- - - - -

Victoria grocery store and supermarket discussion

• Please log in to reply
1606 replies to this topic

#1381 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:47 PM

...Empire and its select banners across the country, including Thrifty Foods, will be transitioning from Air Miles to Scene+ beginning in Atlantic Canada in August 2022, and then continue across the rest of Canada culminating in early 2023...

https://www.vicnews....ping-air-miles/

Good news for me I suppose, as I am not an Air Miles collector, but I do have Scene+. This is unlikely to encourage me to shop at Thrifty Foods more often, unless the switch comes with a general price reduction at this mis-named grocer.

#1382 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:39 PM

I like the switch to scene points.  It will be much easier to earn and redeem points. It takes me forever to get enough airmiles to do anything with them.

The Thrifty foods Broadmead has a great seafood section. Fresh and reasonable prices.

#1383 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 05:20 PM

When the cashier looks up and says “Air Miles?” …. I always reply “No, I brought the car.”
  • Sparky and Victoria Watcher like this

#1384 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:38 PM

From what I understand, there's no Scene+ points earned on base spend. They'll only be earned on certain promotional items (such as those where they have bonus Air Miles now).

• Barrrister likes this

#1385 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:40 PM

Air miles was literally the only reason I ever went to thriftys. That, and sometimes they had the superior Maple Leaf brand corned beef. Mmm mmm mmm.

#1386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:45 PM

Yeah. Me too. Without Air Miles I have no reason to go, certainly not for stupid scene points.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1387 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:48 PM

Nope, lame. We collect and use a LOT of points, airmiles and otherwise, not even sure what Scene is. Movie tickets?

Primarily, Country Grocer is a bit cheaper for the most part, but the store itself is much larger and easier to get around in, parking is better, etc. I have noticed that since a) buying a small grocery store and b) the kids moving out, the household grocery bill has dropped by a wide margin!

#1388 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:58 PM

Oh yes, dairy is going up again feb 1.

And what’s with egg prices in the us? We can’t be far behind, I imagine the marketing boards will apply to increase prices as well. Thanks, bird flu.

#1389 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:15 PM

Nope, lame. We collect and use a LOT of points, airmiles and otherwise, not even sure what Scene is. Movie tickets?...

A lot more than movie tickets now: https://www.sceneplu...about-sceneplus

• Matt R. likes this

#1390 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:18 PM

That is lame about scene, at least with air miles I could get gas and actual shop places. 

#1391 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:26 PM

Yes. I use them for gas.

Speaking of which, if you have BCAA, you save 3 cents per litre at Shell if you swipe your card. Not bad.

It’s definitely a better deal than 7 cents for a fill up after buying 300 litres.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1392 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:43 PM

I wonder if it will actually change purchasing behaviour too much. Do people really choose a store because of the specific reward program, or do they just care if it *has* a reward program?

For instance, More Rewards has a very low rate of return compared to most reward programs, but people still shop at Save-On-Foods and happily carry More Rewards cards.

Having said that, I've done well with Air Miles and will likely make fewer trips to Thrifty than before. They have good stuff, but high prices. They've been my second choice supermarket but when they had a good Air Miles offer on it was worthwhile making a trip. Having an Air Miles Mastercard helped - occasionally BMO would have offers that made shopping at Thrifty very worthwhile in conjunction with the Mastercard, as well as some of the Air Miles program promotions that involved multiple partners. I'm sure some of that will exist with Scene, but I have nothing currently in that ecosystem. I don't bank with Scotia, rarely go to Cineplex, I don't think they have a gas partner, etc. I tend to think that I don't represent the average consumer, though.

For what it's worth, Air Miles can now be collected at Save-On-Foods & QF in a limited way. If you have a linked Mastercard through the AIR MILES Card Linked Offers (airmilescardlink.ca) program, you earn 50 Air Miles on purchases of $100 or more. That's in addition to More Rewards points that you get at the register. But if your shops are under $100, no miles.

#1393 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:00 PM

Yes. I use them for gas.

Speaking of which, if you have BCAA, you save 3 cents per litre at Shell if you swipe your card. Not bad.

It’s definitely a better deal than 7 cents for a fill up after buying 300 litres.

There are a few other programs like that. CIBC clients get 3 cents off at Chevron & with their Journie loyalty program that extends to 10 cents off/L after every few fill-ups.

RBC has a similar program with Petro-Canada.

However, I usually end up at Esso. Every so often, they sell gift cards online at 10% off through apps like UGo Wallet. That's a much better savings than 3 cents/L plus you still get whatever marginal benefit out of collecting PC Optimum points on top. UGo also occasionally does similar discounts on Sobeys gift cards, which can be used at Thrifty. But even at 10% off, Thrifty is still expensive.

#1394 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 01:50 PM

I disagree on Save On points they are awesome. I mean the store is overall cheaper than thriftys and the points can be used for ferry passes. I get a few free trips a year to Vancouver.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1395 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:10 PM

If you shop strategically at Save-on-Foods, the points add up easily. I just spent $43 and earned over 1200 points.

• Mike K. likes this

#1396 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:12 PM

Not for a minute would points (at less than 1% of your purchase) ever guide my purchase decisions.
  • Mike K. likes this

#1397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 02:16 PM

I buy what I need at prices I think are reasonable. If that means I earn points, great, if not - as the kids say - no worries.

• Mike K. likes this

#1398 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 January 2023 - 12:01 PM

Asian grocer H Mart to lease recently vacated Toys R Us space at Victoria's Mayfair Shopping Centre

https://victoria.cit...hopping-centre/

• kayla and MysticalWarrior like this
Know it all.

#1399 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

Hmart!!! So awesome. What an improvement over Toys r Us!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1400 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

The prices at Toys R Us were fine, but the produce and meat sections were lame.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 January 2023 - 04:12 PM.

• Mike K., G-Man, Nparker and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users