- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1012 replies to this topic

#101 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

Then Quality Foods must be going into the 3rd phase of Uptown.

#102 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

I think most Islanders are disappointed with what happened to Thrifty's , it's basically the old Thrifty's name and that's it, I have personally seen the change in the local Thrifty's here in Nanaimo, it's nothing like it was under the Campbell's, it's really a shame.
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they ditch the name eventually, and just go by Sobey's

#103 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

Then Quality Foods must be going into the 3rd phase of Uptown.

...so Mr. Burns...I mean Mr. Pattison injects a pile of dough into Quality Foods so they can build a new store within spitting distance and take business away from his own store. That sly old dog.

#104 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

Two different markets, it's like saying opening a Target beside a Holt Renfrew is going to bleed off customers, (not Likely), they are appealing to 2 different market segments.

#105 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:47 PM

The 2 stores I can see this move really affecting is the market place stores, and Country Grocer.

#106 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

But those are different market segments. Someone living or working downtown will still shop at the Market on Yates rather than trek out to Uptown for their shopping. The Country Grocer in Royal Oak is also far enough away (but sucks imo).

I don't really foresee a single, upscale Quality Foods in Uptown as having a dramatic effect on any one other grocery store or chain.

Though what the hell do I know! <== serious

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they ditch the name eventually, and just go by Sobey's

But "Sobey's" is not a name that is known on the west coast and I don't see how it would benefit them out here to change to that name. It's not like when Overwaitie stores were changed over to the Save-on-Foods name, which was well known in this area. Part of what Sobey's paid $200 million for was the Thrifty's name, is would be silly for them to drop it now.

#107 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

Well, all house branded foods that were called thrifty or Alex Campbell, have now been replaced with Sobey's "our compliments" house brand, it's kinda like when Macy's bought the Bon Marche in Washington, at first it was ran as the Bon, then it became the Bon - Macy's (to get people use to the brand), then it just became known as Macy's....transition complete

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 58,651 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

I think my first trip was about 3 weeks ago, maybe? Around May 12 th, I'd guess.

Second trip was a couple weeks ago.

Gotcha, thanks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,528 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

...so Mr. Burns...I mean Mr. Pattison injects a pile of dough into Quality Foods so they can build a new store within spitting distance and take business away from his own store. That sly old dog.

He already does this in other markets where he builds multiple stores under different brands in the same market.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#110 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

it's kinda like when Macy's bought the Bon Marche in Washington, at first it was ran as the Bon, then it became the Bon - Macy's (to get people use to the brand), then it just became known as Macy's....transition complete

I think there's a big difference between a coast-to-coast department store in the US, where name recognition is very important, and a grocery in Canada, which I think can have different names in different regions and function just fine.

In fact, a cursory look at the Sobeys website shows that they have several different names for their stores - Sobeys, Foodland, Fresh Co., Price Chopper, IGA and Thrifty Foods. However, I don't know if some of these are different types of stores.

(Thank god they own IGA because I would hate for that name to come to Victoria. I mean what kind of name is that for a grocery store!)

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 58,651 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

The old Town & Country had a Fairways. For whatever reason they chose not to locate in the new development (perhaps concerned over Wal-Mart's foray into the grocery market) or they're planning to open a store in phase 3.

If a grocery store does open at Uptown, and should the Superstore finally be built, the north Douglas part of town will easily have the highest grocery store density in the region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#112 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Shelbourne & MacKenzie must now with Safeway, Fairways and Thriftys.

#113 martini

martini
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thrifty's used to have these nice pre-made stuffed salmon rolls at the fish counter. Now they're the same commercially made, frozen ones that are taken right out of the same boxes they sell in the freezer and they're not nearly as tasty.

As for Fairways, a friend of mine picked up some milk at one of their stores recently and it was three weeks past the expiry date. He's had some issues with their meat too.

Safeway seems extremely optimistic about expiry dates on their fresh chicken - usually 10 days or so. I used to buy chicken thinking "it's a few days before expiry, it should be good" only to open it the next day and be quite disappointed.

With food production becoming more and more commercialized and chemicalized, it's no wonder why it's hard to find fresh healthy food and why obesity is quickly becoming a big problem in Canada.

This

#114 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Shelbourne & MacKenzie must now with Safeway, Fairways and Thriftys.

A few blocks further up Shelbourne there's a Mediterranean grocer and the Mt. Doug Market. Don't forget the Cedar Hill Fairway a few minutes away.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#115 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Sobey's is in every province except b.c, and no it's not different, Macy's was an eastern based chain, and moved across the u.s. By buying regional stores

#116 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,528 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

IGA used to mean Independent Grocers Alliance. It used to be a co-op of independent grocery who would buy product together to get bulk pricing. There are IGA's in Vancouver not owned by Sobey's.

http://www.marketplaceiga.com/

http://en.m.wikipedi...kets)#section_2

#117 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,528 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:26 AM

Sobey's is in every province except b.c, and no it's not different, Macy's was an eastern based chain, and moved across the u.s. By buying regional stores

Sobey's has three stores in BC now.

British Columbia

3 locations:

Fort St. John Golden Invermere

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 58,651 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

Interesting. I suppose being near the Alberta border Albertan's are familiar with them and BC'ers are well aware of them.

I recall the first time I saw a Sobey's in Edmonton I didn't know what to make of it. I had no idea it was a grocery store until I decided to stop in and see what someone/something called a "Sobey" was selling.

Know it all.

#119 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,528 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

^ IF Sobey's where to try to invade BC it will be from the west to build a brand, and only then would Thrifty's disappear (possible)

#120 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,036 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

As far as I can figure out Fairway chose to leave Town and Country and not return to Uptown because they had the chance to open a new store in Quadra Village. If you look at where Fairway's are located, they are lower rent buildings or locations will less competition.

It strikes me that Country Grocer and Fairway would be a good fit for a combined company

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users