Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3401 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

Ok that was fast.... parking is a problem. Change is needed. Change upsets people.

That's the only possible reason why we do not have pay parking on Sunday, because it will upset people for a while.

I just walked down the section of Harris Green with angle parking, from Chambers to Cook.  2 hour parking, and more than 80% of the cars are work trucks from nearby job sites.  The spaces are only 50% full.  Why not get $4/day from them? 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 04 January 2018 - 09:50 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3402 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

That's the only possible reason why we do not have pay parking on Sunday, because it will upset people for a while.

I just walked down the section of Harris Green with angle parking, from Chambers to Cook.  2 hour parking, and more than 80% of the cars are work trucks from nearby job sites.  The spaces are only 50% full.  Why not get $4/day from them? 

It will happen, but not in an election year.

#3403 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

I'm sure they're thinking about it. They've been adjusting fringe areas like Meares already.

On another topic, I've heard of a few people complaining they lost their toonie in a parking meter. They only take up to one dollar coins.

#3404 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,594 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Pay parking would be better than no parking. Make it $7 to park till 6:00 in these park and walk zones.
  • nerka likes this

#3405 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

Is that because we have hundreds of people downtown wanting to go to church, and the reason they go to church on Sunday is because there used to be lots of street parking on Sunday because all the stores were closed.

Which Mayor allowed the stores to stay open on Sundays, as this could this be an upcoming election issue?    :farmer:

#3406 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,356 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:14 PM

Simple solution is to make it pay parking effective at noon.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3407 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:16 PM

Is that because we have hundreds of people downtown wanting to go to church...

I am not sure why churches need a tax break and their attendees get free parking. I remain hopeful that in time these issues will take care of themselves.

Edited by Nparker, 04 January 2018 - 01:16 PM.

#3408 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:33 PM

Is that because we have hundreds of people downtown wanting to go to church, and the reason they go to church on Sunday is because there used to be lots of street parking on Sunday because all the stores were closed.

I am not sure why churches need a tax break and their attendees get free parking. I remain hopeful that in time these issues will take care of themselves.

You will be very happy to know that it isn't limited to Sundays! To my knowledge, both the SDA church and the synagogue have agreements with the City for free parking on Saturday mornings.

#3409 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

You will be very happy to know that it isn't limited to Sundays! To my knowledge, both the SDA church and the synagogue have agreements with the City for free parking on Saturday mornings.

Do you need a decal in your window to get in on that?

#3410 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Do you need a decal in your window to get in on that?

Nope. Just park close to the church and leave before 1pm. I think the free parking agreement is on Vancouver between Pandora and Johnson, and on Pandora between Quadra and Cook.

#3411 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

We need more churches downtown.

#3412 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

...To my knowledge, both the SDA church and the synagogue have agreements with the City for free parking on Saturday mornings.

How about the "Masjid Al-Iman" mosque on Quadra Street?

#3413 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

How about the "Masjid Al-Iman" mosque on Quadra Street?

Is the street parking paid around there? If it is, they would have the same ability to approach the City for some sort of parking arrangement I imagine.

#3414 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,874 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

Is the street parking paid around there? If it is, they would have the same ability to approach the City for some sort of parking arrangement I imagine.

It's not paid, but it is time limited I believe. Do the "parking ambassadors" chalk tires in religious zones?

#3415 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:20 PM

26853949_10155891370620505_1410237361_o.jpg

3-year wait list.

So that's the resident parking wait list in a 90's building in the 900-blk. Yates.

Do the wait listed people own the second car already, and pay for parking nearby?  Or are they waiting until they get near the top of the list to buy it?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 January 2018 - 08:22 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3416 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Wait lists are meaningless. In the 70's yachting was booming so they decided to build more marinas, and there were long wait lists, so they built more marinas.

What happened was when someone bought a boat they got a slip at the new marina and neglected to contact the other marinas to take their name off of their wait list.

There were some empty spaces for a few years.

• Coreyburger likes this

#3417 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:09 PM

Wait lists are meaningless. In the 70's yachting was booming so they decided to build more marinas, and there were long wait lists, so they built more marinas.

What happened was when someone bought a boat they got a slip at the new marina and neglected to contact the other marinas to take their name off of their wait list.

There were some empty spaces for a few years.

You think an owner at 930 Yates is parking at 512 Pandora and content to stay there?

#3418 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, I don’t think this list is as useless as you say, Bingo. I would also wager that the strata controlled spaces are much cheaper than private or commercial alternatives.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3419 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:56 AM

Our downtown/Harris Green strata also has a parking waitlist. Only enough spaces for about 75% of the units...another 1990s building. When you sell your unit, you lose your space (if you rent your unit, you retain the space no matter how many tenants turnover). So new buyers are on the waitlist for a similar period...about three years.

And yes, far cheaper than any private lot. $75/month.

Believe me, if someone cut the line, there would be hell to pay.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,632 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

Right, I think lots of stratas limit parking to $75 per month when they control it.

So here we are, 1990’s buildings with parking capacity for 75% of the units based on traffic studies and future projections. And three year parking waitlists.

This is why Langford is now putting a stop to studies calling for less parking and mandating developers provide adequate supply. I mean the day a building opens and you have people scrambling for parking, doesn’t that tell you the formula is broken, and has been for 20 years?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users