Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
3889 replies to this topic

#3881 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Louis CK lives in Manhattan and owns a yacht.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3882 tjv

tjv
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

To be honest, if you were to take a cab everywhere (so long as you wouldn’t use it to commute from the Westshore everyday) you’d be well ahead of owning your own car, cost wise.

Parking, gas, insurance, maintenance and incidental costs (courtesy of Ismo and his parking ticket brigade) yield a higher cost than just being chauffeured around town. And that’s not including the purchase price of the vehicle.

It all depends on where you live I think.  In town that could probably work, but then what happens when you have to do some running around like a trip to Costco, attend a friends party at their place in Central Saanich, etc.

It doesn't take much to change the economics as soon as you live a little out of town.  Take my place by Butchart Gardens, its $56 to downtown each way via taxi and I am not that far from town.  According to Google Maps I can be downtown in 20 minutes right now

#3883 On the Level

On the Level
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

To be honest, if you were to take a cab everywhere (so long as you wouldn’t use it to commute from the Westshore everyday) you’d be well ahead of owning your own car, cost wise.

Parking, gas, insurance, maintenance and incidental costs (courtesy of Ismo and his parking ticket brigade) yield a higher cost than just being chauffeured around town. And that’s not including the purchase price of the vehicle.

Cost wise that's true.  It breaks down for those like me that need to book travel time into their calendar between meetings and locations between the core and elsewhere.  That assumes I can walk out and the cab is waiting as it was suppose to be when I booked in the morning. Doesn't happen.    

#3884 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 314 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:19 PM

It all depends on where you live I think.  In town that could probably work, but then what happens when you have to do some running around like a trip to Costco, attend a friends party at their place in Central Saanich, etc.

Car share is great for that.

#3885 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:46 AM

So what does that mean when she has to attend meetings outside of City Hall?

wasn't she seen using a city owned car and when questioned said she was using it to attend meetings outside city hall? (then made a personal errand to the market on yates grocery store carrying her reusable bags)

#3886 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

Dang it, Ismo. Can we do away with the time limits for on-street parking, or add a feature to the app so that it just rolls into the next 1.5 hours if you pre-set it to? Yesterday I got caught in a situation where I couldn't break away from my presentation to add 30 minutes to my 1.5 hours (I know know, that's against the rules to double back in a single stall) and got dinged. So now I'm out $24.50 for two hours of parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3887 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

Dang it, Ismo. Can we do away with the time limits for on-street parking, or add a feature to the app so that it just rolls into the next 1.5 hours if you pre-set it to? Yesterday I got caught in a situation where I couldn't break away from my presentation to add 30 minutes to my 1.5 hours (I know know, that's against the rules to double back in a single stall) and got dinged. So now I'm out $24.50 for two hours of parking.

Well the downtown core typically has a desire to have that turnover.  Without it many people would park much longer on the street limiting the capacity of the 830 or so parking spaces in the 90-minute limit downtown core.  When you go to a meeting and presentation where you will need more than 90 minutes and you are aware you will be longer, likely better to park a couple blocks away (if you want to park on-street still) or utilize a parkade/parking lot.  Apple Juice would've loved to park at the 900 Wharf Lot.

Very few cities do not have a maximum for on-street parking, I can really only think of one.

• Baro likes this

#3888 nagel

nagel
  • 5,672 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

"Man upset there are financial consequences of not following parking rules."

This could seriously get 90 minutes of airtime on CFAX.

• Baro, Rob Randall, Matt R. and 2 others like this

#3889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,232 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

Don't you start up on financial consequences, pedalpants!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3890 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,865 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

Louis CK lives in Manhattan and owns a yacht.

Indeed, but it's only 35' long ... a long ways from the 150' noted in my post!

35' is most certainly not a yacht.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.