The Greater Victoria traffic incident/accident thread

• Please log in to reply
7069 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:07 PM

Police generally will back off a chase on straight roads when a suspect vehicle reaches speeds that will likely result in a death.

That course gave me a whole new appreciation to F1 drivers

Thank you, Mat. I was aware of some of these techniques, through years of driving, and also by reading and watching racing on TV. Indeed, knowing when to brake and when to accelerate in a turn is key to successful fast driving.

Which is why I considered all of this when I went go-karting last year. I was racing with a pack of 11-year olds and I prepared to crush their little spirits with my decades of driving expertise. I visualized braking into each turn, aiming for the apex and aggressively accelerating into the straightaway.

Except things didn't go as planned. My racing skills were useless as the little tykes--completely devoid of any form of driving experience--simply floored the accelerator the entire circuit. They probably weren't even aware a go-kart has variable speeds.

When I was lapped by a little girl half my height who had never before operated any sort of powered vehicle besides her Barbie camper I knew I had suffered the most humiliating experience of my life. I'm still in therapy.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

1200-BLK Hillside at Cook is closed, will be for a few hours according to CFAX, a stolen car has flipped and crashed into a home. Not sure if it was being chased.

http://www.timescolo...0139/story.html

First thing, where's the photos? I doubt any reporter works weekends any more, stories are probably filed from home, but did no civilian get a photo and send it to the TC?

The 1200-block of Hillside Avenue was closed for a few hours as police investigated.

A police canine unit located the suspect shortly after in Saanich near the Uptown mall (formerly the Town and Country Shopping Centre), Laur said. A 14-year-old is in police custody.

Secondly, this guy ran all the way to Uptown, and a dog tracked him there? WTF? Did the cop follow the dog in his cruiser?

#23 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

^ lol, that was funny, Holden - thanks for the chuckle!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

...did no civilian get a photo and send it to the TC?

Gee, if only SOMEONE ON VV LIVED 50 FEET FROM THE CRASH SITE IN AN APARTMENT OVERLOOKING THE INTERSECTION, SOMEONE LIKE WEBMASTER DYLAN LEBLANC.

WTF? Did the cop follow the dog in his cruiser?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if even dogs could drive fast in a go-kart.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Christ...

Pedestrian OK after close call

Published: November 10, 2009 11:00 AM
Updated: November 10, 2009 11:13 AM

http://www.bclocalne...s/69676252.html

A 38-year-old man was walking on Esquimalt Road near Sitkum Road Sunday when a black pickup truck came “barrelling” toward him, said Sgt. Grant Hamilton, spokesperson for Victoria police.

The truck hit the man’s arm, breaking his wrist. The truck then hit a rock face, flipped and landed on its roof.

[...]

#26 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

Police said speed was likely a contributing factor in the accident.

likely?

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

Oh come on, what accident *don't* they blame at least partly on speed?

Even if you are doing the speed limit, if you hit something you were going too fast to stop. It's all to support their position on traffic enforcement and revenue generation.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#28 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Two children injured after car struck in hit-and-run
TIMES COLONIST NOVEMBER 11, 2009 5:02 PM
http://www.timescolo...2268/story.html

An out-of-control drunk driver may have smashed into four separate cars Wednesday afternoon, including one occupied by two small children who had to be sent to hospital, said Victoria police.[.......]

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

^Let me guess, speed was also a factor, along with gravity, inertia and momentum.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Two children injured in truck's three-wheeled path of destruction

By Katie DeRosa, Times Colonist
November 12, 2009 9:27 AM

http://www.timescolo...2268/story.html

An out-of-control pickup truck with only three wheels left a path of destruction and slightly injured two young children in Victoria yesterday afternoon.

The truck T-boned a minivan with two children in the back seat at Cook Street and Kiwanis Way around 1:45 p.m. While the side of the van was crushed, the children sustained minor cuts and abrasions from broken glass and the driver was uninjured, said Sgt. Barrie Cockle.

[...]

I bet that chick has a pounding headache today.

#31 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

The fact that the female driver of that truck was released blows my mind and shows a vast problem with the Justice system. That woman should not only be charged with a DUI but spend the next 25 years in prison with the number of other things she could be charged with.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

The fact that the female driver of that truck was released blows my mind and shows a vast problem with the Justice system. That woman should not only be charged with a DUI but spend the next 25 years in prison with the number of other things she could be charged with.

It won't go to court for over a year, unless she pleads guilty. Should they keep her in jail until then?

#33 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

It won't go to court for over a year, unless she pleads guilty. Should they keep her in jail until then?

For what she did? um, yeah I don't think thats far off the mark.

#34 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:56 PM

Well as much as we don't like the way the current system works...we are so short of judges that cases take forever to get to court. This twit should have the book thrown at her (She's damn lucky those kids weren't hurt worse or killed), but I can't agree to the sentence you suggest.
Take this case into account:
http://www.theprovin...7707/story.html
Look how many years this has taken since the accident, and once again to appeal.
I don't mean to take this off topic but feel strongly about this case.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

Well as much as we don't like the way the current system works...we are so short of judges that cases take forever to get to court. This twit should have the book thrown at her (She's damn lucky those kids weren't hurt worse or killed), but I can't agree to the sentence you suggest.
Take this case into account:
http://www.theprovin...7707/story.html
Look how many years this has taken since the accident, and once again to appeal.
I don't mean to take this off topic but feel strongly about this case.

I'm not sure what this guy did is worth 6 years jail. He didn't even make contact with any other vehicle, didn't cut anyone off.

Meanwhile, almost 4 years ago, three people ran a ferry into an island, killing two people, and leaving a $40M ferry in over 400 metres of water, with over 200,000 litres of fuel onboard. The ferry that replaced it cost $70M.

And those 3 people have not even been charged with a crime.

#36 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:25 PM

No. They should permit the complainant to take her to a private court, loser pays.

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

^ But if the person in the vehicle that was hit decides it is not worth the risk, then society loses when the drunkard hits someone and kills them.

#38 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:19 PM

Meanwhile, almost 4 years ago, three people ran a ferry into an island, killing two people, and leaving a $40M ferry in over 400 metres of water, with over 200,000 litres of fuel onboard. The ferry that replaced it cost $70M.

And those 3 people have not even been charged with a crime.

Drunk drivers and Street Racers need to unionize. I'm only kidding, but while I am not anti-unions I think they overstep their bounds when they protect their members from alleged criminal acquisitions. Where I went to high school there were allegations* of slightly appropriate touching and comments against a teacher. The union stopped a full investigation from taking place and the teacher simply was able to quit and move to Alberta. In fact that wasn't even going to happen until one of the girls started talking about going to the press.

*I know "allegations" is the pc term, but he was pretty guilty in my eyes. I saw him slap one girl on the ass, and once overheard him telling another she had "nice breasts". Those weren't the allegations that came out though.

#39 piltdownman

piltdownman
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

^ But if the person in the vehicle that was hit decides it is not worth the risk, then society loses when the drunkard hits someone and kills them.

I don't claim to know how it works, but in the states, can't a person or the State press charges, where as in Canada only the State can? So if this was 'merica one of the cars that got hit could press charges? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#40 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:34 PM

I don't claim to know how it works, but in the states, can't a person or the State press charges, where as in Canada only the State can? So if this was 'merica one of the cars that got hit could press charges? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. The Crown can press charges, not the State :P

You can be sued civialy tho.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users