BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#401 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

If that guy thinks it is tall buildings that have destroyed the "charm and ambiance" of downtown, I can guarantee you he hasn't been downtown for at least two years.

The charm and ambiance was so much better with all those parking lots and empty, overgrown lots. Now that **** was vibrant! 

• Nparker likes this

#402 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:24 PM

I've actually been somewhat pleasantly surprised at the general dearth of anti-height T-C letters. As most of us know back in the day - 15-20 years or so ago - it would have been a veritable deluge of real or imagined outage from the "anti" corner. A twenty story proposal would have been enough to send them into orbit, but the idea of a 30-story structure would have caused a mass apoplectic fit.....

I've never understood - at all - why a place can't have ambiance and charm and yet also project and actually have a vibrant, um....."vibe'. Lots_and_lots of other cities all over the the globe - even "historic" ones - do and pull it off beautifully to boot - why is the anti-height crowd here so oblivious to that fact? We're talking about a city here....not a museum.

Of course that is precisely the problem: while cities are organic entities and most intelligent reasonable people understand that, plus the fact they evolve, grow and CHANGE over time - a museum almost by definition is an unchanging static snapshot of something captured at a specific moment in time, which of course is exactly what the anti-crowd here craves: "oh if it could only look like the Victoria of my youth!" As my Brit cousins would say - Bollocks! to that nonsense.

Unlike the author of that letter - and many others incidentally who move here from somewhere else and then presume to try to tell us what Victoria should be according to their romanticized ideal - I actually was born and raised and grew up in and remember Victoria in the 60's and early 70's: it was a spectacularly awesome and safe place to grow up as a kid, no question about that.

However it was boring as hell both from an architecture aesthetic and especially a 'buzz' standpoint - the harbour area above all, which should be the Crown Jewel from a tourist standpoint, was butt-fugly given it had a wood chip and pulp mill and a paint factory gracing the waterfront, among other so-called "world class" establishments, both of them incidentally spewing a toxic mix of industrial effluent directly into the harbour. On View Street, right downtown somewhere near View and Vancouver we actually had an auto-wrecking yard at least up to the late 70's: imagine - an auto junk yard right downtown. You don't see that in Paris, or London, or Miami or other 'world class' cities. That certain folks around this town actually pine away for that dreary and dull version of Victoria is, quite frankly, mind boggling.

In terms of a "vibe" the only vibe around this town was when Ida Clarkson changed her hairstyle. Beyond that....yeah...not so much. Loved growing up here as a kid, but in terms of the city itself, especially its shape, form, and energy - I infinitely prefer the Victoria of today versus the "Mayberry RFD" version of 1965 or 1970....

• zoomer, Nparker, 2F2R and 4 others like this

#403 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

I think the real downfall, the real change in the true character of this quaint little British outpost was when they first built out-side the fort walls ... it's never been the same since.

I wish my puppy would never grow up ...

• Nparker, AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#404 2F2R

2F2R
  • 675 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:32 PM

Does the letter writer know why Victoria is the Capital City of British Columbia ?

Edited by 2F2R, 09 April 2017 - 08:46 PM.

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

...We're talking about a city here....not a museum. Of course that is precisely the problem: while cities are organic entities and most intelligent reasonable people understand that, plus the fact they evolve, grow and CHANGE over time - a museum almost by definition is an unchanging static snapshot of something captured at a specific moment in time, which of course is exactly what the anti-crowd here craves: "oh if it could only look like the Victoria of my youth!" ...

I couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo ASE.  :)

• 2F2R likes this

#406 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

Besides the hideous mosaic mural and the poorly designed ground floor? 

I mean what makes it a poorly designed ground floor. I understand the mosaic issues. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#407 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

I mean what makes it a poorly designed ground floor. I understand the mosaic issues. 

Some of the retail space rolls down steel blinds each night, and when they are open, they have deeply tinted glass.  It has a set-back that is of no real use.

screenshot-www.google.ca-2017-04-10-09-20-29.png

• Nparker and jonny like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#408 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

I mean what makes it a poorly designed ground floor.

Aesthetically, the finishing materials are cheap looking and the windows are too small. The glazing should go all the way to the canopy, particularly on a dark, north-facing facade. 

Capture.JPG

The worst part however is that it is set-back too far from the sidewalk, especially the section where "ReStart" is located.

Capture2.JPG

Compare the set-backs of the buildings on either side.

Capture3.JPG

When a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store has a more engaging street presence, then you know you've done something wrong with the design of your commercial space.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:32 AM

The Wave was a miserably failed attempt at creating a modern ground floor. How much of that was the architect's fault and how much the developer's we'll never know.

But luckily, over the last 15-years, we've seen very, very few bungled ground floors in the downtown core.

• Nparker and jonny like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#410 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:15 PM

Aesthetically, the finishing materials are cheap looking and the windows are too small. The glazing should go all the way to the canopy, particularly on a dark, north-facing facade. 

The worst part however is that it is set-back too far from the sidewalk, especially the section where "ReStart" is located.

Compare the set-backs of the buildings on either side.

When a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store has a more engaging street presence, then you know you've done something wrong with the design of your commercial space.

What's the setback at Yello? The rendering makes it look pretty deep, but the floor to ceiling glazing is inviting and draws attention inward.

Edited by Jackerbie, 10 April 2017 - 02:15 PM.

#411 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

What's the setback at Yello? The rendering makes it look pretty deep, but the floor to ceiling glazing is inviting and draws attention inward.

It's a little difficult to tell at the moment with the scaffolding in place along Yates, but I do not think the set-back is nearly as significant as The Wave. I agree the tall ground floor glazing is a good thing.

• Jackerbie likes this

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Townline created quite the podium design for TELUS's offices as part of the company's pitch. I've been told they will want to use the design with other tenants. More: http://victoria.citi...office-complex/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#413 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

Townline created quite the podium design for TELUS's offices as part of the company's pitch...

No secret Citified renderings available? 

• ryno8097 likes this

#414 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

Soon. I've asked :)

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#415 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

My building at the corner of Blanshard and Pandora just received notice of blasting at this site.  Commencing May 8th for a period of 10 months.

• Nparker and 2F2R like this

#416 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:11 AM

Here's a pic of the blasting notice. Today they were working a bit in the hole getting it ready.

• 2F2R likes this

#417 DougG

DougG
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Oops, no attachment.

Attached Images

• Blasting notice.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#418 Samuel

Samuel
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 04:11 PM

When will the height of this building be confirmed by?

• 2F2R likes this

#419 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:01 PM

When it tops out? It's safer that way.
  • Nparker, 2F2R and Samuel like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#420 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

I think the answer was presented several posts ago. At the Townline bbq at the end of May.
  • Samuel likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users