Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1171 replies to this topic

#901 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:19 AM

Yup, so weird. These streaming services for what they are, are still so hokey in some ways, especially with the limits they impose on Canadians who still pay the going rate but are barred from a lot of content.

yes that is a bit puzzling.  in the "first run movie business" as i will call it we seem to be pretty seamlessly integrated with the USA.  ie. movies turn up in theatres at the same weekend and box office figures include USA and Canadian numbers.

but i guess in the aftermarket and for TV shows there are quite different right-holders in the USA and Canada.   

#902 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:21 AM

I just got into Lost which is available via Amazon Prime, and mid-way through season 2 Amazon dropped the show. What in the actual...

And apparently they did the same thing last April, too, but then it re-appeared.

yes.  i think amazon prime tries to warn you though.  i was re-watching justified and saw the warning that it was going to disappear in a couple weeks.

#903 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:34 AM

No warning for Lost, just suddenly gone. I spent 30 minutes restarting the fire stick and creating new accounts and seeing it maybe my internet IP changed and prime didn’t like it, but to no avail.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#904 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:37 AM

No warning for Lost, just suddenly gone.

maybe you are in the series plot itself?

or your life is a simulation like elon musk says.

someone on another planet is watching you search for Lost.  i guess it's a comedy.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2021 - 05:37 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#905 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:39 AM

Was a comedy! I’m on to another show now.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#906 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:42 AM

rogers is going to give everyone a 1-day credit for the outage the other day.

• Matt R. likes this

#907 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:34 AM

Will they give those of us on Telus some credit for choosing the better provider?

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#908 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:17 AM

Metchosin residents are used to having calls dropped, walking a block to get service and relying heavily on internet connections supplementing their cellphone usage.

But some feel it’s high time for improvement.

Metchosin local Brad Doney started a petition on change.org last week to demonstrate to the big three – Telus, Rogers and Bell – that there is demand in the small community. The discussion was sparked when news broke that the B.C. government had partnered with Rogers to bring cellular coverage to the highway between Sooke and Port Renfrew.

https://www.vicnews....phone-coverage/

In the past, there has been vocal opposition to cellphone towers, with some people expressing concerns about possible radiation.

A 2011 review process quashed a proposed Telus cell tower because residents felt the “site was totally inappropriate, it’s within a few metres of a densely populated site,” Mayor John Ranns told the Gazette at the time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2021 - 08:18 AM.

#909 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 08:29 AM

Uh... Don't you want the towers close to densely populated sites?

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#910 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:09 AM

How about as a condition of rezoning the Boys & Girls Club can erect a couple of cell towers?

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#911 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:28 PM

Omg you should see the feathers ruffled over trying to get a tower on salt spring for CREST service. Lol! Half the island thinks it’s a 5g tower.

Matt.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

#912 JohnsonStBridge

JohnsonStBridge
  • 342 posts
  • LocationInner Harbour

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:45 PM

Might as well go back to land lines then.

#913 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:26 PM

Omg you should see the feathers ruffled over trying to get a tower on salt spring for CREST service. Lol! Half the island thinks it’s a 5g tower.

Matt.

It should be. 4G, 5G, Crest... why have multiple when you can stick it all on one?

SSIlanders are already screwed up from radiation, anyways, right?  :1954_dancing:

• Matt R. likes this

#914 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 09:35 PM

No, the nutritional yeast keeps us all safe.

Matt.
  • lanforod and JohnsonStBridge like this

#915 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 04:28 AM

After a year of beta testing, SpaceX believes it has enough positive feedback for a proper launch of its Starlink satellite internet service. The company may drop the 'beta' moniker as soon as next month, but no changes to pricing have been announced yet.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is confident the Starlink satellite internet service will be going live as soon as next month. This would be two months later than originally planned, and calls into question the company's ability to acquire more than 500,000 users in its first year since launch.

Startlink has been offered to public beta testers for almost a year now, with most users reporting positive first impressions about the service. In terms of cost, the terminal hardware bundle (Starlink dish + Wi-Fi router) will set you back $499, and the monthly fee is $99. The company has been trying to shave as much as possible from the cost of the terminal, but a larger problem has been making these terminals fast enough to meet demand, and building a ruggedized version that can survive harsh environments.

https://www.techspot...-live-next.html

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 September 2021 - 04:28 AM.

#916 Darren14

Darren14
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:43 AM

Anyone have an IPTV service they can recommend? 

#917 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

We have a StarLink Dishy McFlatface waiting for us to install at our cottage in Ontario - can’t wait!

#918 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 October 2021 - 11:06 PM

Cottage in Ontario? The land of summer humidity and mosquitoes? 

Source: I spent the first half of my life there. 

#919 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 October 2021 - 08:59 AM

Cottage in Ontario? The land of summer humidity and mosquitoes? 

I think you go there for the winter, not summer.  Christmas, snow, fireplace.  Sounds lovely.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#920 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 09:32 AM

Nope to snow as well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users