• Please log in to reply
792 replies to this topic

#721 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,740 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 10:14 AM

Does the world actually end? Is that the good ending? :unsure:

No spoilers… But Chandler Bing is involved.
  • Nparker likes this

#722 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,740 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 10:16 AM

Godzilla Minus One

Post war Japan is at its lowest point when a new crisis emerges in the form of a giant monster, baptized in the horrific power of the atomic bomb.

https://www.boxoffic...e/rl1285456641/

https://www.rottento...zilla_minus_one

screenshot-www.rottentomatoes.com-2023.12.17-08_42_35.png

This looks like fun. Minus the end of the world trauma programming. I might take my son. Not sure how subtitles will go over but does it matter with an explosion movie?

#723 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,028 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 10:16 AM

I see that it's on Netflix. I'll have to check it out.

#724 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 10:33 AM

Saw Leaving the World Behind. Not bad. Besides all the -end of the world trauma- programming going on, I liked it. Good ending.

I liked it too. It gets better as it goes on - lots of twists to throw you off. Best thriller I’ve seen in a while… but only if you go into it with no expectations.
  • Nparker likes this

#725 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 December 2023 - 02:05 PM

December 23:
“Bring your SUP boards, kayaks, canoes and follow the Grinch along the Gorge to spread some Holiday Spirit !”: https://m.facebook.c...medium=referral

#726 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,740 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 07:00 AM

Godzilla minus one was good. A meat and potatoes monster movie. Pure entertainment.

#727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,583 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 08:49 AM

GCUh2gRaEAA_r22.jpg

#728 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,028 posts

Posted 27 December 2023 - 08:53 AM

RIP originality.

#729 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 11:17 PM

Your tax dollars at work:

The 10 worst movies of 2023, the year that Hollywood imploded

There was a whole lot of trash this year, so much of which unintentionally symbolized the signposts of industry rot.

Bonus Canadian Entry: Simulant

This homegrown sci-fi thriller (which somehow found the money/kompromat to convince real-deal movie stars Simu Liu, Jordana Brewster and Sam Worthington to participate) will make you question the very necessity and notion of Canadian genre cinema. In an industry where so many filmmakers struggle to realize their visions, Simulant is an especially egregious Telefilm-funded example of chasing bad money with even worse money, a disaster whose deficits demand to be high/lowlighted.

screenshot-www.boxofficemojo.com-2023.12.31-02_15_23.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 December 2023 - 11:17 PM.

#730 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 December 2023 - 02:53 PM

Half way through “Leave the World Behind”, very Y2K.

https://www.netflix..../title/81314956

Should VV fail, should probably have a muster station where at least we can exchange messages. I should be available on channel 16 VHF in the event

Edited by todd, 31 December 2023 - 02:57 PM.

#731 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,400 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 December 2023 - 04:31 PM

I’m heading straight for Sparky Bunker 1. Mike K bunker 2 is a bit too far.
  • Mike K., Sparky and todd like this

#732 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:33 AM

With Echo, Marvel bets on Indigenous superheroes and standalone projects as its cinematic universe struggles

'It's long overdue that we have an Indigenous superhero,' said co-star Devery Jacobs

The Disney+ series Echo stars Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez, a.k.a. Echo, the Indigenous-Latin American leader of the Tracksuit Mafia, a criminal gang run by the villainous Wilson Fisk, a.k.a. Kingpin, who is Maya's surrogate father.

The series finds Lopez, who is deaf, wears a prosthetic leg and can precisely mimic physical reflexes, confronting Fisk, played by Vincent D'Onofrio, and taking up her anti-hero mantle after she learns the full extent of his involvement in her real father's murder years before.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...arvel-1.7072716

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 January 2024 - 09:34 AM.

#733 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,400 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:42 AM

If this series is good, I'm certain it will be due to Vincent D'Onofrio. He's been a great Fisk, IMO (though not the best Kingpin in terms of actually being super strong).

Echo may be indigenous, but it's her disabilities that highlight who she is more than her race. I suspect the series will do the opposite though; it is Disney, after all.

#734 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,740 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:51 AM

If this series is good, I'm certain it will be due to Vincent D'Onofrio. He's been a great Fisk, IMO (though not the best Kingpin in terms of actually being super strong).

Echo may be indigenous, but it's her disabilities that highlight who she is more than her race. I suspect the series will do the opposite though; it is Disney, after all.

True. I was a big DD fan way back and thought the show was ok. He was a good Kingpin for sure. 

"'It's long overdue that we have an Indigenous superhero,' said co-star Devery Jacobs"

Respect the genre, Learn some history....

And this list doesn't even have the Shaman from Alpha Flight! 

https://en.wikipedia...can_superheroes

• lanforod likes this

#735 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 11:22 AM

If they can make it gritty like the trailers, it should be good.

True. I was a big DD fan way back and thought the show was ok. He was a good Kingpin for sure. 

"'It's long overdue that we have an Indigenous superhero,' said co-star Devery Jacobs"

Respect the genre, Learn some history....

And this list doesn't even have the Shaman from Alpha Flight! 

https://en.wikipedia...can_superheroes

Guessing he didn't mean comics and was meaning the MCU...  Would love a little Alpha Flight in some project.  Good recall...

Edited by Ismo07, 03 January 2024 - 11:30 AM.

#736 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 06:03 AM

The director of a Mickey Mouse slasher movie has a message for all the haters out there: Bring it on.

The trailer for Mickey's Mouse Trap dropped on Jan. 1, the same day the beloved Disney icon's earliest iteration entered the public domain. And already, director Jamie Bailey says, "there's a million TikToks" ripping it to shreds.

"We actually love the negative feedback because, you know, it just draws more interest," the Toronto-based horror filmmaker told As It Happens guest host Megan Williams.

https://www.cbc.ca/r...-trap-1.7073363

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 January 2024 - 06:03 AM.

#737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 01:03 AM

The federal government plans to pour $100 million into the film and TV industry.

Heritage Minister Pascale St-Onge says the money will go to Telefilm Canada over two years.

St-Onge says it is meant to help the organization modernize its suite of programs, while maintaining initiatives to diversify the sector in Canada and support environmental sustainability.

It's an increase in funding for Telefilm, which received $105 million over three years starting in 2021.

The federal government says there are more than 180,000 “full-time equivalent” jobs in the audiovisual sector in Canada, and it contributes $20.3 billion to Canada's GDP.

In a press release, St.-Onge says the funding will also lead to projects that connect Canadians, deepening the population's shared cultural touchstones.

https://www.ctvnews....years-1.6750211

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 February 2024 - 01:03 AM.

#738 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 01 February 2024 - 03:37 AM

I had the Trudeau government all wrong.  I truly had no idea - until now - that they had the money in the budget to deepen my shared cultural touchstones, and connect me with other Canadians.

Now they have my full support.

Why not take it to a $ billion?

• Nparker, LJ and lanforod like this

#739 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,583 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 07:31 PM

Madame Web is a superhero movie about someone with precognitive powers: To the extent that you can actually understand what her powers are, it's that she can see the future and in some cases act to stop terrible events from happening. You can tell it's fiction because this movie exists. 

Listless and incoherent throughout, Madame Web is a low-point for the superhero movie era, and I've seen Morbius. But not only does it demonstrate the genre's recent struggles, it points to a way out for Hollywood. 

Like Morbius, Madame Web is kinda-sorta-maybe adjacent to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) that has swallowed up so much of moviedom over the last 15 years. It's kinda-sorta-maybe related in that it opens with the familiar Marvel logo, and it is based on a character who debuted in the pages of one of Marvel's Spider-Man comics. But although Spider-Man has appeared in a handful of full-on MCU films over the years, the film rights to the character have long been owned by a rival studio, Sony, thanks to some complicated rights deals that go back decades. 

https://reason.com/2...perhero-movies/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2024 - 07:31 PM.

#740 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,196 posts

Posted 17 February 2024 - 02:25 AM

Nothing like Warren Beatty milking the Dick Tracey schtick for this long. Fabulous troll.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users