- - - - -

Cascadia Liquor Stores

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

is Quadra Village good enough for something like that?

#42 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hell yeah! Quadra village is great!

Besides, if it were in certain other neighbourhoods it might have to be a "Faux Tudor" interior, or perhaps "Edwardian boutique." There's something honest about the West Coast Contemporary Style.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#43 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:01 PM

is Quadra Village good enough for something like that?

Given housing prices over the last five years, it is a neighbourhood where a lot of people bought their first house, it has a lot more young civil servants and professionals than it did 20+ years ago when I went to rather wild house parties in the area.

I believe there is enough of a young professional demographic in the area to support the place.

I would use it because I do like to go to the Fairway in the area - a good selection of interesting ingredients. I also have a good friend that I drink wine with that lives three blocks away.

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

I will be there every week.

#45 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

I'll be there weekly too.
Great comments Bernard. Despite being chopped up by Hillside and Blanshard the area is still full of potential.

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:25 PM

I actually don't find Hillside a barrier in fact Quadra and Hillside could be a great intersection if the Sally Ann Building and the other office kiddy corner were redveloped in the 6 - 8 storey range. As office not residential imo.

#47 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

I actually don't find Hillside a barrier in fact Quadra and Hillside could be a great intersection if the Sally Ann Building and the other office kiddy corner were redveloped in the 6 - 8 storey range. As office not residential imo.

Relative to Blanshard, Hillside is certainly minor. The crosswalks and medians between Cook and Quadra help a lot. But it is still a bit sketchy crossing Hillside at peak hours - traffic is fast and reluctant to stop.

#48 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

And yet so worth it on a hot summer day when the AMAZING smoothies made with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt beckon like siren song from the San Remo Deli...

/besotted sighs...
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#49 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

The City put out the ad in the paper for the rezoning. But when they made their little map, it made it look like the Cascadia was going to take up the whole building. Of course this worried people.

Technically the building is going to be rezoned, but the only portion of it assigned for a liquor licencees is one third of where Rogers is now. This way, not only is the liquor store limited to 2,000 sq feet - less than 200 sq meters, but the size limit is registered against the title in such a way that only a full public hearing would change it.

/sigh

#50 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:44 AM

Are you sure that they will be in part of the Roger space and not in the vacant space at the back end of the parking lot?

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

^You mean the old Liquor Store/ABC Electric space? I'm pretty certain the proposal is part of the free-standing Rogers building.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:02 AM

So the Rogers is going to be smaller?

#53 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

Positive. Rogers will be the landlord and will be smaller by one third, Cascadia will be a sublease.
However there are already some artisan retail stores talking to Don Calveley about the potential for co-locating if Cascadia succeeds. So that space behind may soon find tenants too.
Here - I made a little map!

#54 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Caramia: Why do care so much about this liquor store?

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

It looks a bit tough too see from Quadra. Any chance they could put a large flashing neon sign on the roof exclaiming "Liquor for Less!"?

j/k

#56 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

I'm helping with the rezoning VicDuck.

Also, I consider the owner one of the best business people in Victoria. Because of him, we still have programs for youth in trouble that would have been axed otherwise. I have a short list of people I will drop everything to help. That list includes Don Calveley, Mohan Jawl, Helen Hughes, and Charlene Thornton-Joe. As I got through my life, these are people who have really impressed me by throwing all their personal time into really working to make things better for people other than themselves. I think there are some people in the world who do a lot of the heavy lifting. I'm not necessarily one of those people, but I'm willing to help them when I can.

#57 Lazypirate

Lazypirate
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Caramia for posting all this information. I support this re-zoning and have written to Mayor and council already.

There is a group of people in the neighborhood that oppose it that I suspect will be very vocal at the public hearing. Anyone that supports this, please email Mayor and Council or speak out at the meeting. I believe the deadline for emails is Wednesday at noon.

#58 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Lazypirate! And welcome to VV!

#59 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

What a stunning success. Quadra Village can look forward to a new Cascadia in the months to come. Unanimous vote by council in favour. Incredible turn out both for and against. It was a hard fought battle and it went on until 11:00pm.

#60 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

yes what a long sitting! I'm glad the village is getting this. :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users