Photo

Movies!

• Please log in to reply
798 replies to this topic

#681 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:36 AM

Nothing wrong with it. Just strikes me as unusual- I don’t recall the last time an actor used a fake nose to appear more like a different ethnicity. Maybe it happens all the time and I’m not aware of it?

I guess I’m surprised cuz it seems similar to faking one’s ethnic appearance (like blackface) and that’s frowned upon nowadays. I don’t really see how this is different. But I admit I don’t understand PC thinking

#682 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:47 AM

Making an actor look more like the person they're portaying?

No way, Hollywood never does that.

A "Jew nose," Max, is an ethnic derision.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#683 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:52 AM

C’mon. The large hooked nose is a well known antisemitic caricature- has been for ages.

I’m just saying it strikes me as weird they chose to use a prosthetic of the very feature that’s been a racist trope for ages. Especially since most (all?) gentile portrayals of Jews don’t need/want to ‘enhance’ the nose.

But if the ADL isn’t offended, neither am I. I just think it’s really strange, and probably won’t age well. Similar to Jerry Lewis as a Chinese caricature, and the white guy playing an East Indian in the Johnny 5 movie…

Edit- Jerry Lewis portrayal was a Japanese caricature. Oops

Edited by max.bravo, 01 December 2023 - 10:05 AM.

#684 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 10:02 AM

...Similar to Jerry Lewis as a Chinese caricature, and the white guy playing an East Indian in the Johnny 5 movie…

Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was the absolute worst. I love this movie, but his scenes make me nearly ill.

#685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 12:50 PM

C’mon. The large hooked nose is a well known antisemitic caricature- has been for ages.

Well then why are you posting that here?

You offending -me- with that nonsense. If you want to be edgy with your bigotry maybe find some place else, please.

Final warning.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#686 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:36 PM

Huh? How am I the edgy bigot here? Genuinely confused how you got there.

I'm remarking that I find it interesting Bradley Cooper wore a prosthetic nose for the role, given that characteristic has a history of being used in a racist way.

It's interesting. This is why it's interesting. I don't think it will age well. End of statement.

The NYT, NBC, and the Guardian acknowledge the history of 'Jewface' trope. Is that acknowledgement off limits here?

https://www.theguard...ion-league-says

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has defended Bradley Cooper’s decision to wear a prosthetic nose to play Leonard Bernstein in his upcoming biopic about the legendary composer, after the actor was accused of performing in “Jewface”.
The US-based international Jewish organisation, which fights antisemitism and bigotry, issued a statement on Monday stating that the use of prosthetics was not inherently antisemitic.
Throughout history, Jews were often portrayed in antisemitic films and propaganda as evil caricatures with large, hooked noses,” the ADL said in a statement to media, first released to TMZ. “This film, which is a biopic on the legendary conductor Leonard Bernstein, is not that.”

https://www.nbcnews....face-rcna100137

The Media Diversity Institute describes on its website how portrayals of Jewish people as having "large, hooked" noses is an "image so deeply imbedded in modern culture, that most do not acknowledge that it is actually a deeply antisemitic stereotype."

"It hasn’t always been this way. Before the 12th century, there is no evidence of Jews being depicted with large noses," it says, asserting that the caricature of Jewish people "goes back to antisemitic and Nazi propaganda from the 1930s and since then has gone on to become a common trope and, whether intentionally or not — pushes antisemitic stereotypes to this day."

https://www.nytimes....-bernstein.html

When the makeup was first revealed last year, some questioned the decision by Cooper, who is not Jewish, to play Bernstein, who died in 1990. In the Netflix film, he stars opposite Carey Mulligan as Bernstein’s wife, Felicia Montealegre Bernstein.

The debut of a teaser trailer on Tuesday prompted further discussion on social media about both the prosthesis, which critics said played into an antisemitic trope, and about whether an actor who is Jewish should instead have been cast to play Bernstein, the “West Side Story” composer and music director of the New York Philharmonic.

In recent years, the question of which actors are eligible to play certain roles has been a hot-button issue in movies, television and theater, with an increasing consensus against actors’ portraying characters from marginalized groups whose traits they do not share.

Tom Hanks told The New York Times Magazine last year that in contemporary times he would correctly not be cast as a gay man with AIDS, as he was in the 1993 drama “Philadelphia.” At the 2016 Emmy Awards, the actor Jeffrey Tambor said he hoped to be the last cisgender man to play a transgender character, as he did in the series “Transparent.”

It's not just me who finds this an interesting choice - many more articles across mainstream media about it. 

Edited by max.bravo, 01 December 2023 - 01:37 PM.

#687 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,166 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:26 PM

it wasn't the 1930s, see the history of shylock https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shylock

#688 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:48 PM

People who get off on bigoted statements and ethnic slurs are the only ones who point them out.

I think I've made myself clear to everyone here. This is not the place for ethnic jokes, veiled bigotry or racism. I'm not even going to be asking people to clean up their acts from this point on, any post that crosses the line will just get axed. If I see it again, the account will be closed.

• lanforod likes this

Know it all.

#689 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:55 PM

On a lighter note I saw The Killer the other day. Not bad. Some flaws sure, but an old school style movie. 

#690 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,166 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 07:25 PM

the john woo movie? that's a classic. I also liked hard boiled, a better tomorrow 1 & 2 (the series that made him famous), bullet in the head (his vietnam movie) and red cliff :thumbsup:

#691 m3m

m3m
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 08:27 PM

Wow. No love for Face/Off ???

#692 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,166 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 09:27 PM

yes i forgot that one :wacko:

#693 LJ

LJ
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 05:12 AM

Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" was the absolute worst. I love this movie, but his scenes make me nearly ill.

Try Al Jolson singing Mammy.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#694 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 10:24 AM

Mike, reading back over my posts I think I haven’t communicated clearly. I should have put “[edited out by admin]” at first mention in quotes, because that’s not a stereotype I think is ok.

I’m a much bigger supporter of Israel than most. I think Jewish people are favoured by God, and I appreciate their incredible intelligence, creativity, and storytelling abilities - as evidenced by their over representation in almost every industry at the top levels - from global leadership and entertainment to news and banking. Brilliant people.

Back to movies, I’m surprised there’s nothing in the works yet about the current Israel - Hamas war. Or even the Ukraine war. Or am I missing something?

Edited by Mike K., 02 December 2023 - 10:47 AM.

#695 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 11:13 AM

the john woo movie? that's a classic. I also liked hard boiled, a better tomorrow 1 & 2 (the series that made him famous), bullet in the head (his vietnam movie) and red cliff :thumbsup:

John Woo is awesome but no, the new one on Netflix. Based on the Graphic Novel series I guess.

#696 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,166 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 12:38 PM

Back to movies, I’m surprised there’s nothing in the works yet about the current Israel - Hamas war. Or even the Ukraine war. Or am I missing something?

in that thread that got locked there was the documentary, israelism, that a jewish student group wanted to show at upenn. it came out in february they originally meant to show it on oct 24 but postponed it due to the oct 7 attack & retaliation. it seems they've gotten into trouble with the university admin who never really gave any reasons for not wanting to allow it. i suppose that relates to this gaza thing. maybe it's a streisand-effect thing also as i might not have found about it if the admins would have just let them show it.

#697 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:08 AM

Conservative Ballers

Thanks to the the "Daily Wire" and its movie "Lady Ballers," Hollywoke no longer has the last word.

Gibson’s team, the Lady Ballers, more than dominate the female players, they devastate them.  Boreing’s game montages are visceral and effective, as is his whole direction. The cultural mockery is fluid not forced and all the sharper for it. To understand the rules of the woke universe they’re entering, for instance, the team gets a blackboard lesson from little Winnie, using all the ridiculous liberal gibberish of the day, like “demi boy.”

Most of the jokes pay off, such as the team entering the locker room during a packed, loud men’s basketball game then exiting to a tomblike stadium for their contest. “It’s women’s basketball, boys,” explains Gibson. “Nobody watches.” But director Boreing cleverly intersperses the humor with poignant touches, like the faces of the beaten girl athletes whose hopes and hard work have been quashed. “I didn’t make the rules,” Gibson says. Which is the truest line in the movie.

And the woke-bashing isn’t limited to gender confusion, just the opposite. Lady Ballers features an element that was once a movie staple and is now rarer than a straight white couple in a TV ad — hot women. In fact, it flaunts it with a very sexy and funny Billie Rae Brandt as a sexually aggressive TV reporter who promotes Gibson’s scam for her own career while frustrating him no end. (READ MORE: A Christmas Moral for Women)

The non-actors playing the team members all rise to the occasion, if not as smoothly as professional actors would have. But that wasn’t Boreing’s fault. “Literally every singe actor we went out to for every single role told us no,” he told Shapiro (9:50). That’s Hollywood today. But thanks to the Daily Wire and Lady Ballers, it no longer has the last unfunny word.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2023 - 06:10 AM.

#698 todd

todd
  • 12,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:58 AM

Todd’s top Christmas:

1. Home Alone
2. Home Alone two
3. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
5. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
6. A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas
7. A Christmas Carol (1971)
8. A Charlie Brown Christmas
9. Ernest Saves Christmas
10. Deck the Halls
  • FawltyVic likes this

#699 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 06:58 AM

Conservative Ballers

Thanks to the the "Daily Wire" and its movie "Lady Ballers," Hollywoke no longer has the last word.

Gibson’s team, the Lady Ballers, more than dominate the female players, they devastate them.  Boreing’s game montages are visceral and effective, as is his whole direction. The cultural mockery is fluid not forced and all the sharper for it. To understand the rules of the woke universe they’re entering, for instance, the team gets a blackboard lesson from little Winnie, using all the ridiculous liberal gibberish of the day, like “demi boy.”

Most of the jokes pay off, such as the team entering the locker room during a packed, loud men’s basketball game then exiting to a tomblike stadium for their contest. “It’s women’s basketball, boys,” explains Gibson. “Nobody watches.” But director Boreing cleverly intersperses the humor with poignant touches, like the faces of the beaten girl athletes whose hopes and hard work have been quashed. “I didn’t make the rules,” Gibson says. Which is the truest line in the movie.

And the woke-bashing isn’t limited to gender confusion, just the opposite. Lady Ballers features an element that was once a movie staple and is now rarer than a straight white couple in a TV ad — hot women. In fact, it flaunts it with a very sexy and funny Billie Rae Brandt as a sexually aggressive TV reporter who promotes Gibson’s scam for her own career while frustrating him no end. (READ MORE: A Christmas Moral for Women)

The non-actors playing the team members all rise to the occasion, if not as smoothly as professional actors would have. But that wasn’t Boreing’s fault. “Literally every singe actor we went out to for every single role told us no,” he told Shapiro (9:50). That’s Hollywood today. But thanks to the Daily Wire and Lady Ballers, it no longer has the last unfunny word.

GATlojlXAAE8xwG.jpg

#700 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 10:41 AM

Do you have to buy a Dailywire subscription for Lady Ballers, or is it possible to rent it separately? Prob gonna give it a watch tonight.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users