Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#5301 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:31 AM

Pandora Street, Topaz Park, Stadacona Park, etc can all be traced directly to 1985, and can be squarely laid at the feet of the B.C. Supreme Court, the B.C. Provincial Government, and the City of Victoria.

The Province can be squarely blamed for the closing of Tranquille, Glendale, Riverview, and Woodlands, along with the entire support infrastructure designed to assist mentally ill British Columbians.

The City can be blamed for it's endless toying with local by-laws designed to prevent situations like Pandora Street from happening in the first place.

And the courts can be blamed for their endless "experimenting" with what the Charter might (or could) mean if they misconstrue original intent of its authors, or simply twist a word or phrase here or there.

Add the millions at stake funding the special interest groups and poverty pimps, and suddenly Pandora, Topaz, Stadacona, etc all make complete and total sense.

• Nparker, spanky123 and Barrrister like this

#5302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 11:45 AM

Pandora Street, Topaz Park, Stadacona Park, etc can all be traced directly to 1985, and can be squarely laid at the feet of the B.C. Supreme Court, the B.C. Provincial Government, and the City of Victoria.

Incorrect.

That law says campers must pack up every night 7am to 7pm.  Of the 13 municipalities here only Victoria ignores that rule.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2023 - 11:46 AM.

#5303 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 05:21 AM

Incorrect.

That law says campers must pack up every night 7am to 7pm.  Of the 13 municipalities here only Victoria ignores that rule.

I don't think anything is incorrect?

I noted that the City of Victoria is at fault for "endless toying" with existing by-laws.

Your observation is but an example of this, and points to the City of Victoria as the creator of these semi permanent homeless camps.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5304 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 12:23 AM

Canada has way more parking than cars. Is it time for that to change?

Even if plain, boring parking lots seem to dominate city landscapes, author Henry Grabar says it's not too late to shift gears towards a less car-centric society, which could open up parking spaces to be used for other needs such as affordable housing. 

"We have spent a long time thinking about how automobiles and roads have transformed our landscape, but paid very little attention to parking. And I think that's a mistake," Grabar told The Sunday Magazine guest host Robyn Bresnahan.

"A car spends 95 per cent of its lifespan parked. So when you think about the car's actual spatial impact on the places we live, you're mostly talking about parking."

Grabar is a journalist for Slate and the author of a new book called Paved Paradise: How Parking Explains the World.

He says a move away from the need for parking spaces could open up more options for affordable housing, and make cities more walkable. 

But according to Grabar there is too much parking, and the planning around it hasn't been getting the attention it needs. 

Grabar says that's because parking sits at the intersection of land use and transportation. He says that often the people in charge of transportation don't think about parking and, with the exception of residential developments, architects often don't consider where to put cars until after a building is designed. 

https://www.cbc.ca/r...nning-1.6862522

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2023 - 12:24 AM.

#5305 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:41 AM

Canada has way more parking than cars. Is it time for that to change?

Even if plain, boring parking lots seem to dominate city landscapes, author Henry Grabar says it's not too late to shift gears towards a less car-centric society, which could open up parking spaces to be used for other needs such as affordable housing. 

"We have spent a long time thinking about how automobiles and roads have transformed our landscape, but paid very little attention to parking. And I think that's a mistake," Grabar told The Sunday Magazine guest host Robyn Bresnahan.

"A car spends 95 per cent of its lifespan parked. So when you think about the car's actual spatial impact on the places we live, you're mostly talking about parking."

Grabar is a journalist for Slate and the author of a new book called Paved Paradise: How Parking Explains the World.

He says a move away from the need for parking spaces could open up more options for affordable housing, and make cities more walkable. 

But according to Grabar there is too much parking, and the planning around it hasn't been getting the attention it needs. 

Grabar says that's because parking sits at the intersection of land use and transportation. He says that often the people in charge of transportation don't think about parking and, with the exception of residential developments, architects often don't consider where to put cars until after a building is designed. 

https://www.cbc.ca/r...nning-1.6862522

Yeah it's been a long standing argument.  It's an odd one for me to understand.  Just cause the car isn't used much more than hour a day, the argument that is made that we don't need much parking is weird. 

#5306 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:49 AM

I only use my washing machine one or two days per week, but I still need to put it somewhere.

• jrm likes this

#5307 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:07 AM

I only use my washing machine one or two days per week, but I still need to put it somewhere.

Yeah but it's static.  A vehicle will need typically 2-3 spaces a day.  More if the average person has got errands or events to go to so could increase to 5 or 6 even though the vehicle isn't use for a high % of the day.  This is where those folks claiming because the car is stopped for 23 hours a day that spaces aren't needed.  

• aastra likes this

#5308 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:12 AM

The car does not need 2 or 3 spaces at a time though.

Also, my washing machine is on wheels.  It's got wifi so I take it to the library or sometimes to the gym. 

• aastra likes this

#5309 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:19 AM

...my washing machine is on wheels.  It's got wifi so I take it to the library or sometimes to the gym. 

We should try to get your washing machine together with my Smart refrigerator. They might hit it off. Just a heads-up though, my appliance can be a bit cold at times. Perhaps set your washer on the gentle cycle.

#5310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 03:37 PM

Sounds like they’ll get their Freon!
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5311 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 June 2023 - 05:08 PM

Careful, you’re gendering these appliances. Best ask what preferred pronouns Washing Machine and Fridge use first. Safe space and all that.

#5312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 05:28 PM

I've always been completely open to my refrigerator expressing their self however they feel comfortable, even if they choose to identify as a stove, a dishwasher, or a combination of all three.

#5313 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:13 PM

So now we're going to switch from acres of surface parking to no parking at all, as if there aren't all kinds of options that could be pursued in between those extremes?

#5314 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:15 PM

I've always been completely open to my refrigerator expressing their self however they feel comfortable, even if they choose to identify as a stove, a dishwasher, or a combination of all three.

You might change your tune if your toaster ever decides it wants to be a deep fryer.

#5315 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:20 PM

You might change your tune if your toaster ever decides it wants to be a deep fryer

I rather like the idea of an all-in-one appliance for making French Toast.

#5316 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:03 AM

Be prepared for smashed car windows at parkades

Multiple car windows were smashed while parked at the city’s Broughton Street Parkade. Sadly that doesn’t seem to be atypical and parking in any parkade is at the driver’s own risk.

Here are a few things readers may not know and which they should be aware of:

1. Despite the increase in crime, especially vandalism, the city still has not installed security cameras on most levels of the parkade. Allegedly the ceilings are too low for cameras.

2. Despite this not being a rare event, parkade security has no access to basic things which may assist driver’s returning to their vehicle to discover this kind of vandalism.  They cannot even provide access to a broom to help remove broken glass from a vehicle. Drivers may want to keep things like a pair of work gloves or closed-toed shoes in their car in case they need to deal with this type of vandalism before trying to drive home.  For the rainy season, some strong plastic and tape may be useful. Just hope those things aren’t what gets stolen out of your vehicle.

3. If you have more than one window smashed, you can’t use ICBC’s speedy glass repair option.

4. If you ask about assistance, police will suggest you call BCAA, if you’re a member. (Police will not attend the scene, even when multiple cars are affected, given there is no camera in the parkade unless there is a witness.) BCAA’s only offered option was to tow the vehicle.

Christina Drake

Victoria

https://www.timescol...housing-7126357

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2023 - 05:04 AM.

#5317 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:30 AM

One more reason not to go downtown. I dont blame the police, even if they catch someone they are out in a few hours and even if convicted it is just a slap on the wrist so what is the point. 

#5318 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:34 AM

Pretty sure there are places for cameras even in a low-ceiling environment.  Like corners and adjacent to beams.

6966dfd9b8d99e58ede07c0fc5432dd57596c524 copy.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2023 - 05:37 AM.

• phx and Matt R. like this

#5319 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:36 AM

VicWatcher, they are just lying and why is that not a surprise.

#5320 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 05:40 AM

Well, in fairness, I have not heard anyone from the city directly saying this (about low ceilings preventing more cameras being installed).  But the parkades should be safer, even if the cameras are just a deterrent.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2023 - 05:40 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users