City of Victoria looks to rein in horse-drawn carriages

• Please log in to reply
527 replies to this topic

#21 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:45 AM

From the CBC's report:

Patricia Jankalson, a tourist from Washington, was one of the passengers who fell out of the carriage. She commended the efforts of the driver.

"She did a brilliant job, as much as she could. But once the horses hit the bench, she was thrown out," she said.

#22 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

there is going to be a lot of suing going on but it will take years and it will be a difficult journey for those who jumped and instructed their kids to jump.One woman said she jumped because she thought the horse would jump the seawall and head into the ocean.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:52 AM

Well isn't that quaint.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:53 AM

there is going to be a lot of suing going on but it will take years and it will be a difficult journey for those who jumped and instructed their kids to jump.One woman said she jumped because she thought the horse would jump the seawall and head into the ocean.

Yes.  I'm not sure if I would have jumped or held on.  Only the one guy did the Indiana Jones and jumped successfully.  The rest of that family failed to "hit the ground running", despite what looked like reasonable attempts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9tkxhfcybc

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:56 AM

From the CBC's report:

Patricia Jankalson, a tourist from Washington, was one of the passengers who fell out of the carriage. She commended the efforts of the driver.

"She did a brilliant job, as much as she could. But once the horses hit the bench, she was thrown out," she said.

All benches should be removed as they are hazards.

Also any driver honking at horses should have their horn confiscated.

#26 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

Thanks God those T-Rex bachelorette ladies a couple weeks ago stayed in Langford instead of heading downtown!!

Woman surrenders to police after spooking carriage horses wearing T-rex costume

#27 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

Woman surrenders to police after spooking carriage horses wearing T-rex costume

I have to admit, a carriage horse wearing a T-rex costume could be quite an alarming sight. It depends on how good the animatronics are for the eyes and mouth.

Edited by aastra, 19 May 2017 - 12:22 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

I have to admit, a carriage horse wearing a T-rex costume could be quite an alarming sight. It depends on how good the animatronics are for the eyes and mouth.

That's not a bad idea for the rickshaw driver costume here.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,219 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

I am not sure what makes this "animal rights group" believe they have any right to post erroneous messages on public property that directly impact a private business's livelihood.

A Victoria group [Victoria Horse Alliance] dedicated to ridding the city of horse-drawn carriages may have shown a lack of "horse sense" when it posted signs declaring the business license had expired and therefore was closed.

closed.jpg
But the business is not closed, and is allowed to operate while it renews it's license. Still, many took the signs to be genuine, and called Tally Ho later to express concern over the closure...Tally Ho employee Kate Clarke says locals are a big part of their Christmas and New Year's business - and some of that was lost due to the stunt...

http://www.iheartrad...stunt-1.3535526

At the very least this group should be reprimanded by the CoV for their actions. 

• Star Dust likes this

#30 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

Oh wow, that is very misleading.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

I am not sure what makes this "animal rights group" believe they have any right to post erroneous messages on public property that directly impact a private business's livelihood.

At the very least this group should be reprimanded by the CoV for their actions. 

It's a simple publicity stunt, and if CFAX had not erroneously reported the whole thing in the first place before they got the other side of the story (the City or the carriage operators), then had to scramble to cover their asses after they got duped, there would be no publicity.

#32 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

I saw a group of protesters following a carriage that was being leisurely pulled by two beautiful, massive, calm and incredibly healthy looking horses on Government Street a week or two prior to Christmas. Surely there are more important causes in need of volunteer support. 

Edited by jonny, 04 January 2018 - 03:24 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry, Redd42 and 3 others like this

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

CFAX Jan 1:

A group that opposes horse carriages in Victoria is hoping a contract between horse carriage operators and the City of Victoria is not renewed.

The Victoria Horse Alliance says the rental agreement between the two parties has expired, which means carriage operators cannot operate at their usual location at the corner of Menzies and Belleville Street until a new agreement is reached.

The Alliance plans to petition the city demanding the lease not be renewed due to extensive documentation of the inhumane treatment of the horses, safety issues, and public opposition to the practice in the modern era.  

This would effectively ban the horse drawn carriages from Victoria.

^ So CFAX would have been better off to just wait one day to get the other side here ^

Instead of having to do this ...

CFAX Jan 2:

It's business as usual for horse carriage operators in Victoria.

Monday, the Victoria Horse Alliance claimed the rental agreement between the horse carriage operators and the City of Victoria had expired, meaning they couldn't operate at their usual location at the corner of Menzies and Belleville Street until a new agreement is reached.

Donna Friedlander, Owner/Operator, Tally Ho Carriage Tours says the Alliance doesn't have its facts right.

"We do renew our business license with the City of Victoria every year, much like every other business and that business license is due nfor renewal January 1st with the fees and documentation due by January 15th."

Friedlander also takes exception to the Alliance's concerns of the inhumane treatment of the horses. She says althought the horses are used for commercial purposes, they are treated as pets and live on the farm with Friedlander and her family.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 January 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

I think there should be a dedicated horse drawn carriage lane around James Bay and through Beacon Hill Park.

We need to give these fine ungulates a place to strut their stuff, entertain the tourists, and keep them out of the glue factory.

Edited by Bingo, 04 January 2018 - 04:08 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#35 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Looking at the bylaw, a superficial reading says that the right to use the curb expired Dec 2017 - not the business licence, just the curb occupation. Which might have been amended already and the bylaw isn't online.

• Bingo likes this

#36 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

I'm all for keeping the horse drawn carriages .

I admit they can be a bit frustrating at times to get stuck behind them in traffic around the water, but at the end of the day I'm really in no hurry and they look great, and are enjoyed by thousands of people every year. For many tourists it's something they have only ever seen on TV or in the Movies.

I know a guy that used to work for Victoria Carriage Tours as their head maintenance man who fixed all the carriages, did them up for holidays, took care of everything mechanical, and the horses were treated really well. They had a stable in James Bay where they were fed and groomed daily and in the evening they were taken out to the countryside where they lived on a property out there.

• Star Dust likes this

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

removed

Edited by Bingo, 17 February 2018 - 05:23 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

Isitt also raised concerns about possible environmental impacts from the horses.

"My understand is there is no filtering or capturing of the urine and it is flowing directly into the Inner Harbour, that seems to be a violation of the storm sewer bylaw," he said.

Oh, come on... horse urine is surely no big deal.  You know how much a single whale pisse each day?  Me neither, so I looked it up:

According to a study published in 2003 in the Canadian Journal of Zoology, the sei whale, a member of the baleen whale family that can measure up to 60 feet (18 meters) long and weigh up to 100,000 lbs. (45,000 kilograms), has an estimated daily urine production of 166 gallons (627 liters). A fin whale, which can grow to be 85 feet (26 m) long and weigh up to 160,000 lbs. (72,575 kg), produces about 257 gallons (974 liters) of urine in one day, the study found.

• Mike K. likes this

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

But the urine of 250,000 people flows into the harbour every day.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

But the urine of 250,000 people flows into the harbour every day.

Not the "harbour", and not that many people.  And after sewage treatment is installed, the 99.2% water that urine is* will still go to the ocean.

*usual

EDIT:  95%

http://www.slate.com...iquid_diet.html

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 March 2018 - 08:43 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users