Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
4619 replies to this topic

#4601 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 19,563 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 February 2021 - 01:24 PM

Saanich bylaw staff to take over parking enforcement from police

https://www.timescol...lice-1.24277215

Fred Haynes needs to free up cops to write speeding tickets for his 40k zones :D

• rjag likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4602 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:45 PM

A woman who parks her car on the street near her workplace in south Oak Bay has had about half a dozen notes put on her car from a resident claiming it’s in front of their house.

Parking on a public street is public property. Thus ensued a small debate on Facebook, where Amy Morrison posted a photo of the latest note on Friday.

24356485_web1_210226-OBN-Parking-Note-Oa

“I rotate where I park every day with a two-block radius so as to not cause any inconvenience to anyone. The street has unrestricted parking but I’m not here to argue my right to park in front of someone’s house – I recognize not everyone is able-bodied or they have to wrestle with small children or pets and parking in front of their house is an appreciated luxury and I don’t mind the walk. I would rather be accommodating than right,” Morrison posted.

https://www.vicnews....street-parking/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 February 2021 - 03:45 PM.

#4603 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:36 PM

Why don’t they park in the driveway or garage?

Matt.

#4604 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Why don’t they park in the driveway or garage?

Matt.

likely they have many cars and/or a full garage.

it's a bit odd though.  hey, park in front of someone else's house, we park here.

i wonder where it is in "south oak bay".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 February 2021 - 05:23 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#4605 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 531 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 11:01 PM

the south Oak Bay residents are in a different class.  I had a coworker who lived in Oak Bay and when I mentioned it, she would always correct me and say, "No, I live in south Oak Bay"

So for the above person, it's like how dare you park your stinking Victoria car in front of my south Oak Bay house.

#4606 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:31 AM

The expansion of a pilot project that uses a pay-by-space model will result in City of Victoria parkade attendants being removed from their posts and offered positions as on-street parking monitors.

According to a city spokesperson, the self-serve system piloted since last fall in the Johnson Street parkade is scheduled to be implemented in other city parkades using a phased approach, likely to start this summer.

No job losses are anticipated with the change, and the city and the union representing affected staff are working to minimize any impact on staff, including rates of pay, the spokesperson said.

https://www.vicnews....serve-machines/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 March 2021 - 09:32 AM.

#4607 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 920 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:40 AM

^

Great, this should help reduce lines to get out of the parkades.

#4608 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:48 PM

We know someone who is a parking attendant. I think some of those positions were created for folks with mobility issues. Can't see them tromping around the streets. 

#4609 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 20,994 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 01:52 PM

We know someone who is a parking attendant. I think some of those positions were created for folks with mobility issues. Can't see them tromping around the streets. 

sounds as though they will be offered other City jobs with no loss of pay even if they change classifications.

#4610 todd

todd
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:35 PM

the south Oak Bay residents are in a different class.  I had a coworker who lived in Oak Bay and when I mentioned it, she would always correct me and say, "No, I live in south Oak Bay"

So for the above person, it's like how dare you park your stinking Victoria car in front of my south Oak Bay house.

There’s only a handful of “residential only” spots in Oak Bay. Victoria has “residential only” parking practically everywhere you might think somebody would like to conveniently park.

A nicer letter with smaller font would have been nice.

SOB is not necessarily a better class but definitely a different class than say Uplands and is important to point this out if you do not like to be included in the 1% category.

#4611 todd

todd
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:11 PM

^
5B18068A-BF59-4AD9-89C7-7766800F05CF.png

#4612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 62,230 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:16 PM

North Oak Bay suddenly feels like the View Royal of Oak Bay.
  • Nparker, rjag and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4613 Rob Randall

Rob Randall

C'mon man, cut out the malarkey

• 15,343 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:28 PM

"Gonzales

South Oak Bay, Only Southier!"

• Matt R. likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#4614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 62,230 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

Imagine living in a place called Eastvan, but paying Oak Bay taxes.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4615 todd

todd
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:26 PM

Imagine living in a place called Eastvan, but paying Oak Bay taxes.

That’s the Upperslands.

#4616 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 10:58 PM

Parking was never, ever a problem at the OBM, even though most days I was on two wheels.

I worked with lots of oak bay kids, naturally, never understood the south oak bay elitism which seemed to be a thing even at the time. I always preferred estevan.

Matt.
  • rjag and todd like this

#4617 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 62,230 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 07:27 AM

Eastvan, Matt.
  • rjag, Matt R. and todd like this

Know it all.

#4618 rjag

rjag
  • 6,095 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 March 2021 - 08:01 AM

Was at a dinner party a decade back and one of the couples lived in Langford except when asked she said they lived in Extreme South Shawnigan....she was serious.

Funny how some folks get whipped up about postal codes. Heck we dont live in North OB but sometimes say Henderson or 'up by UVic'. Only the gardeners, dogwalker and the cleaning staff need to know the proper address.

• todd and Victoria Watcher like this

#4619 todd

todd
  • 9,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 11:51 AM

I always preferred estevan.

Matt.

the beaches are very crowded in Estevan. some people do like that

• Matt R. likes this

#4620 todd

todd
  • 9,009 posts