Photo

Victoria Barwatch Program

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

^ This to me sounds like the pub crawls. Where everyone has a wristband so they just jam into the bar. As its Halloween though those bars already busy, so when its the pub crawl spot the bar just ended up way overcrowded. I was on one of these pub crawls a few years ago, and at all the stops you could barely move.

Although It could have been anything. I ended up at one of the Bar Watch Bars early Sunday morning, and was surprised that they didn't run my ID.

#162 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Overcrowding? What about the fire inspector?

#163 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

I ended up at one of the Bar Watch Bars early Sunday morning, and was surprised that they didn't run my ID.

See, when you have a couple thousand people downtown on a night like that, there are bound to be a few small oversights. Do I think a bar should have a liquor licence suspended because an eighteen year old managed to slip in? No.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

See, when you have a couple thousand people downtown on a night like that, there are bound to be a few small oversights. Do I think a bar should have a liquor licence suspended because an eighteen year old managed to slip in? No.

These will be overcrowding violations.

No one is getting dinged on an ID violation on Halloween, come one, how can you match the picture with the person in costume?

BUT, overcrowding - absolutely there is no excuse for. EVERY pub-crawl is told there are absolutely no guarantees on any night for entry. Wrist-band or not, you are not gonna file into my bar once it's at capacity.

#165 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

Victoria bouncer school teaches crisis-handling skills

http://www.timescolo...9216/story.html

By Katie DeRosa
November 8, 2009

It no longer takes just brawn and bravado to be a bouncer — as of the beginning of this month, all bar security staff must be licensed and undergo special training before they can work the door.

[...]

#166 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

Anyone notice any changes for the better yet?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#167 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

I thought this was supposed to have come to an end now?

http://cfax1070.com/...hp?newsId=11990

VICTORIA POLICE SAY A RECENT CRACKDOWN ON DOWNTOWN VICTORIA'S BAR SCENE IS WORKING----AND THEY HAVE SINCE MADE TWO IMPORTANT ARRESTS...

#168 homebrewer

homebrewer
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

I think the Barwatch program is great. It identifies the bars that welcome overconsumption and hostility so much that they feel the need to remove privacy and civil liberties for such a program. I use the list of participating Victoria bars as the bars to avoid.

#169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

Everyone will be glad to know that new BC liquor law changes now forbid clubs from playing the Cops theme song (Bad Boys) or other such songs while police are in the premises. Seriously.

Actions such as announcing the arrival of inspectors or police, raising or flashing lights, turning down music, playing particular soundtracks – e.g. “Bad Boys”, using spotlights, or any other action that causes the attention of patrons to shift towards inspectors or police is unacceptable.

http://www.hsd.gov.b...uor-Primary.pdf

Awesome changes designed to make your nightlife safer. :D

Oh, and if you go have dinner with grandma in her private senior home, where they serve alcohol to the residents, you too will be able to have a drink along with her soon. Right now it's residents only.

#170 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

Wow, somebody really makes rules about this stuff? Incredible.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#171 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:04 PM

Everyone will be glad to know that new BC liquor law changes now forbid clubs from playing the Cops theme song (Bad Boys) or other such songs while police are in the premises. Seriously.

Canadian Charter of...what is it again?

#172 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

^Inner Circle should sue.

#173 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

They actually play that song when the police aren't in the place? :eek:

#174 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

So what if you had a club that only played the Bad Boys song and you just stopped playing when they came in? Wouldn't that indicate that the police were there?

#175 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 May 2010 - 03:13 PM

So what if you had a club that only played the Bad Boys song and you just stopped playing when they came in? Wouldn't that indicate that the police were there?

Or more realistically you were playing the song and had to stop it when they walked in. Now that would give it away.

#176 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:36 PM

So, two years later, has this kept the baddies out of the bars?

#177 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Remember when we still had the single referee in the NHL, and if he missed an infraction the hometown organist would play "Three Blind Mice". That song was banned from being played at the games as I recall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users