[James Bay] Townhomes at Douglas & Superior | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

I think this is going to turn out well. This same developer did the small stretch of townhomes at Carberry Gardens and Fort, which IMO our the best looking townhomes in the city.

#62 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

Too bad they'll be pushing a million each.

#63 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

I think that rendering suggests something hideous. I'll wait until it's built/ finished before saying more, but the rendering makes it look awful, IMO.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#64 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

There used to be the most beautiful big house on that corner. It had a wraparound rounded porch. As a child, I longed to play on that porch.

#65 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

I love your whimsical stories, Victorian Fan.

#66 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thanks, gumgum.

#67 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:29 AM

It looks like some upper class suburban townhome development you'd see in ontario. The style just screams "back east" to me. It looks repetitive and boring and depending on the materials could turn out quite yucky. It also seems like a downgrade from the motel, it terms of use/activity.

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,561 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

There used to be the most beautiful big house on that corner. It had a wraparound rounded porch. As a child, I longed to play on that porch.

I believe the developer has retained the house and it has been moved off site. I'm not sure where it is currently located, but it was not destroyed to the best of my knowledge.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#69 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

How's the progress on this one?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#70 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

How's the progress on this one?

Its coming along! All but one small portion of the complex has been roofed, scaffolding is up along Superior to start the brick work, windows are in for the most part, My car is parked up there, when I finish up tonight I'll try to pop over and snap a few pictures!

#71 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:26 PM

Having met with the developer in the early stages of design, I know that the design was intended to show some consistency with South Park School (a federally-designated heritage site) as well as the Victorian cottage to the west, on the same property. The cottage is still there. I like this development, although, as I've mentioned on this thread previously, the site coverage is too much - the townhomes need breathing space. Yes, they will be upwards of $700,000 (no surprise there) but I wonder if they had reduced the project by 2 units if they could have charged more per unit.

What I like about the design and the placement on the site - wrapping around the corner - is that it makes a statement which says that this is a transition point and that it marks the entrance to a residential neighbourhood.

Has anyone noticed the injury suffered by the southmost boulevard tree on Douglas? A truck smashed in to it about 12' up from the ground. A major limb broke off and there is now an open gouge in the tree. The Parks Department has been notified. A similar tree damage on Vancouver street netted the developer of that site a $25,000 fine!
Pieta VanDyke

#72 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

It looks like some upper class suburban townhome development you'd see in ontario. The style just screams "back east" to me. It looks repetitive and boring and depending on the materials could turn out quite yucky. It also seems like a downgrade from the motel, it terms of use/activity.

Very faux Victorian Toronto suburb to me and narrow. House I had in T.O. built 1889 and it was 15'4" wide inside. Developers even then were squeezing as many units on to a city block as they could.
I thought the same about the Carberry ones when they went up.
If you're not in the end unit you are SOL for natural light, only front and rear.

#73 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

Again the mistake is trying to have modern buildings assimilate with heritage buildings rather than allow for distinctiveness of both buildings.

It really comes down to the fact that if one building is so fricking great the building next door should have no impact on its greatness.

#74 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

If you're not in the end unit you are SOL for natural light, only front and rear.

Curiously, the end unit, which has a south facing wall with potentially wonderful views and access to light, only has one relatively small window in it!!!??? Its till not to late - would someone tell the developer that the facade is just crying out for large windows? maybe even a 'juliette' balcony???
Pieta VanDyke

#75 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

I was driving by here over the weekend, and the western end of the project along Superior has had the scaffold removed and I'm really liking the look that is starting to take shape! - it'll be great to see when this project is completed and really adds to that corner!

#76 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

Most of the exterior work on this project is now complete...

#77 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Saw a construction worker on the site today just sitting around doing nothing and when i was coming back that way i saw him sitting in the same place.

#78 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Weird. So they're only working when you're not looking?

#79 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

Guess so.

#80 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

^Pay no attention the the smart-arse.;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users