- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#81 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

I am with Kikadee the Hillside Thrifty's is a disaster, it is slightly better than the one at Cloverdale because they seem to actually have some stock on the shelves. I was at the Cloverdale one tonight. What a gong show. The store was like a third empty of stock. No freakin zucchinis! No big block mozzarella. These are basics!

Cloverdale store is the only Thifty's that makes it's own orange juice. I make a special trip just for that stuff, and as it is in short supply I would appreciate it if you don't clean out the shelves before I get there.

#82 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:36 PM

^ Really? I will have to check that out next time I am there. I like fresh OJ.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#83 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

^ Really? I will have to check that out next time I am there. I like fresh OJ.

It's by the packaged salads, not with the other OJ brands, and they make it up every few days, so they can run out from time to time.

#84 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:09 AM

Quality Foods stores, usually have 2 floors, with a upscale home decor/kitchen store and cafe on the second floor.
It will truly be a unique grocery store for the Victoria market, rumor has it, 3 stores will be opened in Victoria

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

Based on my experiences I would put Quality Foods down the list below Fairways. I wouldn't consider them to be contenders for the type of shopper who frequents Thrifty's, Safeway and Save-Ons unless their Victoria stores are somehow up-market variants of their stores elsewhere on the Island.

But if they are opening three stores here I can only imagine they'll anchor new developments like Capital City Centre in Colwood and the Costco development in Central Saanich. Or maybe there's a plan to displace an existing store like one of the Save-Ons (considering they're partnering with Patisson, as you said)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

It's hard to imagine that the Westshore area could support another major grocery store. There's already a Thrifty Foods, A Market store, Fairways, Red Barn, Costco, Wally World, Western Foods and a Superstore, all within a few miles of each other.

#87 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

QF changes the make up and layout of their stores based on the location. For instance the Harewood QF in Nanaimo is quite crappy, almost not organic produce, bad meat section, whereas the Qualicum Beach QF is like a mall. Amazing selection, food court, deli, huge meat dept etc. I assume they would do the same for Victoria.

#88 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Actually , the QF in north Nanaimo will be going under a full Reno , with the addition of the second floor, plus the enlarging and reconfiguring of the grocery level, construction is beginning this summer.
And as said earlier, the Victoria QF's will be like qualicum and Courtney and the new North Nanaimo store.

#89 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

It's hard to imagine that the Westshore area could support another major grocery store. There's already a Thrifty Foods, A Market store, Fairways, Red Barn, Costco, Wally World, Western Foods and a Superstore, all within a few miles of each other.

Who said anything about the Westshore? :whyme:
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#90 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

...Mike K. did, then I did and now you have. So, there's three of us who mentioned Westshore.

#91 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

...Mike K. did, then I did and now you have. So, there's three of us who mentioned Westshore.

LOL- Touche! I guess all new retail must have a presence in the "Westshore" (ie Langford)

#92 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Can someone direct me to an article where the principals of QF announced plans to march into the Victoria market. They said their partnership with Jimmy would allow them to do renos and some new stores but I didn't hear them say Victoria and three stores is an awful lot of business to try and wrestle from the existing players. Pattison has no end of money but he doesn't strike me as the kinda guy who puts it at risk.

#93 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

^ I remember the article. But can not find it. It stated they always have their eyes on Victoria if the right location came up, but made no promise of a store.

#94 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

^^ Just Google quality foods and pattison there are a bunch of articles on his investment

#95 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Ther rumour about them coming down here has been floating around for years. I'm just wondering where this "three stores in Victoria" thing was coming from. Starting a grocery war in Victoria, while perfectly wonderful for us consumers, just doesn't seem that wise for the investors.

#96 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

I could see pulling the two Save-on's and replacing them as it has to be a pain to supply those two stores. Of course I would miss the Blanshard one. It has a great deli and on some items their prices are the best.

Other than that I would say the market is saturated.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#97 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

Here are the Google search results. Lots of implying, no promises.

http://www.google.ca...0.0.EM6BAOJKTkQ

#98 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I have it on very accurate sources, QF will be launching in Victoria, and they will be the "premier" grocer in the market, and far from what was said earlier they are an upscale grocery market, google news about the (courtenay) location, it was voted one of the best best grocery store in all of Canada, with Thrifty's going downhill, and Quality Foods being the Biggest "Island" based grocer, I assume Quality believes that it will catch market share from Sobey's/Thrifty's

#99 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

WELL Nanaimo has QF and they support all the available market there with a smaller demographic. I am sure QF will be able to maintain its own here on Victoria, so long as they place correctly.

#100 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

How long ago were the prices much lower than they are now, geek?

I think my first trip was about 3 weeks ago, maybe? Around May 12 th, I'd guess.

Second trip was a couple weeks ago.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users