Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#5281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 09:49 AM

Too risky. I bridge LTE  :teacher:

• Matt R. and Sparky like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5282 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 11:09 AM

^ You need Surfshark.

#5283 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 04:20 AM

In a report, staff said parking regulations were last considered in 2018 and at the time council indicated that staff should conduct a review every five years.

Staff indicated a number of areas that would be up for consideration for off-street parking in new developments:

Reduced parking minimums
Implementing parking maximums
Alternative measures in lieu of off-street parking
Expanding standards for bike parking
Loading staff requirements
Additional accessibility considerations including mobility device parking
Charging for electric vehicles
Shared vehicle parking
Cash-in-lieu of parking

Process changes to expedite parking variances.
While presenting to council, staff said that since the 1980s there has been a steady decrease in the number of vehicles entering and leaving the city, due to changes in land use, workplace patterns, and personal preference.

https://www.cheknews...ations-1152088/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2023 - 04:21 AM.

#5284 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:13 AM

There were more cars entering downtown Victoria in 1985, than in 2019?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5285 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:04 AM

There were more cars entering downtown Victoria in 1985, than in 2019?

Something doesn't seem right about that.

#5286 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 08:49 PM

I would not be surprised if there were less cars as businesses have moved more to Saanach rather than downtown. But I still would lke to know how they got the numbers.

#5287 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 May 2023 - 01:22 AM

Depends on what they're defining as "downtown" for this purpose as well.  In the 1980s Government was still a heavily-used street while Blanshard wasn't so much; thus if their definition of downtown excludes Blanshard then those numbers could well be true.

#5288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 06:49 AM

Let’s hope we don’t trivialize the data to that degree, just to make a point. If we’re expecting the development community to have trust in the process is has to be based on solid, indisputable data.

Know it all.

#5289 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 03:02 PM

I would not be surprised if there were less cars as businesses have moved more to Saanach rather than downtown. But I still would lke to know how they got the numbers.

C'mon... I thought it was all empty parking lots downtown.   Since then many infrastructure changes have been made to allow for more vehicle access not less.  I mean numbers before the Covid shouldn't really be dropping but they have been.

Depends on what they're defining as "downtown" for this purpose as well.  In the 1980s Government was still a heavily-used street while Blanshard wasn't so much; thus if their definition of downtown excludes Blanshard then those numbers could well be true.

Back in the 80s, 90s, 2000's many counts were done by summer students..  I cannot understand the decrease over those years.

#5290 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 04:22 AM

'Our Downtown': Revitalization plans include more policing, cleaning and events

The initiative, which will cost at least $950,000, is being funded through extended paid parking hours and increased parking fees approved by council this year

We really want more people to come downtown, and the way we will achieve that goal is to charge you more to park there.

• Barrrister likes this

#5291 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 04:35 PM

'Our Downtown': Revitalization plans include more policing, cleaning and events

The initiative, which will cost at least $950,000, is being funded through extended paid parking hours and increased parking fees approved by council this year

We really want more people to come downtown, and the way we will achieve that goal is to charge you more to park there.

Let me reword your sentence for you VW . We really want more people to come downtown . The way we will achieve that goal is to charge you more to park your car  while our cyclists friends enjoy free subsidies valet parking. 

Edited by Love the rock, 19 May 2023 - 04:57 PM.

#5292 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:04 AM

The current "sky is falling comments" about downtown is it is unsafe and gross.  There are still people coming but to make improvements without increasing taxes is to increase user fees.  So while they initially increase in parking may create some hesitation to coming downtown, the increased revenue, if used in a way that improves safety, increases events and beautifies the core and answers that current dialogue then people will come more often.  Obviously doing the right things with the budget will be the important thing here.  End of the day, anecdotally, I'm not seeing less and less cars coming downtown but more like the opposite.  Usually with any rate change there is a little bit of a pull back early but typically rebounds.  Once May is over I'll have a little bit of an idea and be able to do analysis on it.  Having said that doing a year to year look is still tough as we are just getting to 2019 numbers for activity downtown for on-street parking spaces.  Not quite apples to apples so....  We still do not have all offices fully staffed.

While I've always heard the "I don't go downtown anymore because of (insert complaint)" comments for years, people seem to still come downtown.  Either people are lying or they are just new people.  This April was the highest on-street parking transactions since 2016 for an April.  We will see what May brings.

Edited by Ismo07, 24 May 2023 - 10:10 AM.

• GaryOak likes this

#5293 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:13 AM

That’s all good and fine, if they actually cleaned it up downtown. Zero evidence of that now, yesterday or tomorrow.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#5294 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:26 AM

That’s all good and fine, if they actually cleaned it up downtown. Zero evidence of that now, yesterday or tomorrow.

That's is the goal so...  Yeah it's not going to be an overnight thing.  I see cleaning and sweeping happen everyday... coming down Pandora last evening makes me sad for what that area looks like however.  

#5295 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:31 AM

coming down Pandora last evening makes me sad for what that area looks like however.

So why even ****ing fix anything if the City chooses to ignore its own bylaws?
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#5296 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:35 AM

So why even ****ing fix anything if the City chooses to ignore its own bylaws?

I think it's a little more complicated than just writing tickets to people who don't care, following up through court rulings only for nothing to happen.  Every city is dealing with this sadly.  I'm just the parking guy I wish I had those answers.  

#5297 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:36 AM

Saanich and Oak Bay and Esquimalt DO NOT have these problems. It’s not every city, it’s only Victoria.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 May 2023 - 08:37 AM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#5298 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 08:42 AM

Saanich and Oak Bay and Esquimalt DO NOT have these problems. It’s not every city, it’s only Victoria.

I said cities, cities with downtowns where services are provided.  Pick a city...

Homelessness in Lethbridge more than doubled since last point-in-time report | CBC News

Downtown Kelowna, B.C. businesses raising concerns over homeless population - Okanagan | Globalnews.ca

‘We’re gaining no ground:’ Nanaimo council investigating homeless housing facility | NanaimoNewsNOW | Nanaimo news, sports, weather, real estate, classifieds and more

Edited by Ismo07, 24 May 2023 - 08:44 AM.

#5299 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 09:24 AM

If Saanich, oak Bay, and Esquimalt are anything like Sidney. The cops give the homeless a free ride into downtown Victoria.

Edited by GaryOak, 24 May 2023 - 09:25 AM.

#5300 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 10:25 AM

This is the problem, nobody believes government anymore. Thanks covid / truckers / carbon tax / climate crisis etc.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users