Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#121 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

^ Only if Fairways bought out Country Grocer. Fairways is far superior IMO. More unique items and their rotisserie chicken is really good.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Doesn't Fairways share bulk purchases with likes of Country Grocer and Co-op stores? Together they have more klout and can compete on price with the bigger national players.

I ran into a Victoria councillor over the weekend shopping at my local grocery store. This councillor had switched grocery stores because, in the councillor's opinion, the quality of food and selection at Thrifty's had slid since the buy-out by Sobey's.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Once again (why do I do this to myself) last night had to get some groceries so went to Hillside Thrifty's, three items on list were not in stock. Carts everywhere.

It has a whole new look!

#124 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Doesn't Fairways share bulk purchases with likes of Country Grocer and Co-op stores? Together they have more klout and can compete on price with the bigger national players.

I ran into a Victoria councillor over the weekend shopping at my local grocery store. This councillor had switched grocery stores because, in the councillor's opinion, the quality of food and selection at Thrifty's had slid since the buy-out by Sobey's.

I always see wounded ex-councillor John Luton riding up to the Fairfield Thrifty's. Yet another reason to be put off by that place.

#125 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Large conglomerate buys small local company. Large conglomerate picks all the good parts of the small local company away. Large conglomerate then leaves small local company alone so it can wither for a number of years. Large conglomerate then comes in "again" to safe the day by re-branding to large conglomerate to save faded image.

Has anyone noticed there is no such thing as Customs House any longer since Western Union purchased, gutted and killed the company?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Sobey's must be having supply issues with stores on the Island. All of a sudden they find themselves with a whole swath of stores located in one corner of a province they previously had very little exposure in (and then only along the BC/AB border).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#127 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

I always see wounded ex-councillor John Luton riding up to the Fairfield Thrifty's. Yet another reason to be put off by that place.

Wow that is a harsh comment.

#128 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:06 PM

Wow that is a harsh comment.

Why? Have you followed his blind support of the JSB? Read any of his musings on Facebook, blogosphere, etc. since his ouster? That in and of itself is off-putting.

Even then, "off-putting" is rather tame.

#129 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Gentlemen....this is a grocery store thread. Please allow me to remind you that thousands of Victorians gravitate towards this thread in order to become enlightened about grocery related discussions.

I would like to suggest that you shake hands here and end whatever issue you have.

Please.

#130 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Perhaps someone can explain what was said here that required a moderator to step in? I made a comment about John Luton shopping at Thrifty's, someone suggested it was harsh and then I qualified why I didn't think it was harsh.

That's it. I certainly don't think that tempers were flaring. Two folks were having a duscussion. On a ****ing discussion board, imagine that.

I don't get why we've been "moderated," here. I mean, if something as innocuous as this conversation was shut down (arguably, it had already run it's course), perhaps I lack the good judgement to figure out what I should and should not write and to stay on the right side of THE MODERATORS, that I ought to err on the side of caution and not write anything at all.

I'm sorry, Sparky - but respectfully, I think you have it wrong here: and if you're going to call me out on something so questionable, expect me to call you back.

#131 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:30 AM

Perhaps someone can explain what was said here that required a moderator to step in? I made a comment about John Luton shopping at Thrifty's, someone suggested it was harsh and then I qualified why I didn't think it was harsh.

I suspect its inappropriate to use a thread about groceries to air your personal dislike of ex council members. Just a guess..

#132 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

^You would be right.

Courtesy of http://cdn.bleacherreport.ne

Called for OT and general meanness

It has a whole new look!

#133 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

I must have missed the news on this because I was walking by the old Discovery street buildings that house the gymnastics school and Sports Traders and saw a decent sized natural foods store fronting Wharf St.

And I see the Quadra/McKenzie Thrifty is open to midnight now, so they must be getting close to having every local outlet open late or 24 hours. It just amazes me that the staffing costs aren't killing them.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#134 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

Natural foods store at Store and Discovery? Do you recall the name?

Know it all.

#135 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

http://ingredientshealthfood.com/

Look at dude reading the paper while knife-wielding women wrestle beside him.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#136 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

I suspect its inappropriate to use a thread about groceries to air your personal dislike of ex council members. Just a guess..

It's more of a political dislike, but I was only having some fun. Until I got ticketed by the fun police. Thanks G-Man, for reinjecting some humour back in this thread: offside flag was pretty priceless! :bow:

That's exciting about Ingredients - surprising that no one here (myself included) discovered this place since it appeared to have opened sometime last fall (guessing based on the TC article date). Methinks they need more exposure/advertising.

#137 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

[...] open to midnight now, so they must be getting close to having every local outlet open late or 24 hours. It just amazes me that the staffing costs aren't killing them.

Staffing costs for extended store hours are minimal, because there tend to be employees there stocking shelves and so forth anyway.

#138 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

Staffing costs for extended store hours are minimal, because there tend to be employees there stocking shelves and so forth anyway.

Hence the reason some McDonald's went 24 hours; it was deemed more profitible to staff the facilities all day and generate some late night revenue, than close down and simply have cleaning staff in during the off hours. :teacher:

#139 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ooh, those are good points re 24 hour stores. I hadn't thought of it like that before.

Know it all.

#140 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

http://ingredientshealthfood.com/

Look at dude reading the paper while knife-wielding women wrestle beside him.

The name was initially Apple, I think. They opened in November. I am not sure why the name change

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users