Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#4581 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:56 AM

Yes you're correct, they have the driveway area but its a fire code / ambulance rule to keep it clear at all times so unless you are a taxi where you dont leave the vehicle...but more often than not like I said loading and unloading can take 5 mins or so. Then theres the handidart, Its very tight in the driveway so they usually park just to the front blocking it or at this spot. I was working there the other day with the flu clinic for 2 hours and theres no 2 hour parking available. They do have 1/2 dozen spaces on the inside of their parking area but that also City patrolled and limited to 1 hour. My tires have been chalked a few times there so it looks like they are not turning the blind eye they used to

But they have a pull in spot for two vehicles right at the front door...

#4582 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 November 2020 - 02:28 PM

Anyone know why the stretch of Dallas Road below the flagpole now has a huge long swath of yellow line where there was none before? It's on the ocean side by the dog-free area. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it except to piss people off. Once again, nowhere at all along Dallas Road to park today. The only place we've been able to stop to admire the sea are both in Oak Bay. An awful lot of parking has been eliminated along Dallas Road.

#4583 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

Fight over New York parking space devolves into insane brawl:

https://twitter.com/...784284094787584

• rjag likes this

#4584 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:05 PM

I was about to say, booooriii ...when holy smokes!
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4585 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:40 PM

Fight over New York parking space devolves into insane brawl:

https://twitter.com/...784284094787584

Well that got intense...  I'm not sure that was over the parking...

#4586 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:44 PM

For some Queens parking devotees, the motorist-on-motorist violence is just a preview of the NIMBY backlash expected under a citywide plan to to install a .3 mile busway along the clogged corridor between Northern Boulevard and Sanford Avenue.

"What happened yesterday is a little appetizer of what’s going to happen, but even worse," Andy Chen, a driver and activist with Asian American Community Empowerment, told Gothamist. "The [Department of Transportation] and Mayor’s Office bears responsibility for what actually happened."

https://gothamist.co...wrecking-bakery

#4587 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:26 PM

"Asian American Community Empowerment"?  I'm feeling like I'm missing out by not being part of a group. 

Todd....can you please start one for Victoria?  Perhaps the Victoria Octlantis Neigbourhood Justice Network(VONJN)?  

Or something like this one.....but for us Islanders?

https://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Or we could go big.....International Community of Off Topic Enablers (ICOTE)?

• Nparker likes this

#4588 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:15 PM

Well that went sidewise fast....but i'm still looking at the same blue car every day, all day, in the one hour zone, that someone claims is actually being enforced.

#4589 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 November 2020 - 02:49 AM

Well that went sidewise fast....but i'm still looking at the same blue car every day, all day, in the one hour zone, that someone claims is actually being enforced.

Is that car there during the night as well?  If yes, it might belong to someone who lives on that street and who thus might have some sort of exemption.

#4590 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 05:43 AM

The Bay Centre is offering free parking after 6pm on Thursday & Fridays, and 3 hour free parking on weekends.

• mbjj and On the Level like this

#4591 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 06:40 AM

The Bay Centre is offering free parking after 6pm on Thursday & Fridays, and 3 hour free parking on weekends.

CoV won't be happy with the competition.  That's going to take money away from housing Canada's homeless and the elimination of the worlds fossil fuel industry.

• lanforod, mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#4592 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 04:15 PM

Is that car there during the night as well?  If yes, it might belong to someone who lives on that street and who thus might have some sort of exemption.

Nope totally commercial/industrial area. I know who owns the car. It is a recent new business owner who parks right in front of their business. Where their customers (or mine) should be able to park.  :badpc:  In the busy part of the day, I have watched a car crawl by on that side of the street, then keep going cause there is no parking. 

#4593 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:28 PM

I thought I read it was on Sundays. Is it Saturdays as well? If so, I will partake. 

#4594 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,049 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:19 PM

how does this work?

• todd likes this

#4595 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:22 PM

how does this work?

Well you park and walk in and they use the parking app for you while you shop.  Then turn it off when you leave..  It's worked well actually from what I understand.

Edited by Ismo07, 23 November 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#4596 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:42 PM

well that makes sense.
  • todd likes this

#4597 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 25 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

Public parkade opens this spring between 800-blocks of Yates and Johnson streets - https://victoria.cit...ohnson-streets/

The parkade will feature 62 public stalls available on a monthly basis.

• todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4598 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,049 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:13 AM

The City of Victoria is installing its first fast-charging stations for electric vehicles on Store Street near the Johnson Street bridge.

On Wednesday, the city announced it is working with B.C. Hydro to install two direct-current fast chargers at the south end of Store Street, between Johnson and Pandora. The chargers are expected to be ready for use by April.

https://www.timescol...town-1.24277204

#4599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:51 AM

t’s actually Hydro working with the City, this isn’t a CoV project the way the TC is describing it.

Know it all.

#4600 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:05 AM

Saanich bylaw staff to take over parking enforcement from police

https://www.timescol...lice-1.24277215

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users