Cook Street Village

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

^ A "threat"? ie. it would prove to have popular items, convenient hours and agreeable pricing such that it would be much more busy than the corner store? Good thing that threat was eliminated before it could get going. Sounds like the consumer was well-served by council. :whyme:

Anyway, Cook St. Wineworks has some type of Open House this weekend:

WIN a trip-for-2 to Mt. Washington! ENTER to win just by clicking below.

Mr. Goody will be hosting Cook Street Village Wineworks' Annual Open House & Sale Extravaganza - September 1st. Watch the video below and invite your friends using the buttons below!

Wineworks' Open House & Sale Extravaganza

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

I had cause today to spend some time in the warm afternoon sun wandering about Cook Street Village.

This has to be one of the most delightful places on the planet.

#163 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 10:00 PM

I love grabbing a large mango hurricane at booster juice and walking through the park, finishing it just in time to free up both hands for the goat pen. It still feels like it's missing something, needs like 1 more cheap but tasty place to eat.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#164 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

I had cause today to spend some time in the warm afternoon sun wandering about Cook Street Village.

This has to be one of the most delightful places on the planet.

I like Cook Street Village most early in the morning, when I take the dogs out for their bidness. Also in the afternoon at the cafes.

#165 RobG

RobG
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi fellow villagers! I'm relatively new to the area, and have really enjoyed discovering many of the great shops, restaurants and markets in the village. I've always wanted to open a business of my own, and now that I'm here, I'm starting to really consider trying out my entrepreneurial skills. I'm wondering what type of business all of you locals feel is currently lacking in CSV? I don't think we need another coffee shop... But what is needed? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

#166 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Welcome to the Village!
It just so happens that my wife and I discuss this matter often.

Here are a few we came up with:
-Kids consignment store
-Toy store
-A nice sit down restaurant/ bistro
-The spa just went out of business, so there's another
- A gym

#167 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

In my experience little neighbourhood fitness places don't work unless they're part of a community centre or something.

A toy store is definitely a missing ingredient down there.

#168 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

It would be nice if there was some sort of entertainment facility. Small live theatre, movie theatre, art gallery or a community space that could be leased for all of the above.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#169 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

A toy store would be a great place for kids to figure out what they want to play with before mom and dad scoot off to Amazon and order it online :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#170 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

^^Yes an art gallery would be fantastic.

^I regularly buy toys at Timeless in Oak Bay because they have a very good selection and staff. Plus they offer free gift wrapping.
People put their money where they think it is deserved mostly.

#171 RobG

RobG
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Great feedback! Keep it coming!

#172 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

As a resident of the area, I would like to see a dollar store, the kind that carries a lot of kitchen and housewares with hardware staples thrown in the mix. I'd love to support my neigbhourhood but more often than not, I have to go out of my way for basics.

#173 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

Welcome to vibrantvictoria RobG.

#174 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Funny thing is you would probably do well with another coffee shop lol...

#175 Sloth

Sloth
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi fellow villagers! I'm wondering what type of business all of you locals feel is currently lacking in CSV?

Hi Rob, I saw your thread in Reddit r/victoria. I agree with the comments there about the need for a regular, affordable grocery store that isn't scary.

The options right now are either expensive organic (Mother Nature and Lifestyles), or out-of-date and off brand (Oxford)

I understand how the variety of little mom and pop places adds to "village feel", but it would be nice for residents if there was a one-stop grocery shop.

Discussion on Reddit for those who are interested: http://www.reddit.co...t_village_need/

#176 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

-A nice sit down restaurant/ bistro

Another one or two date-caliber restaurants would be great. Maybe a seafood joint? A wine bar, or tapas place? That's what I always wanted when I lived in the area.

#177 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I'd just be happy if Rosie's diner upped their quality a bit. I don't remember it being so bland but it tastes like subsidized seniors home food now :(
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#178 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

We started a Facebook page for CSV this week, because... well I dunno, we are pretty good at it and nobody else has one. Plus I live there now and need to keep track.

https://www.facebook...okstreetvillage

This is a list of businesses btw, it's missing a few offices and maybe some of the stuff at 1109 McKenzie. Feel free to remind me what is missing...

1. Beagle Pub
2. Bubby’s Kitchen
3. Serious Coffee
4. Pure Pharmacy
5. Mac’s
6. Paws on Cook
7. Moka House
8. Starbuck’s
9. Royal Bank
10. Rosie’s Diner
11. Eyeland Optical
12. Hot House Pizza
13. Cook St. Village Wineworks
14. Pic a Flic
15. Lifestyle Market
16. Big Wheel Burger
17. Pizzeria Prima Strada
18. Fairfield Chiropractic
19. Kay’s Corner
20. Scizzorhandz Hair
21. 314A Medical Office
22. Village Coiffures
23. Cook St. Marketplace
24. Mercedes Lane Too
25. Rainbird Boutique
26. Booster Juice
27. Hot & Cold Cafe
28. Lark & Sparrow
29. Island Meat and Seafood
30. Mother Nature’s Market
31. Subway
32. Clinic adjacent to Pure
33. Surroundings
34. Oxford Foods no website
35. Fairfield Book Shop
36. Rica Salsa
37. Coffee Bar None
38. Cook St Denture Clinic
39. Weight Watchers
40. Dr. Dennis Bredo 2-313 Cook St, Victoria, BC V8V 3X5
41. Cook Street Village Health Centre
42. Tin Roof Market & Deli
43. Upanup Studios
44. Cook St. Village health Centre
45. Beyer Mortgage Services
46. Messob Ethiopian Cuisine
47. Minato Sushi
48. BC Liquor Guys
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#179 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Is it a good idea to put a Weight Watchers near Bubby's Kitchen, Big Wheel Burgers and Pizza Prima Strada?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#180 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

Is it a good idea to put a Weight Watchers near Bubby's Kitchen, Big Wheel Burgers and Pizza Prima Strada?

Brilliant market positioning, IMHO. :)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users