Photo

Parking issues and discussion (City of Victoria & Greater Victoria)

• Please log in to reply
5619 replies to this topic

#5261 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 08:08 AM

Huh?

Councillor Thompson said they approved it with 3 stalls, and that the rules required 31.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5262 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 08:17 AM

But looking through the parking calculations, the actual number of stalls required was 19.95, or 20.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 02:23 PM

Parking rates are going up.

Here's the street parking rate sheet, as of May 1, 2023.

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 3.18.49 PM.png

Here's the rate sheet prior to May 1, 2023.

Surface-Parking-2020.png

Know it all.

#5264 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,770 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 02:28 PM

Another affordability measure?

• Barrister likes this

#5265 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 02:44 PM

Another affordability measure?

Tax reduction measure this time.. Would've likely done this in 2020 as things were getting smoking busy before the pandemic.  

#5266 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 07:54 PM

I never bother to pay for parking down town. 

I'm down there so seldom, I just accept the tickets and toss them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5267 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:00 AM

So an increase of between 16% and 50% depending on category/time, when the rates really should be lowered (or, on some streets, eliminated) to help encourage people to come back downtown.

Idiocy.

• Barrister likes this

#5268 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 20 April 2023 - 08:57 AM

So an increase of between 16% and 50% depending on category/time, when the rates really should be lowered (or, on some streets, eliminated) to help encourage people to come back downtown.

Idiocy.

nono!

According to M Dell and J Cardonna (review their bios to appreciate their qualifications...?) confirmed that by raising the rates and eliminating free parking hours... downtown will be more vibrant and the RIGHT customers will park and shop.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#5269 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 09:36 AM

No more cheapskates.
  • Love the rock likes this

Know it all.

#5270 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 12:31 PM

No more cheapskates.

Like cyclists who pay nothing for secured  free parking. 

• Nparker and Barrister like this

#5271 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2023 - 12:08 AM

Starting May 1, drivers coming into Victoria’s downtown will no longer have the luxury of free parking early in the morning or into the evening.

That’s when the city will start enforcing paid parking from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. for all 90-minute and two-hour zones and parkades. Pay parking is currently in effect between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday to Saturday in the parkades and daily on the street.

City council voted Thursday to extend downtown paid-parking hours and increase the hourly and daily rates for all parking spaces. Daily and hourly rates will increase by 50 cents an hour for most spaces.

The new rules, which received third reading at Victoria council Thursday, are expected to be adopted next week and come into effect May 1.

https://www.timescol...g-may-1-6886722

#5272 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2023 - 08:59 AM

free evening parking going away means i'm coming downtown even less.

• martini, Stephen James and Barrrister like this

#5273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 07:23 AM

Vancouver is decreasing parking fees in Chinatown to $2/hour 9AM-10PM, as Victoria increases parking fees.

More cheapskates in Vancouver, I guess, to borrow a phrase from councillor Caradonna.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#5274 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 26 April 2023 - 02:30 PM

Vancouver is decreasing parking fees in Chinatown to $2/hour 9AM-10PM, as Victoria increases parking fees.

More cheapskates in Vancouver, I guess, to borrow a phrase from councillor Caradonna.

Caradonna is never going to live that down .

#5275 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 10:03 AM

It's a staff initiative based on the areas downfall it looks like.  If fewer are  parking, rates can certainly be reduced.  Not really what is happening in Victoria. I'm not justifying the changes here, just saying the comparison is not an equal one.  Similar to here however, Vancouver has many rate structures they can use to increase or decrease rates which they could have used but a new rate structure was being created which needed that approval.  This is a part of a whole Chinatown revitalization plan, so it's big news...

In January 2023, City Council approved City staff’s urgent relief plan for Chinatown, including about $700,000 in direct measures for Chinatown such as additional street cleaning, feces collection, graffiti removal, and garbage cans, as well as the creation of a safewalk program and a new mini-office for City Council to work from. The relief plan was rolled out several weeks ago, shortly after the approval of the 2023 operating budget.

#5276 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 07:48 PM

^feces collection... :whyme:

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5277 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:21 PM

So are the city council members giving up their free parking perk?

• Nparker likes this

#5278 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 05:18 AM

Probably not. More cheapskates on Victoria city council, I guess, to paraphrase councillor Caradonna.
  • Nparker, Love the rock, Stephen James and 1 other like this

#5279 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:12 AM

I guess I'm one of those cheapskates now.

When I'd drop off Mrs. Mike K. at work, I'd stop over at the Yates/Govt Starbucks for an hour to get some work done, and I'd leave right at 9AM as paid parking began. The streets are empty at 8AM-9AM, with lots of parking. Today as I drove into downtown, I realized I'd have to pay $3.50 to park at that Starbucks, more than the coffee.

The purpose of paid parking is to encourage turnover. But there's not enough demand for parking at 8AM. All council has done, is make it less desirable for people like me, to skip into a coffee shop early in the morning before the city gets going.

• Victoria Watcher and jrm like this

Know it all.

#5280 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:28 AM

^ Are you sure you were not just in it for the free wifi?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users