Photo

Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#1701 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:37 PM

Those are all too complicated -- let's make it simple, memorable, unique.

How about "Cuba"?

• Nparker likes this

#1702 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

There already is a Victoria Island in Canada too. I don't ever see a rename happening in my lifetime unless Cascadia were to come to fruition...

Salish Island could work if you want an indigenous connection. My preference is for a name that can be used with or without the term 'island'. IE. Britain or British Isles. or Maui or Maui Island...

By the way, I like Salish Sea Drive for Dallas/Beach rd. Sounds great, and it overlooks ... the Salish Sea!

#1703 Matmons

Matmons
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

Vancouver Island was originally called Quadra's and Vancouver's Island, so if we were to drop the Vancouver name it would make sense to call it.... oh wait. Taken.

#1704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

Those are all too complicated -- let's make it simple, memorable, unique. How about "Cuba"?

In a similar vein, how about something that (sort of) reflects the island's shape: Rectangula

#1705 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:09 PM

Since the name was Quadra's and Vancouver's Island why not swap with the current Quadra Island?

Or maybe:

Cascadia Island

Esquimalt Island

San Lorenzo Island (from: Puerto de San Lorenzo de Nuca aka Friendly Cove)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1706 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

I think Esquimalt is difficult to pronounce.  So it's like the tricky to pronounce items on the French restaurant menu, you don't order them.  So if you go to the travel agent and they say, what looks good here?  You won't choose Esquimalt Island for fear of pronouncing it wrong.  Instead you'll choose Cuba.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1707 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:59 PM

Vancouver Island was originally called Quadra's and Vancouver's Island, so if we were to drop the Vancouver name it would make sense to call it.... oh wait. Taken.

Crazy, I never knew it was called Quadra's Island. That's a cool word.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1708 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Cascadia Island

• Nparker and tedward like this

#1709 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

Its got to have a prominent name that alludes to it's size. And it can't be a name that nobody could spell or pronounce like Tsawwassen.

Nanaimo would flip if we named it Victoria Island.

Isle of British Columbia, now that's a prominent name (a la Isle of Man). Kinda weird, but its got some weight behind it.

Great West Isle?  Great West for short?  I'm sure British Columbia is confusing for some tourists too.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1710 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

How do you mean are you suggesting that when they book a flight to the west coast of Canada they are confused thinking they are in the UK just because of the name?

#1711 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

How do you mean are you suggesting that when they book a flight to the west coast of Canada they are confused thinking they are in the UK just because of the name?

Understandably, most US tourists do not know any Canadian provinces by name.  Just like you and I don't know many or any Mexican or Greenland states by name.  Or counties in Oregon.  Even if we've been to Cabo San Lucas or Portland ten times.

So you mix British (England?) with Columbia (Colombia, South America?) and it makes no geographic sense.

#1712 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

The name British Columbia has nothing to do with the South American Colombia which is spelled different but I suppose it could confuse 1 out every 10000 visitors but I know that if I fly some where I usually know where I am going and some place names. Is not like I go completely ignorant.

#1713 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:04 PM

The name British Columbia has nothing to do with the South American Colombia which is spelled different but I suppose it could confuse 1 out every 10000 visitors but I know that if I fly some where I usually know where I am going and some place names. Is not like I go completely ignorant.

You would be surprised; I was in a 3-day conference in Houston (TX) as recently as 2007. During a lunch break one of the other attendees - a CIO from Virginia, well educated and very well travelled - was introduced to our group "our northern friends from British Columbia". His brow furrowed and after trying and clearly failing to recall basic geography he said "So you're from South America??" Happens more often than you might think.....

• jonny likes this

#1714 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:18 PM

...Happens more often than you might think.....

Americans have some of the poorest geographic skills I have ever encountered; well-educated or not.

#1715 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:34 PM

Americans have some of the poorest geographic skills I have ever encountered; well-educated or not.

True but lets not be too hard on our southern cousins since being geographically or knowledge-challenged is not something limited to them. Some of the dumbest comments and questions I have heard, bar none, especially when travelling in the Caribbean, have come from my fellow Canuckians. My favorite was the cowpoke from Alberta who wanted to know when the Mayan King would make an appearance at ChichenItza. He seemed not to willing to believe me when I mentioned the last true Mayan king, prior to the Spanish-Colonial period, died about 1000 years ago....

And while some people especially in Victoria (still) have a soft spot for "Old Blighty" rest assured, as someone with lots of British lineage and cousins, the vast majority of Britons are just as challenged as any American when it comes to knowledge of or about this country. And in my experience they care even less. I was out recently with an old friend and his British cousin, a "financier" (I mentioned that I understood he was "in banking" at which point he quite pointedly huffed and dropped the "financier if you please!" title. Whatever). He was in his late 40's, had never been to Canada and was shocked to learn that Elizabeth II was the Queen of Canada. To which he sarcastically responded "Go get your own Queen and stop glomming onto ours!!" Again no knowledge or understanding of anything to do with Canada. Ignorant people are wherever you find them....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 28 October 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#1716 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, most people are geographically challenged regardless of where they're from. We just pick on Americans because it's convenient.

Most Europeans have no idea just how vast this country is unless they've traveled here. Heck, once my family received phone calls from European family members who were worried about us because of a massive storm in Toronto. Always good for a laugh, especially when they try to book plane tickets to Toronto and ask how long it would take to bus to Victoria. Ha!

Here's a question most Canadians are absolutely stumped by: name the oceans bordering Canada.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1717 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,786 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:47 PM

Here's a question most Canadians are absolutely stumped by: name the oceans bordering Canada.

The Pacific, the Atlantic and the Arctic. I have nothing but pity for any Canadian who gets this wrong.

#1718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

The other question which will trump most Canucks is: what is the closest country to Canada?

Hint: it's kind of a trick question.

Know it all.

#1719 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:54 PM

Who would not say the United States?

#1720 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:55 PM

We have foreign islands within our waters off the coast of Newfoundland. Most people would have no idea, but technically speaking two French islands are "within" Canada as far as our maritime border is concerned :)

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users