Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#881 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 02:36 PM

Completely predictable for several years now. The Canadian market is far too small to support four major and several smaller regional 'converged' telecoms. One of the domino's had to fall and Shaw was the logical one. Not a great development for Canadian consumers who are already poorly served as it is under the current environment.

Unless you were one of the consumers who had a boatload of Shaw stock. Winner, winner chicken dinner!

#882 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 03:24 PM

Not directly but the Shaw family owns or did own about 80% of Corus which in turn owns Global TV in addition to a slough of specialty channels both English and French; and of course Corus Radio which is of particularly keen interest to the Vancouver guys.

Okay, but this transaction doesn't involve Corus.

#883 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 03:31 PM

Shaw was putting a lot of pressure on the cell phone market in western Canada, and suddenly Rogers swoops in and takes out a competitor. Canada's telecommunications markets are already pretty bad for competition, this will just make it worse.

Shaw subscribers should prepare for the Rogersification of their services (i.e. worse service, higher prices)

#884 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 04:02 PM

The Shaw Family Trust is a separate corporate entity and they control Corus.

“Corus to buy Shaw Media in $2.65B mega merger“: https://globalnews.c...5b-mega-merger/

“Shaw to exit Corus Entertainment with $548 million share sale“: https://financialpos...lion-share-sale

Edited by todd, 15 March 2021 - 04:03 PM.

#885 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 06:58 PM

Unless you were one of the consumers who had a boatload of Shaw stock. Winner, winner chicken dinner!

No Shaw, but I do have Rogers. Although it took a dip right after the announcement. Meh all long term stuff anyway....

#886 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:01 PM

Okay, but this transaction doesn't involve Corus.

Fine...but I didn't know that six hours ago. I do actually have a job, my hanging about here periodically notwithstanding. And a lot of people including my YVR media/radio-peeps were wondering too, since they didn't know either.

#887 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:43 AM

What's going to happen to my "@shaw.ca" email address?

Any change to that would create a year's worth of work for me.

I may have to ask Ben who to file my complaint with in order to stop the Rogers acquisition.

#888 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2021 - 10:40 AM

I may have to ask Ben who to file my complaint with in order to stop the Rogers acquisition.

I'm sure they'll keep it, but it's likely at some point Shaw was going to follow Telus in transitioning their crappy mail platform to Microsoft or Google.  It hasn't been the smoothest transition for Telus to Gmail.

I switched long ago to an Outlook.com email address.  Much more robust of a service and you're not tied to one ISP.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#889 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 11:06 AM

Yikes. Using your ISP's email is so 2004...

Gmail has a feature that lets you copy over all your emails from another account (such as Shaw), so if/when you ever lose access to Shaw email, all your emails will be preserved in your Gmail. I'm sure other web-based email services have the same. 

My ISP changed their domain due to underlying technology changes, so I figured if I was going to be inconvenienced anyways, I may as well pivot to Gmail and future-proof. 

#890 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:02 PM

I switched long ago to an Outlook.com email address.  Much more robust of a service and you're not tied to one ISP.

ACCOUNTS OF THOUSANDS OF MICROSOFT USERS AROUND THE WORLD HACKED, ATTACK REPORTEDLY LINKED TO CHINA MAR 08, 2021 11:55:15 IST (SOME Vancouver island MS365 CLIENTS WERE AFFECTED)

https://www.firstpos...na-9390461.html

Edited by VIResident, 16 March 2021 - 12:02 PM.

#891 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 March 2021 - 12:24 PM

Wasn't it @home.ca before that? I seem to remember that being the case back in the early 2000's, but it eventually was phased out for the current Shaw domain address.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#892 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:49 PM

ACCOUNTS OF THOUSANDS OF MICROSOFT USERS AROUND THE WORLD HACKED, ATTACK REPORTEDLY LINKED TO CHINA MAR 08, 2021 11:55:15 IST (SOME Vancouver island MS365 CLIENTS WERE AFFECTED)

https://www.firstpos...na-9390461.html

These were on-premise Exchange servers that were compromised, not Office 365 or Outlook.com accounts.

https://krebsonsecur...email-software/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#893 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:58 PM

Yikes. Using your ISP's email is so 2004...

yes.   :thumbsup:

#894 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 16 March 2021 - 07:05 PM

These were on-premise Exchange servers that were compromised, not Office 365 or Outlook.com accounts.

https://krebsonsecur...email-software/

MARCH 8, 2021

"While Microsoft released a patch last week to shore up flaws in its email software, the remedy still leaves open a so-called back door that can allow access to compromised servers and perpetuating further attacks by others."

https://www.insuranc...3/08/604203.htm

and FORBES:

"Earlier this week, the Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center, Microsoft 365 Defender Threat Intelligence Team and Microsoft 365 Security issued a joint advisory warning ....  https://www.forbes.c...sh=7d624a4228e6

Edited by VIResident, 16 March 2021 - 07:08 PM.

#895 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2021 - 09:07 PM

MARCH 8, 2021

"While Microsoft released a patch last week to shore up flaws in its email software, the remedy still leaves open a so-called back door that can allow access to compromised servers and perpetuating further attacks by others."

https://www.insuranc...3/08/604203.htm

and FORBES:

"Earlier this week, the Microsoft Threat Intelligence Center, Microsoft 365 Defender Threat Intelligence Team and Microsoft 365 Security issued a joint advisory warning ....  https://www.forbes.c...sh=7d624a4228e6

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest.

The attack was focused on on-premise (self hosted) Microsoft Exchange servers, not Office 365 (cloud hosted) services.  

#896 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 March 2021 - 06:47 PM

Mind you, Shaw runs Exchange servers...

#897 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,047 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:56 AM

SpaceX launches 60 more Starlink satellites, now at 300 launched in just over one month

SpaceX has launched another batch of Starlink satellites, keeping up its rapid pace of launches for the broadband constellation it’s deploying in low Earth orbit. This now makes 300 Starlink satellites launched since March 4, with 60 on each of five flights between then and now.

https://techcrunch.c...over-one-month/

This launch also included a landing of the Falcon 9 booster used, its seventh so far. The booster touched down as intended on SpaceX’s floating landing pad in the Atlantic Ocean, and will be refurbished for another potential reuse. SpaceX is also going to be looking to recover its fairing halves at sea, which are the two cargo covering shields that encase the satellites during take-off. The company actually just decommissioned two ships it had used to try to catch these out of mid-air as they fell, slowed by parachutes, but it’s still looking to retrieve them from the ocean after splashdown for re-use.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 April 2021 - 04:01 AM.

#898 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:15 PM

I just got into Lost which is available via Amazon Prime, and mid-way through season 2 Amazon dropped the show. What in the actual...

And apparently they did the same thing last April, too, but then it re-appeared.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#899 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,755 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:23 PM

I just got into Lost which is available via Amazon Prime, and mid-way through season 2 Amazon dropped the show. What in the actual....

As a child I was a fan of the visually stylish, yet short-lived, mid-70s, sci-fi series SPACE:1999. Imagine my delight to discover it was available through Amazon Prime, then imagine my disgust to learn that for reasons unknown, AP acquired just one season - of only a 2 season show!

#900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:27 PM

Yup, so weird. These streaming services for what they are, are still so hokey in some ways, especially with the limits they impose on Canadians who still pay the going rate but are barred from a lot of content.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)