Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#861 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:19 AM

There's a rumour going around about a small urban-format Safeway store opening in the old post office space.

Don't forget you're still on probation!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#862 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:28 PM

On a different topic, interesting that Save-On-Foods is the first major grocery chain to end "hazard pay" while other retailers continue it.  One more reason (besides their high prices and phoney slogan -- guaranteed lowest prices) why my wife and i will no longer be shopping there.

• Victoria Watcher and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#863 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:31 PM

On a different topic, interesting that Save-On-Foods is the first major grocery chain to end "hazard pay" while other retailers continue it.  One more reason (besides their high prices and phoney slogan -- guaranteed lowest prices) why my wife and i will no longer be shopping there.

"But we replaced it with giving our employees 10% off their groceries & more rewards points!" - What a slimy move!

• JanionGuy and Victoria Watcher like this

#864 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

Loblaw's has extended the hazard pay to June 13, and I believe Sobey's has also said that they'll re-assess the extra pay in mid-June. Amazon will end their hazard pay for Canadian warehouse workers tomorrow.

#865 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

They were also first to offer hazard pay. It's gotta end at some point, or else prices go up.

• Nparker likes this

#866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:37 AM

And prices have already spiked. Took my mom to Save Ons yesterday and not a particularly large buy was $215. Being a mom, she takes note of prices far more than I do, and she remarked how items had increased in cost over the last two months.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#867 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,041 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:01 AM

spiked!

#868 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

I still miss Safeways. Their in-store bakery was better than Save-On and I liked some of their Lucerne yogurts and ice creams.

#869 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:23 AM

And prices have already spiked. Took my mom to Save Ons yesterday and not a particularly large buy was $215. Being a mom, she takes note of prices far more than I do, and she remarked how items had increased in cost over the last two months.

It feels like my semi-weekly visit to Save On nets me less for the same price.  And here I was thinking I'd save money not buying garbage bags! 

Might be my Haagen Dazs addiction.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#870 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

I own a Toyota and I don't patronize his Toyota dealership either. 

#871 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

I own a Toyota and I don't patronize his Toyota dealership either. 

I had a Toyota bought from the local dealership. Had a really awful experience with the service dept. Even wrote them a letter. Got a patronizing response. Only when I sent a second letter did they offer a free oil change. Once the warranty was up, went to a private shop for service. Had that car for another 12 years so they lost out on 12 years of service work.

• johnk2 likes this

#872 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:28 AM

My experience also. Upselling, outright lies and snark when I didn't bite on a bogus diagnosis that would have cost me $500. The owner sets the company culture.

Edited by johnk2, 30 May 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#873 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:33 PM

What happened to the post office?

If moved further east on Fort Street (closer to Foul Bay)...

To be precise, it is moving to the circular building at Bank/Fort
  • Mike K. likes this

#874 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

what's this about a bank on fort? 

i hear a new grocery store is coming to fort street too.  can't confirm though.

#875 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:22 PM

The circular building on bank and fort that used to be a bank? When I lived on bank st the bank was a BMO.

Matt.

#876 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

Loblaw's has extended the hazard pay to June 13, and I believe Sobey's has also said that they'll re-assess the extra pay in mid-June. Amazon will end their hazard pay for Canadian warehouse workers tomorrow.

I guess June 12 counts as "mid-June." Loblaws, Metro, and Walmart are ending the $2/hour wage bump. Sobeys hasn't provided an update yet. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...d-pay-1.5609290

Edited by Jackerbie, 12 June 2020 - 09:49 AM.

#877 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:04 AM

I know at least one local retailer that gave their remaining staff a $500 bonus. That tactic avoids the problem of having to take away a gift.

#878 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,041 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:10 AM

you are probably right. of course if that retailer decided another $500 was warranted this summer then fall again they’d be in a position to halt the gift at some point. government front line workers are still getting $4. or over $600/mo. extra.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 June 2020 - 10:11 AM.

#879 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 12 June 2020 - 10:58 AM

I guess June 12 counts as "mid-June." Loblaws, Metro, and Walmart are ending the $2/hour wage bump. Sobeys hasn't provided an update yet. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...d-pay-1.5609290

I’m assuming revenue isn’t down 30% so they can’t claim any subsidy.

Matt.

#880 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

Country Grocer here (and elsewhere) is generally very community minded and has been ace with all this social distancing stuff, but this year they went the extra mile for the grad class and closed the store early yesterday so everyone could safely gather in their grad outfits, get some more photos and spend time together as a group while donating product to the local food bank. Lots of prizes and music and some games, etc.

Very creative of the safe grad committee if you ask me!

https://www.cheknews...covid19-676737/

Matt.
  • Nparker, GaryRanson and lanforod like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users