Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3001 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,932 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:03 PM

back in the 70s and 80s my british relatives loved our k-mart when they came to visit. i don’t recall them mentioning how close / far it was from english setting. not k-mart but our city.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2019 - 07:04 PM.

#3002 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:43 PM

How can a city with nearly half a million people be quaint? I don't understand that.

Hard work and a bad attitude.  

#3003 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 10:19 AM

Wilson's Group is planning to add electric ferries to their Victoria Gray Line operation: https://www.timescol...jolt-1.23910346

#3004 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 01:59 PM

Their electric vessel has been all around the Inner Harbour in the last few days. I even saw it put in to the Vic Int. Marina. Great promotion work for this company. Obviously worked. Now Gray Line will be running them as a hop on-hop off. This is the first challenger to Victoria Harbour Ferries I would think.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3005 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:06 PM

Hop-on hop-off should have been the harbour taxi’s model from the get go. $20 and you’re good for the day.
  • zoomer likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3006 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Unfortunately the Harbour Ferry has completely disregarded local users. There used to be an annual pass, or you could buy a bunch of hops that they could scan from your phone. Now thanks to some bad management, Victoria residents just have to pay a full $7 every time they want to use the ferry. No pass. No frequent user discounts. I'm doing even more walking than I used to, because I don't want to shell out a full fare every time I go anywhere.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3007 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,932 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:35 AM

that's too bad they cancelled the annual pass.  i wonder if it was somehow abused.

#3008 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:06 PM

Unfortunately the Harbour Ferry has completely disregarded local users. There used to be an annual pass, or you could buy a bunch of hops that they could scan from your phone. Now thanks to some bad management, Victoria residents just have to pay a full $7 every time they want to use the ferry. No pass. No frequent user discounts. I'm doing even more walking than I used to, because I don't want to shell out a full fare every time I go anywhere.

But will the new ferry be any different?

#3009 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,932 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

the best deal is the "hop-on-hop-off bc transit system" at $5/day.  i think a lot of tourists have figured that out too.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2019 - 12:17 PM.

#3010 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:23 PM

Very weak tourism numbers in July according to Chemistry. https://chemistrycon...n-June-2019.pdf

I commented here that privately operators were anticipating a 10% drop in overall numbers (outside of cruise) and it may turn out that they are not that far off.

#3011 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,023 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

They are all skipping Victoria and coming directly to Salt Spring, it would appear.

Matt.

#3012 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,932 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 04:41 PM

i think that's a june report not july.  weather not great.

#3013 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

i think that's a june report not july.  weather not great.

You are right on the month!

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#3014 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

Was anyone else aware that our region was mounting a serious bid to host the 2022 Invictus Games?

Greater Victoria’s island location may hurt its case as it competes against Germany’s seventh largest city Duesseldorf for the right to host the 2022 Invictus Games as one of two finalists, with a final announcement not until November, the public heard Monday...“There are lots of strengths, it’s very, very clear,” Dominic Reid, [chief executive officer of the Invictus Games Foundation] said in calling Victoria a “wonderful potential host city” that has a lot going for itself. “The community spirit is terrific,” he said. “But as you know…if you want something that is a little bit of a challenge, you are on Vancouver Island. It is somewhere where you gotta bring people to from around the world.”...Peter Lawless, who heads Victoria’s bids, said the games and Victoria are “perfectly matched” for each other because of Greater Victoria’s status as a military community, as well as its reputation for producing top athletes. The scale of the games also fit the community, he added. Current estimates peg the total cost of hosting the games at $39 million...

https://www.vicnews....invictus-games/

#3015 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:56 PM

Was anyone else aware that our region was mounting a serious bid to host the 2022 Invictus Games?

Yup. A couple of munis have committed funding. The Invictus Games Foundation people are in town as we speak doing venue tours. I believe there is a wrap up reception tomorrow or Wednesday night at Government House.

#3016 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:58 PM

^ And certain CoV Councillors made sure everyone knew that their support for the Games was not support for war

• shoeflack likes this

#3017 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

I am sure Dusseldorf will be the victor, but it seems as though the local bid has not received much press.

#3018 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:02 AM

I am sure Dusseldorf will be the victor, but it seems as though the local bid has not received much press.

Local and Provincial Governments don't want the games. They contributed token funding for a proposal but I haven't heard of anyone offering to pony up $39M. I think that they will do the minimum needed to get some free PR and donor support but that will be it.

#3019 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

Local and Provincial Governments don't want the games. They contributed token funding for a proposal but I haven't heard of anyone offering to pony up $39M. I think that they will do the minimum needed to get some free PR and donor support but that will be it.

Ya, that's not at all true. The has been a financial commitment from multiple levels of government for the hosting part itself, just nothing formally announced to the public. One municipality in particular is extremely eager to host key events. The key people on the bid committee are heavy hitters, people that tend to only attach their names to legitimate bids. It's a much different makeup than the Commonwealth Games bid committee. Those Games weren't supported by government; these ones are very much so.

#3020 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

Ya, that's not at all true. The has been a financial commitment from multiple levels of government for the hosting part itself, just nothing formally announced to the public. One municipality in particular is extremely eager to host key events. The key people on the bid committee are heavy hitters, people that tend to only attach their names to legitimate bids. It's a much different makeup than the Commonwealth Games bid committee. Those Games weren't supported by government; these ones are very much so.

I would think that if "multiple levels of Government" are committing taxpayer funds then the taxpayer should know.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users