Churches in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#81 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:10 PM

Except for the hundreds and hundreds of examples where it already has been done? For example, the example ~2 blocks away?

The two-storey one at Mason? Very different.

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:12 PM

FYI: the "it can't be done" lines in the script are supposed to be read by Mike K.

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:14 PM

It can be done. But not at a price that makes sense.

Nothing significant can happen here.

In the words of a good friend and former forumer here:

“Beat it, losers”.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2023 - 01:15 PM.

#84 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:19 PM

Any large heritage conversion is going to be different. The HBC was a department store. Vic High was a school with a vintage auditorium and gymnasium. Bank Street is also a school, but a different sort of school. Some jobs will gut the interior but preserve the exterior like a shell. Some jobs will maintain the interior but subdivide it into units. Some jobs will preserve only the exterior walls but do away with the old roof and roofline altogether (I think I would have preferred to see that happen at Fairfield/Moss).

#85 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:22 PM

Any large heritage conversion is going to be different. The HBC was a department store. Vic High was a school with a vintage auditorium and gymnasium. Bank Street is also a school, but a different sort of school. Some jobs will gut the interior but preserve the exterior like a shell. Some jobs will maintain the interior but subdivide it into units. Some jobs will preserve only the exterior walls but do away with the old roof and roofline altogether (I think I would have preferred to see that happen at Fairfield/Moss).

I agree with all this.

But the school got oodles of funding. The Bay was sold at a price that allowed the upgrade. But it’s a low, stone building.

I’m no building engineer, but this 1913 church is too fragile to stand without BIG seismic improvements.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2023 - 01:23 PM.

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:33 PM

Anyway, as always it comes down to whether or not we're sincere about anything. When we insist we can't possibly do something even though other places have been able to do it, what we're really saying is we don't want to bother to do it.

Analogy: I'm sick and depressed, whereas my brother is fit, happy, and healthy. But I reject any comparisons between myself and my brother. Comparisons are inapplicable, because my brother eats well, exercises, doesn't watch TV or follow politics, and maintains a positive attitude, whereas I'm not willing to do any of those things. Thus, our two situations are completely different.

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:38 PM

Back in the day we said it wasn't feasible to repurpose old buildings in Victoria because real estate wasn't expensive enough to justify it. Now we say it's not feasible to repurpose old buildings in Victoria because real estate is too expensive too justify it.

#88 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:40 PM

Do we have a City policy in place to support the conversion of heritage buildings to residential?

If we do, it’ll cost taxpayers here more than $500,000 per unit converted.

Are we prepared to pay for that?

Who is served?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2023 - 01:40 PM.

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:46 PM

I'm willing to sacrifice some money from the painted crosswalks budget, the installing/removing/re-installing cooling stations budget, and the city hall PR/communications budget, if you're equally willing.

• Nparker, LJ, phx and 2 others like this

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:47 PM

That entire property is big:

hudson_compared_to_first_met_church.jpg

#91 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 21 November 2023 - 07:30 AM

There were plenty of tears and stories Sunday at the final service at First Metropolitan United Church on Quadra Street, where the congregation is leaving to join with Broad View United Church at a new venue.

The first services under the Broad View name are set for this Sunday at the newly renovated former St. Aidan’s United Church, on St. Aidan’s Street off Cedar Hill Cross Road.

The amalgamation, which will also see Broad View leave the location it’s been in since 1958 on Arbutus Road, becomes official on Dec. 31.

https://www.timescol...-church-7860796

#92 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 December 2023 - 11:57 AM

Pope Francis allows priests to bless same-sex couples

“.. new document explaining the change in Vatican policy was released Monday, saying that "people seeking God's love and mercy shouldn't be subject to ‘an exhaustive moral analysis’ to receive it,"….”:

https://www.foxnews....sex-couples.amp

Edited by todd, 18 December 2023 - 11:58 AM.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 02:01 AM

Vacant, prominently located two (2) storey church building on the corner of Burnside Road E and Jutland Road. The building has a primary level of approximately ±1,971 square feet, with the original hall, a stage, an entryway, and a small office. The lower level provides users with ±2,050 square feet of space, consisting of a large kitchen area, a social area/dining hall, separate men’s and women’s washrooms, the natural gas furnace room, and some smaller storage areas. Since its inception in 1970, the building has been incredibly well maintained. The property is serviced by 200-amp power, and a central natural gas furnace heats both floors. The property is designated General Employment under the City of Victoria’s Official Community Plan (OCP). It is further defined in the Burnside Gorge Neighbourhood Plan as General Employment with limited residential. This designation contemplates a maximum of four (4) storey redevelopment and a maximum FSR of 2.5.

954444_1.jpg

$2,775,000

https://www.realtor....ctoria-burnside

954444_6.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 February 2024 - 02:01 AM.

#94 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:09 AM

Victoria temple planned for Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-day Saints

The design, location and construction timeline for the temple, which would be the second in B.C., have yet to be determined

#95 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 03:42 AM

Undercover footage of what they actually do inside Mormon temples. Warning- it’s very weird (but not for ASE)

https://youtu.be/GZn...pGu_FKmeMETMZAN

https://youtu.be/5Vr...-9UCSZ3TkEF0OEY

Edited by max.bravo, 13 April 2024 - 03:45 AM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#96 Tony

Tony
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:53 AM

Many religions have ceremonies that others think are weird.

The less one knows about them the more likely their weirdness rating may be rated higher.

#97 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:32 PM

I think all religions are strange, and religious differences have killed more people than anything else.

Should ban them all.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:42 PM

Can we start the climate religion?

#99 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:03 AM

Undercover footage of what they actually do inside Mormon temples. Warning- it’s very weird (but not for ASE)

https://youtu.be/GZn...pGu_FKmeMETMZAN

https://youtu.be/5Vr...-9UCSZ3TkEF0OEY

What has ASE got to do with Mormonism or "weird" activities inside a temple? The answer of course is nothing.

FM precedes many of the "new" religions in some cases not by decades but by centuries and from what I saw here - after 30 seconds I bailed because I have better things to do with my time - its obvious that Joseph Smith or some of his early Mormon followers borrowed heavily from certain masonic precepts. Often out of envy and frequently because they themselves were at one time perhaps vey briefly members of our fraternity, or very often never acceprted at all.

Beyond that there are no links whatsover between the two groups and insofar as 'what they actually do' in FM temples involves everything from reviewing the minutes of the last meeting, to discussing and passing a budget for the upcoming year, to organizing elections for lodge officers each calendar year, not to mention considering and vetting and evaluating potential initiates into the order. All very mystical and mysterioius stuff, lol.

#100 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 02:20 AM

I think all religions are strange, and religious differences have killed more people than anything else.

I don't agree with this.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users