BUILT
Hudson Place One
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 777 Herald Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, sub-penthouse, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Hudson Place One is a 25-storey, 176-suite mixed-use condominium tower with ground floor commercial space at d... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Place One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Place One | Condos; commercial | 25-storeys | Built - Completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
1676 replies to this topic

#1641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:12 PM

i think the op suggests that the $2k is for STR in studios.

#1642 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:14 PM

Ok, how about this way - is the sort of person who will enjoy living in that actually earning enough to buy it?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:09 PM

i think the op suggests that the $2k is for STR in studios.

And regular rentals. Those would be the extreme exception.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1644 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 06:13 PM

Ok, how about this way - is the sort of person who will enjoy living in that actually earning enough to buy it?

The good news there are plenty of investors more than willing to put up the up-front costs to provide that housing as a rental for those who can’t, but there is also a negative connotation with the investor side of the market now.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1645 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 09:13 PM

I don’t think I would agree with some of those statements.

The vacation rental market does not impact the price of a rental apartment in an adjacent building, and average studios will not rent for $2k-plus. AirBnB is also regulated, so you can’t operate one in new housing stock within the CoV. Equity is also unattainable for any sort of leverage unless you can afford to carry the debt in addition to your mortgage and other expenses. Or you pursue private lending against the equity, which is expensive. Either way it is not always a path to low-rate lending unless you’re a high income earner with sufficient cash flow/earnings to service the debt.

It’s not quite as easy as you may want to believe it is, as homeownership bears many costs in addition to the mortgage, insurance, strata and property taxes, and is not a quick get-rich scheme like some people may want you to think.

The STR example was a bit extreme, but the temporary population does put a big squeeze on the long-term market who will rent similar types of accommodations. 

And buying isn't a "quick buck" per se, but it's perceived to be an assured one with time - even when we're talking timeframes as short as 4-5 years. Specially when you consider the alternative of paying rent.

Edited by Casual Kev, 18 March 2021 - 09:14 PM.

#1646 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 08:54 PM

HP1 is finally varying the colours of its rooftop lighting. I haven't seen this since they were testing the system before occupancy last year.

• Mike K., Hotel Mike and Greg like this

#1647 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:36 AM

I noticed that as well. I'm hoping that HP2 will have some interesting rooftop lighting as well. It should be contingent on Victoria Council to always ask what sort of lighting treatment new projects are planning.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1648 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:09 AM

Victoria council wants less lighting, not more.

Know it all.

#1649 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 11:14 AM

HP2 will likely block much of my view of HP1, so I hope it has some sort of visual panache.

#1650 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

Where did you hear they want less lighting?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 08:51 PM

"It's the downtown, there is going to be light pollution, but when we're adding new lights that could be directly impacting the wildlife, I think it's something we need to be aware of and make sure we're finding solutions for," said Coun. Jeremy Loveday.

- https://vancouverisl...ights-1.3784504

Know it all.

#1652 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:36 PM

The wildlife that inhabits downtown? Stray cats and racoons?

#1653 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:45 AM

Dont forget rats.

• todd likes this

#1654 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

^I think more mice then rats?

#1655 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 26 October 2021 - 10:27 AM

6 units remain!

Know it all.

#1656 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,875 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 06:13 PM

By the time the restaurant opens to diners in October, seven in-house beers will be available from Hudson’s taps, including the ‘Big Tasty’ lager currently available at Yates Street Taphouse, but the plan is to sell a comprehensive variety of local beers. And prior to the restaurant’s arrival the tasting room will serve visitors in September just one month following the brewery’s ramp-up. The liquor distillery is expected to be ready by late 2021.

https://victoria.cit...emorial-centre/

not open yet?

FrontFundr closes in December (41 days) and is only at 10% of its goal, with just 6 funders.

https://www.frontfun...hudsonbrewhouse

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 October 2021 - 06:18 PM.

#1657 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 30 October 2021 - 07:19 PM

...seven in-house beers will be available from Hudson’s taps, including the ‘Big Tasty’ lager currently available at Yates Street Taphouse...

Does it feature the likeness of Barry Goldberg?

bigtasty.jpg

#1658 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 October 2021 - 07:24 AM

Still not open.

Know it all.

#1659 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 04 April 2022 - 09:29 AM

Downtown Victoria's Hudson Place One condo, Vancouver Island's tallest building, reaches sold-out status

https://victoria.cit...old-out-status/

• Nparker likes this
Know it all.

#1660 victoriahomefan

victoriahomefan
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 10:42 AM

Awesome to hear they've sold out! Congrats to Townline.

I wonder what if the four year sell out was planned or not...seems the longest sales timeline for most recent projects. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users