Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#3121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:25 PM

Victoria is a day-trip (ie two nights) destination from Seattle and Vancouver. The odd adventurous person will rent a car and check out Sooke.

Very few people travel directly to Victoria from, say, Chicago, like they would by the thousands to Vancouver.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3122 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:30 PM

When I lived in Banff, one of the top questions I would get was whether a trip to Victoria was worth it. The common package deal was a flight to Calgary -> Banff -> Vancouver -> Alaska cruise, and departing flight from Vancouver. There were almost always a few flex days in Vancouver with Victoria as one option.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#3123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:10 PM

Some bad news.

I spent the weekend up-Island in the Qualicum and Comox areas, and Victoria’s street issues are common knowledge and fodder for locals who find out you’re from there. At least that was our experience.

It’s busy up-Island. Not every place has no vacancy, but some certainly did. Parksville especially was quite alive with lots of people making good use of their beachfront park. Qualicum was delightful as well, with a great vibe.

I’m not sure what I’m saying exactly, but I don’t think it’s helpful for Victoria’s image when Islanders are developing a relatively negative perception of the Capital Region, whereas historically the Capital had been revered as the jewel of the Island.
  • Matt R., A Girl is No one and Spy Black like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3124 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:40 PM

Chek News and other local media outlets seem to be relentlessly pushing the narrative that Downtown is in total disarray so I'm not surprised that's the impression people get up island. 

With regard to tourism, Victoria and Vancouver have likely been hit harder than places like Tofino, Parksville, Whistler, etc. as we are more of interest to international visitors but less of a "getaway" for BC residents. I can't imagine someone from Nanaimo wanting to check out Craigdarroch Castle or go on a Chinatown tour as much as they'd like to stay at the Tigh Na Mara Resort or go for a day trip to Long Beach. The loss of cruise ship passengers and international travel have hurt us much more than they would hurt smaller resort towns.

• Matt R. likes this

#3125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:48 PM

...The loss of cruise ship passengers and international travel have hurt us much more than they would hurt smaller resort towns.

I guess time will tell if international tourists choose to come to Victoria in their previous numbers when the world opens up again. Anti-cruise ship sentiment on CoV council certainly isn't going to help and the current nightmare of camping in city parks is bound to be making it's way into international travel circles.

#3126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

Chek News and other local media outlets seem to be relentlessly pushing the narrative that Downtown is in total disarray so I'm not surprised that's the impression people get up island.

With regard to tourism, Victoria and Vancouver have likely been hit harder than places like Tofino, Parksville, Whistler, etc. as we are more of interest to international visitors but less of a "getaway" for BC residents. I can't imagine someone from Nanaimo wanting to check out Craigdarroch Castle or go on a Chinatown tour as much as they'd like to stay at the Tigh Na Mara Resort or go for a day trip to Long Beach. The loss of cruise ship passengers and international travel have hurt us much more than they would hurt smaller resort towns.

I don’t think I totally agree.

We are the shopping/entertainment/business centre of Vancouver Island and Islanders do come to the Capital for cultural experiences, spas, getaways as much as someone from the Capital might want to go to Tigh Na Mara.

The reduction is visitors is likely due more to a decimation of the entertainment and cultural industries than a reduction in international visitors, and throw in the endless negative messaging and the variables at play are combining for tough times.

So before, someone from Comox would come to Victoria, but now they’re going to Nanaimo, is that it? I’m just throwing darts at the board but I genuinely don’t buy our issues during a staycation summer in this country as related exclusively to no international travel.
  • Spy Black likes this

Know it all.

#3127 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

in think islanders and British Columbians do come here to visit the museum. thankfully we have that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 September 2020 - 05:25 PM.

• Spy Black likes this

#3128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:01 PM

We don’t even have to guess.

Tourism Vic conducted a survey in 2019 https://www.tourismv...eport_final.pdf

Canadians make up 36% of summer visitors, Americans 40 and international 24. Over the year it’s 50% Canadians (72% in winter, 56% in spring, 36% in summer and 49% in fall). 51% of Canadians are BC’ers, 21% Albertans.

Taking all of this into account, and with the staycation in Canada, shouldn’t we have seen more than 35% occupancy at hotels? You’d think there would be a flood of Canadian travellers who wanted to visit relatively safe BC, and the even safer Island?

I don’t know, but a tourism town like Victoria having such a tough go when this was the year for so many Canadians to finally visit the city is a topic that should be getting more attention.

Know it all.

#3129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

One thing I should mention is the surveys were also conducted in “touristy” spots. So the group of 20-somethings who came down from Courtenay and stayed at the Zed to do some shopping and catch a band they like wouldn’t have been counted. That’s why the Vancouver Island data shows such a low response rate. Almost 80% of survey responses were received from the museum and the tourism info centre. That’s not going to catch the people heading to spas from Port Alberni or North Cowichan.

Know it all.

#3130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:16 PM

You’ll note in the survey on page 31 the negatives.

In each season, traffic congestion is a top concern, right along with affordability. Each season ranks negatives differently and it’s quite interesting to read that feedback.

Know it all.

#3131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:39 PM

affordability is not getting any better with the loss of so many hotels to the homeless plus the air BnB restrictions.
  • Nparker and Spy Black like this

#3132 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

affordability is not getting any better with the loss of so many hotels to the homeless...

Especially as two significant losses of hotel rooms took place in moderate-mid-priced accommodations. 

#3133 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

In Hong Kong the hotels are offering staycation packages only available to HK'ers. A night or two at the hotel with dinner and breakfast type of deal all for about half the normal room rate. It's getting great take up.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3134 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:07 PM

Why didn't Tourism Victoria - or whatever they call themselves now - implement a version of the "Tourist in Your Own Hometown" program for the summer? It could have been tied in with a "safely distanced" Dine Around program to encourage people to try local restaurants.

#3135 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:44 PM

My guess is that we may lose up to half the restaurants in town by Christmas. I think it is next to impossible to predict the situation a year from now. While one hopes for a real recouvery there is also a real possible of a very long downturn.

• Spy Black likes this

#3136 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:19 PM

Well here is what Jeff Bray of DVBA has to say:
« For months, the 1,500 business in the downtown core have been dealing with ever-increasing issues of street disorder, crime, break and enters, shoplifting, and property damage. Since the devastating start of COVID, these issues have only worsened. As a result of the pandemic, we are seeing record-low tourism and only 20 per cent and 30 per cent of office staff are returning. The increased encampments in and around downtown creates an impression the area is unsafe. Locals are discouraged from visiting downtown at exactly the time businesses need them most.«

https://www.bclocaln...ryones-support/

Edited by A Girl is No one, 20 September 2020 - 09:20 PM.

• Nparker, theboss, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#3137 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:03 PM

Neither my wife or I feel safe much less comfortable downtown these days. Spending our time and dollars in Oak Bay.  

#3138 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,042 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:20 PM

Some bad news.

I spent the weekend up-Island in the Qualicum and Comox areas, and Victoria’s street issues are common knowledge and fodder for locals who find out you’re from there. At least that was our experience.

It’s busy up-Island. Not every place has no vacancy, but some certainly did. Parksville especially was quite alive with lots of people making good use of their beachfront park. Qualicum was delightful as well, with a great vibe.

I’m not sure what I’m saying exactly, but I don’t think it’s helpful for Victoria’s image when Islanders are developing a relatively negative perception of the Capital Region, whereas historically the Capital had been revered as the jewel of the Island.

lol, someone posted a graphic description with photos of an incident with a “parkie” on salt spring today, one comment from a local:

Omg victoria is a **** hole now drug addicts run this mayor she lets them make the laws

Matt. 

#3139 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:23 AM

Matt: Not far from the truth as matters stand in Victoria.

#3140 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

I don’t think I totally agree.

We are the shopping/entertainment/business centre of Vancouver Island and Islanders do come to the Capital for cultural experiences, spas, getaways as much as someone from the Capital might want to go to Tigh Na Mara.

The reduction is visitors is likely due more to a decimation of the entertainment and cultural industries than a reduction in international visitors, and throw in the endless negative messaging and the variables at play are combining for tough times.

So before, someone from Comox would come to Victoria, but now they’re going to Nanaimo, is that it? I’m just throwing darts at the board but I genuinely don’t buy our issues during a staycation summer in this country as related exclusively to no international travel.

"New research from Harvard University’s Growth Lab finds a direct link between a jurisdiction’s incoming business travel and the performance of local industries that are connected to external markets. For B.C., this could include film and television production, much of the high technology sector and commercial services that are traded internationally. The absence of business meetings, conferences and conventions will also hit the province’s economy hard."  https://theorca.ca/v...s-lonely-roads/

"True, the resulting loss of customers for the tourism sector has been partially offset by more locals vacationing within the province. The Okanagan and Vancouver Island, in particular, have benefited from this trend. However, from the perspective of the tourism and travel sector as a whole, the loss of lucrative international tourists and business visitors far exceeds any gains from more British Columbians holidaying closer to home."

"Continuing to promote domestic tourism makes sense given that international restrictions are likely to remain in place for several more months at least. Another way to restart tourism would be to establish “travel bubbles” with jurisdictions that have successfully managed the rate of COVID-19 infections and have strong health protocols. Canadian policy-makers should also be encouraging safe air travel, following the approaches used by other advanced economies and building on Canada’s Flight Plan for Navigating COVID-19 released by Transport Canada last month.

"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users