Victoria tourism issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
3426 replies to this topic

#1661 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Has anyone stayed in a local hotel lately?

It seems to me an awesome place to advertise other locations is inside hotel rooms where you are already aiming at someone that is travelling, or travels.  And you have their attention for a few hours each day. 

It seems to be that a large framed art piece, with this and the Tofino tourism website and a simple message, "only 65 minutes away, flights daily from Victoria" would be a pretty awesome, simple ad for Tofino.  Replace the boring old wall art in the hotel with that.

10177477_717683378254244_711307229_n.jpg

• LocalMom and tedward like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1662 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,608 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Ok sure. My point is 500km to drive from one tip to the other and back isn't exactly a one-day excursion. Most visitors have no idea what they're getting themselves into and aren't prepared to make the best of even the south Island until they return.

No question most people not from BC have little to no notion of what is here and the breadth and depth of the geography; my distant English cousins showed up a few years ago with a disclaimer from their travel agent to "give Victoria a skip" unless they were garden aficionados in which case "the Butchart Gardens makes it worth one night overnight; otherwise there isn't much there". Clearly claims by Pam et al to the contrary, much of the rest of the world either is unaware of or could care less about a 90 year old hotel or our "faux pas" (not really the) Parliament Buildings....

You'll even see this in the TripAdvisor "BC" forums whenever someone not from BC or Canada says "I have x days" to spend in the north-west and asks which destination(s) are worth seeing (Northwest destinations of note typically being defined on those forums as Vancouver, Seattle, Whistler and Victoria). Almost invariably unless a responder from the island jumps in, tourists posting questions often end with something like "....was thinking of giving Victoria a miss".

#1663 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,498 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

One of the reasons I moved back here was due to meeting fellow travellers who swooned over the fact I was from here. It's how I learned about the Horn Lake Caves and it motivated me to do the Juan de Fuca trail. I don't think the island is off the radar at all.

#1664 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Cool video.

Looked like quite a bit of Sidney there?

Where was that where those girls went swimming (cliff jumping)?

Sooke potholes?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1665 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

What would have worked I think is if they had a dashcam video from a float plane coming up Finlayson Arm and then turning in on final from the south so that you would see the whole city come into view and show a little more vibrant harbour than a couple of kayaks and ferry.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1666 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

For sure. They could have added all sorts of great aerial shots but for some reason the video doesn't want to relate the scenes to a bigger region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1667 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,772 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Check out this little gem from 1936: https://www.youtube....h?v=ZKittvT2wdg
The shot of Douglas Street at 1:54 could almost have been taken today!

Edited by Nparker, 16 September 2014 - 05:02 PM.

• Dimitrios likes this

#1668 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

I met up with a fellow from Arizona on a bike trip. He posted a photo and said how much he enjoyed cycling along the waterfront all the way up to Gracepoint.

14991366969_ce756fac05_b.jpg

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1669 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

Luckily that sign has about another three months of life left.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1670 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:35 PM

I saw a gracepoint Van like bread truck style in Duncan on Monday morn still had all the logos

It was gracepoint newspaper

#1671 Chef-eth

Chef-eth
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe High West

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Loved that video of the old film advertising YVR and YYJ. Thanks!

#1672 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

Tourism Victoria CEO Nursey was on CFAX last week talking up their new video, and saying how great it was and how it "went viral'.

Dude, it's been watched 40,000 times.  CFL games get 400k to 1M viewers.  Placing the commercial on Calgary TV makes sense.  

http://youtu.be/LUXZ1OjFUIM

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1673 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'm willing to bet a big chunk of those views are Victorians.

Know it all.

#1674 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

I'm willing to bet a big chunk of those views are Victorians.

I'm guessing most are, it was embedded in the TC article.

#1675 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:17 PM

So much for Tourism Victoria's self congratulatory celebration over that promotional video. This "viral" video as they refer to is hasn't even been seen 50,000 times and by the looks of it other than us locals checking it out nobody off Island seems to care.

The video was posted on Youtube on September 10th and has 49,523 views.

Know it all.

#1676 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:26 PM

So much for Tourism Victoria's self congratulatory celebration over that promotional video. This "viral" video as they refer to is hasn't even been seen 50,000 times and by the looks of it other than us locals checking it out nobody off Island seems to care.

The video was posted on Youtube on September 10th and has 49,523 views.

Our 30 and 60-second videos of the runners in this morning's marathon have been seen thousands of times, and they are lousy.

45.png

#1677 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

We have an important tourist road called Dallas Rd., that for most people has no meaning at all.

Do you think anyone would object to a name change if we could find a name that quite a lot of people like?

Marine View Drive?  All the way from Shoal Point to Cadboro Bay (Dallas, Beach, Cadboro Bay)?

Also, apart from one that Bingo and his son have made I don't think we have one website that lists all our parks and beaches, in the whole area.  It seems to me tourist would like that kind of a guide that puts good information from all our parks, lakes and beaches together.

The Saanich parks guide online might be one of the worst.  For many parks there are no photos.

#1678 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:47 AM

US tourists on the tour buses love the name

#1679 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:53 AM

Why not name it Beach drive all the way?

• Nparker likes this

#1680 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:00 AM

Why not keep it as it is

• tedward likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users