Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#3881 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,034 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Louis CK lives in Manhattan and owns a yacht.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3882 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

To be honest, if you were to take a cab everywhere (so long as you wouldn’t use it to commute from the Westshore everyday) you’d be well ahead of owning your own car, cost wise.

Parking, gas, insurance, maintenance and incidental costs (courtesy of Ismo and his parking ticket brigade) yield a higher cost than just being chauffeured around town. And that’s not including the purchase price of the vehicle.

It all depends on where you live I think.  In town that could probably work, but then what happens when you have to do some running around like a trip to Costco, attend a friends party at their place in Central Saanich, etc.

It doesn't take much to change the economics as soon as you live a little out of town.  Take my place by Butchart Gardens, its $56 to downtown each way via taxi and I am not that far from town.  According to Google Maps I can be downtown in 20 minutes right now

#3883 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

To be honest, if you were to take a cab everywhere (so long as you wouldn’t use it to commute from the Westshore everyday) you’d be well ahead of owning your own car, cost wise.

Parking, gas, insurance, maintenance and incidental costs (courtesy of Ismo and his parking ticket brigade) yield a higher cost than just being chauffeured around town. And that’s not including the purchase price of the vehicle.

Cost wise that's true.  It breaks down for those like me that need to book travel time into their calendar between meetings and locations between the core and elsewhere.  That assumes I can walk out and the cab is waiting as it was suppose to be when I booked in the morning. Doesn't happen.    

#3884 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:19 PM

It all depends on where you live I think.  In town that could probably work, but then what happens when you have to do some running around like a trip to Costco, attend a friends party at their place in Central Saanich, etc.

Car share is great for that.

#3885 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:46 AM

So what does that mean when she has to attend meetings outside of City Hall?

wasn't she seen using a city owned car and when questioned said she was using it to attend meetings outside city hall? (then made a personal errand to the market on yates grocery store carrying her reusable bags)

#3886 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

Dang it, Ismo. Can we do away with the time limits for on-street parking, or add a feature to the app so that it just rolls into the next 1.5 hours if you pre-set it to? Yesterday I got caught in a situation where I couldn't break away from my presentation to add 30 minutes to my 1.5 hours (I know know, that's against the rules to double back in a single stall) and got dinged. So now I'm out $24.50 for two hours of parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3887 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

Dang it, Ismo. Can we do away with the time limits for on-street parking, or add a feature to the app so that it just rolls into the next 1.5 hours if you pre-set it to? Yesterday I got caught in a situation where I couldn't break away from my presentation to add 30 minutes to my 1.5 hours (I know know, that's against the rules to double back in a single stall) and got dinged. So now I'm out $24.50 for two hours of parking.

Well the downtown core typically has a desire to have that turnover.  Without it many people would park much longer on the street limiting the capacity of the 830 or so parking spaces in the 90-minute limit downtown core.  When you go to a meeting and presentation where you will need more than 90 minutes and you are aware you will be longer, likely better to park a couple blocks away (if you want to park on-street still) or utilize a parkade/parking lot.  Apple Juice would've loved to park at the 900 Wharf Lot.

Very few cities do not have a maximum for on-street parking, I can really only think of one.

• Baro likes this

#3888 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:32 AM

"Man upset there are financial consequences of not following parking rules."

This could seriously get 90 minutes of airtime on CFAX.

• Baro, Rob Randall, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#3889 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

Don't you start up on financial consequences, pedalpants!

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3890 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

Louis CK lives in Manhattan and owns a yacht.

Indeed, but it's only 35' long ... a long ways from the 150' noted in my post!

35' is most certainly not a yacht.

#3891 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:36 AM

Westshore-Park-and-Ride-options-2019.jpg

Exclusive: Westshore transit improvement plans yield 12 park-and-ride options for commuters

https://victoria.cit...-for-commuters/

Know it all.

#3892 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

At a special Committee of the Whole meeting held yesterday morning City of Victoria councillors decided to pursue plans to introduce Sunday on-street paid parking as the means by which the City will pay for BC Transit passes for youth.

Transit passes for youth were a key component of Mayor Lisa Helps' 2018 election campaign, although at the time the means of funding the passes was not yet decided.

Council has directed staff to provide more information regarding youth passes and the opportunity to charge Sunday parking fees to pay for them.

Know it all.

#3893 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

I'd like to say this surprises me, but this council has a real knack for taking things that are working well (like free Sunday parking) and ****ing them up.  :whyme:

• rmpeers likes this

#3894 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:28 PM

At a special Committee of the Whole meeting held yesterday morning City of Victoria councillors decided to pursue plans to introduce Sunday on-street paid parking as the means by which the City will pay for BC Transit passes for youth.

Transit passes for youth were a key component of Mayor Lisa Helps' 2018 election campaign, although at the time the means of funding the passes was not yet decided.

Council has directed staff to provide more information regarding youth passes and the opportunity to charge Sunday parking fees to pay for them.

I suspect that people will just park in the parkades. Either way, downtown merchants will suffer.

#3895 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:30 PM

nah everyone just buses and bikes to and from downtown with their reusable shopping bags in case they want to eat that day

• jonny likes this

#3896 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:31 PM

I'm in favour, if it legitimately is able to fund transit passes for youth. Seems like a good trade-off to me. I see no reason why Sunday is anymore exempt to parking fees than Saturday is. 

Then again, I'm one of those people who busses, bikes, and brings re-useable shopping bags downtown. Radical, I know. 

• tedward, thundergun and vortoozo like this

#3897 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

I'm in favour, if it legitimately is able to fund transit passes for youth...

BC Transit is a provincial responsibility. If the CoV feels that "free" youth bus passes are important they should be lobbying the province to make this happen. This council really needs to understand where their jurisdiction and responsibilities end and where other levels of government begin.

• mbjj and Midnightly like this

#3898 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

BC Transit is funded both locally and provincially.

#3899 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:15 PM

BC Transit is funded both locally and provincially.

Agreed, but it is administered provincially. A policy change such as free youth bus passes should be made at that level, not by each municipality.

#3900 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:18 PM

Fares & service levels are set by each municipality - that's not a provincial responsibility.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)