Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4021 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

CoVs approach to costing under Ms Helps and Mr Fortins tenure has usually involved a set of darts and a dartboard

While wearing blindfolds.

#4022 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

...We know the Mayor didn't bother to consult with the public on this but it sounds like she didn't even consult with her own staff.

Her October election win has emboldened her. Expect more of this over the next 4 years.

#4023 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:00 AM

I had a situation last week where I was going to bus downtown with the kids but when I realized the 9 and 7 year olds were both full fare, there and back went from a $5 trip to $15. I just stayed home. If I could have, I would have drove. Fares certainly influence decisions.

Nagel, If you would've purchased a day pass for $5 you could take up to 4 kids under the age of 12 for free.

while i agree with sunday pay parking in general and the free parkades makes sense it's a bit surprising how little thought and engagement has gone into this.

• may 1 - with no public feedback period
  • no plan for public education - we've had free sundays since 1882 it's a big change.  signage?  fine grace period?
  • a $600,000 conservative revenue estimate - did we request a "conservative" estimate or helps just says it is one?
  • no price plan or schedule for bct bus passes

There would certainly be a plan for education and signage. The City wouldn't simply flip a switch.  Council would direct a policy but the operation and planning would fall to staff.   Once approved in a Council meeting, there is still discussion to occur, staff will have time to formulate the 'how to'.

Edited by Ismo07, 21 February 2019 - 09:04 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4024 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

...Once approved in a Council meeting, there is still discussion to occur, staff will have time to formulate the 'how to'.

But no chance for public input or consultation.  :(

• sdwright.vic and Midnightly like this

#4025 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

SD61 students can already get free BC Transit bus passes if they attend their catchment school and live beyond walking distance.  So they are stepping up to some degree.

Since when?!?! 

EDIT: I found the page (that I have never heard of in my 19+ years as a parent with a kid in SD61) .

This is some kind of joke right? For Elementary the distance is 4km, for high school the walking distance is 4.8 km. How is any student in the district going to meet that requirement.

More importantly, how is that a reasonable distance for kids to walk to school?!?!

Edited by tedward, 21 February 2019 - 09:24 AM.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#4026 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:22 AM

At the very least, there will be an amendment to the traffic bylaw which will require a Public Hearing. 

#4027 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

There has been a lot of public reaction for sure.  It's not clear what public input Council will look for or expect.  Typically with parking rate increases the input is very similar, this might be the 4th or 5th time over the last 25 years Sunday parking has come up.  Not sure if there would ever be a consensus publically to charge for Sunday parking.  I am happy to accept input however (for anything related to parking) as there are many details to work out here besides just charging for parking. 

#4028 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:32 AM

Since when?!?! 

EDIT: I found the page (that I have never heard of in my 19+ years as a parent with a kid in SD61) .

This is some kind of joke right? For Elementary the distance is 4km, for high school the walking distance is 4.8 km. How is any student in the district going to meet that requirement.

More importantly, how is that a reasonable distance for kids to walk to school?!?!

Since when?!?! 

it only applies to some small areas mostly in west saanich.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2019 - 09:33 AM.

#4029 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:32 AM

There has been a lot of public reaction for sure.  It's not clear what public input Council will look for or expect.  Typically with parking rate increases the input is very similar, this might be the 4th or 5th time over the last 25 years Sunday parking has come up.  Not sure if there would ever be a consensus publically to charge for Sunday parking.  I am happy to accept input however (for anything related to parking) as there are many details to work out here besides just charging for parking

That's the bit that always seems to be lost on elected officials: the details.

• Nparker likes this

#4030 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:34 AM

Since when?!?! 

According to Google Maps the shortest walking route to our catchment area  high school is 6.8km.

#4031 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

it only applies to some small areas mostly in west saanich.

And View Royal.

#4032 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:39 AM

I am happy to accept input however (for anything related to parking) as there are many details to work out here besides just charging for parking. 

my input would be lots of signage for the first 4 weeks of policy. see if you can find an economical/reusable sign for all the blue number posts. a sign on the kiosk is not enough.  don't count on downtown businesses to inform people.  the first 4 sundays you should only hand out warning tickets where feasible.  2 sundays PRIOR to the change you might try info "tickets" on windshields.   

ALSO what about stat holidays?   they should be pay parking too.  with free parkades.  even if enforcement is minimal (to save holiday pay).  12 days of revenue is thrown away now.  soon to be 13 with indigenous day.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2019 - 09:46 AM.

• Ismo07 likes this

#4033 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

And View Royal.

and view royal.  

#4034 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 21 February 2019 - 10:09 AM

and view royal.  

You forgot about Poland.

• Matt R. likes this

#4035 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

There has been a lot of public reaction for sure.  It's not clear what public input Council will look for or expect.  Typically with parking rate increases the input is very similar, this might be the 4th or 5th time over the last 25 years Sunday parking has come up.  Not sure if there would ever be a consensus publically to charge for Sunday parking.  I am happy to accept input however (for anything related to parking) as there are many details to work out here besides just charging for parking. 

Whats the pushback from the churches downtown? Like the area around the Synagogue on Saturday mornings, isnt there some exception on Saturdays around there? In Cities in the UK the parking fees usually dont kick in till after noon to enable church attendance etc.

If they lose that then there is no reason to give special favor to the Synagogue on Saturdays either is there?

#4036 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:39 AM

Whats the pushback from the churches downtown? Like the area around the Synagogue on Saturday mornings, isnt there some exception on Saturdays around there? In Cities in the UK the parking fees usually dont kick in till after noon to enable church attendance etc.

If they lose that then there is no reason to give special favor to the Synagogue on Saturdays either is there?

The SDA church on Pandora has the same agreement with the City, but of course they're moving to Saanich so the current parking agreement will be moot in a couple years.

#4037 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

did she on campaign in part on being more open and honest and offer up more consultation and public input? especially with listening to those who don't share the same opinions as her.. it seems like that promise was quickly tossed out the window

• rjag likes this

#4038 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

No doubt she got all the consultation she intends to use over the next 4 years "on the doorsteps" or some such nonsense.

#4039 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:26 PM

Another nail in the coffin for downtown businesses. 

#4040 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2019 - 02:45 AM

Since when?!?! 

That hasn't changed in forever - when I was going to school in the 70's the numbers were close to the same.  I know because the cutoff for school busing in SD 63 was 3 miles and I was 2.8 miles from my junoir high school...which made for a decent bike ride each day, if nothing else. (the elementary and senior high schools were, fortunately, a bit closer :) )

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users