do it so poorly". As my uncle said why the hell would I or anyone from the UK want to jump on a plane, fly half way around the world to see a crap imitation of his own country? In that case as he pointed out they might as well stay home and see the Real Deal. Which we ain't, and not by a long shot....

And consider this: would you visit Rome if it was parading around trying to mimic Victoria? Or Tokyo, or Mexico City, or New York, or Paris - all for whatever bizarre reason passing themselves off (poorly) as somewhere else? Of course not - you go to those places to experience them for what *they* are. We all have images in our heads and preconceptions of course of what New York or Paris is all about - and I highly doubt any of us imagine them looking like Gordon Head or Langford.....

To my point again: "we" are_not England. Period. Not even close according to my English family, who should know. So why the subterfuge is really my question, and its why I have a beef with that whole false schtick. It may have worked once upon a time - 50 years or more ago - but IMO we should celebrate and present to the rest of the world who and what we actually are and what we have to offer - a unique west Coast Canadian experience, culture and geography.

I'm not interested in us playing a game of Olde Britain: Olde Britain died 150 years ago.

Even the British don't give a rat's patoot and certainly themselves don't identify with some musty ancient notion of "Empire". That Empire is dead and buried and its not coming back, it resides only in the history books. All I'm suggesting is that if you really want authentic crumpets and tea, or thatched roofs, overdone bland food - then by all means hit up England. The real England. IMO Victoria can do better. Much better.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users