• LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:56 PM

Are those a country or a colony?

#1722 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

They're French islands, like Hawaii is American, so technically you'd be in France if you were walking around on either of them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1723 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:29 PM

http://en.wikipedia....re_and_Miquelon

#1724 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

They're French islands, like Hawaii is American, so technically you'd be in France if you were walking around on either of them.

Not Technically but absolutely and unequivically you ARE in France I have been there and there is nothing Canadian at all about them.

#1725 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

At any rate they rhat means France and the United States is the correct answer.

#1726 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

How did Dallas Road get its name?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1727 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

In the olden days, some of the cows from Cattle Point wandered over to the Ross Bay cemetery and had to rounded up by some cowboys

who just happened to be visiting from Dallas, and they drove those cows back along that there road.

• KAS likes this

#1728 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

He was a HBC top guy.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:44 AM

Quite the major road named after an HBC guy. Hmm...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1730 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

In the olden days, some of the cows from Cattle Point wandered over to the Ross Bay cemetery and had to rounded up by some cowboys

who just happened to be visiting from Dallas, and they drove those cows back along that there road.

Incorrect! Dallas was not even a city until 1856.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1731 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Why don't we solve the problem by renaming Vancouver to Gastown.  That'd also help with confusion over Vancouver, Washington, after all.

• Nparker and tedward like this

#1732 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:16 AM

Why don't we solve the problem by renaming Vancouver to Gastown.  That'd also help with confusion over Vancouver, Washington, after all.

Yes we do have a lot of gas, what with election campaigns and such.

#1733 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

Alexander Dallas

http://www.biographi..._grant_11E.html

#1734 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Elk Falls is putting on a cool show right now.  BC Hydro ought ot make it an annual event, a good tourist draw.

http://www.timescolo...rrent-1.1492144

When you get out of your car at the viewing parking lot of Elk Falls in Campbell River, you can feel the ground move.

The falls are the biggest they have been in recent memory because B.C. Hydro has had to double the flow to avoid possible flood problems in the Upper Campbell Reservoir/Buttle Lake.

That has turned a normally beautiful, scenic falls into a raging torrent, pounding into the canyon and sending mist hundreds of feet into the air.

On Saturday, the parking lot was packed with cars as people took the opportunity to see the falls like they're rarely seen.

On the viewing platform beside the falls, you can't hear someone speaking beside you and you had better have rain gear on even if it's sunny.

B.C. Hydro doubled the flows over the falls to 85 cubic metres per second.

"This is being done to proactively control the reservoir level and for flood risk management," said B.C. Hydro's Stephen Watson.

The spill is expected to last until Nov. 8. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.gc3SHHYQ.dpuf

#1735 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:11 PM

It will be nice once the foot bridge is completed over the canyon so one can look right down to the base of the falls

#1736 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Quite the major road named after an HBC guy. Hmm...

Since the first settlers worked for the Hudson's Bay Company, it makes sense, don't you think?
Pieta VanDyke

#1737 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 03:44 PM

It wasnt such a major rd back then it was a dirt track

#1738 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:06 PM

Hudson’s Bay Company Chief Factor James Douglas arrived in 1842, and every road was dirt back then including the major trails/roads.

The early trials were a disaster. Even though many cities like Toronto and Vancouver already had wood-block pavements, Victoria didn’t study their work and used blocks of untreated fir that rotted away after a few years. In 1907 the city built a huge creosote plant to preserve the wood, and began paving on a massive scale. In January of 1908, labourers paved Government Street with 330,000 pieces of fir, and in April the city ordered a million more. By the end of that year, nearly all downtown streets west of Douglas and south of Herald were paved with wood blocks – including Waddington Alley , the only place in the city where you can still see them today. In 1909, property owners voted to have Douglas Street covered with asphalt instead of wood. By 1917, the city had 89 kilometres of asphalt streets.

http://unknownvictor...g-paradise.html

#1739 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

Hudson’s Bay Company Chief Factor James Douglas arrived in 1842, and every road was dirt back then including the major trails/roads.

When Douglas arrived here there were no roads period let alone dirt ones. And in that time period there were no major anythings

Thats the most innacurate history blurb i have ever read on this forum

It was good for a laugh though

#1740 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

I think he meant in the time period that he was here.  Not upon arrival.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users