Photo

Cable/internet/satellite rates: how much are you paying?

• Please log in to reply
1170 replies to this topic

#941 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 10:41 AM

There are going to be many of these popping up.

https://www.cnbc.com...ru-by-2023.html

There will be.  But that is geosynchronous (over 35,000km up) so will never have the low latency that the Starlink system has (500-1200 km).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 January 2022 - 10:42 AM.

#942 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2022 - 11:05 AM

Ah yes, that is very true.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#943 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 06:46 AM

SpaceX successfully launched its first Falcon 9 rocket of the year Thursday (Jan. 6), sending a new stack of Starlink satellites into orbit from Florida, before nailing a landing at sea. 

The previously flown Falcon 9 rocket blasted off at 4:49 p.m. EST (2149 GMT) from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station here in Florida, carrying a stack of 49 Starlink satellites. 

Approximately nine minutes after liftoff, the rocket's first stage returned to Earth and touched down on the deck of SpaceX's newest drone ship, "A Shortfall of Gravitas," marking the company's first successful launch and landing of the new year. 

Thursday's flight continues SpaceX's efforts to expand and upgrade its burgeoning Starlink internet constellation, marking the 35th dedicated Starlink launch since 2019. This launch brings the total number of the flat-paneled Starlink satellites up to almost 2,000.

It also continues the company's efforts to launch newly upgraded satellites. In an effort to enable the satellites to communicate with each other, the company equipped them with special laser links. This way the satellites can communicate more effectively, without having to rely on ground relays. 

This launch will also feature a slightly different trajectory than normal, with the rocket flying southeast from the coast of Florida, as opposed to the typical northeast path that recent missions have taken. As such, it will have to fly just north of the Bahamas to avoid flying over any populated areas.

That's because SpaceX is targeting a parking spot a few hundred miles above the Earth, at an inclination of 53.2 degrees — one of five orbital shells that the company is working to fill with roughly 4,400 satellites. 

These shells will be located at various altitudes above the planet, between 335 and 348 miles (540 and 560 kilometers) and at orbital inclinations of 53, 53.2, 70, and 97.6 degrees. (The inclination is the angle between the orbital plane and the equator.) 

https://www.space.co...ss-january-2022

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2022 - 06:47 AM.

#944 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 07:00 AM

Wow hey. That’s straight out of sci fi.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#945 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 07:05 AM

The laser links are key, as lasers though space can travel quicker than submarine fibre.  So the data transfer from say Europe to NA is faster than anything currently.

So in old days a guy had to ride a horse and yell "the red coats are coming!" through the countryside but now the Spaniards can warn the US military via e-mail or tiktok or whatsapp.

Seriously though apparently it has uses like financial moves etc.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2022 - 07:07 AM.

#946 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 January 2022 - 08:21 AM

They work fantastic when its cloudy.  :rtfm:  :badpc:

#947 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 08:24 AM

They work fantastic when its cloudy.  :rtfm:  :badpc:

There are no clouds in space.  The laser is only between satellites, not to the ground stations.

#948 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 January 2022 - 09:33 AM

ah, i gotcha

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#949 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 07 January 2022 - 09:37 AM

They are so close to the ground (relatively) that they must relay information between one another, due to the curvature of the earth and the fact that many would be too far from a ground station.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2022 - 09:38 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#950 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 04:15 PM

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service is growing with a newly launched premium price tier. CEO Elon Musk tweeted the news early Wednesday, touting Starlink Premium as a service with a scan array that's twice as big as the standard offering.

It comes with higher download speeds of 150-500Mbps and latency of 20-40ms, according to the Starlink website, and the company says the system is built to withstand extreme weather conditions. The service also comes at a premium cost of $500 a month, notably higher than the $99 a month for the base Starlink service.

https://www.cnet.com...-its-not-cheap/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2022 - 04:15 PM.

#951 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 February 2022 - 03:12 PM

I got so fed up with internet service (was on Telus at the time, they kept throwing glitches at me, and then as a "solution" upped me to their next level of service.  ugh!!!) that I've been off it for several years. 

Except for signing up briefly when rerenting a revenue property (it's handy to be able to respond briskly to rental queries). (don't have/use a 'smart phone')

But now, (and I applied yesterday, expecting news back in 3 weeks), Telus is offering us old geezers on GIS (even if you only get $1/yr as GIS), a $10/month rate (25 Mps or some such).  Beats dial-up anyway (which, I was considering on 'FreeNet' which would now charge $200+/yr but wasn't at all sure if "dial-up" would cut it these days, since they do not appear to be offering their text only browser, else I'd of thought about it much more seriously).

Biggest problem for me is if I've internet on hand, I tend to settle into being online WAY TO MUCH.  Anyone else have that problem (too much screen time)?

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 06 February 2022 - 03:14 PM.

#952 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:40 PM

^ is this a delayed post from 2005?

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#953 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:50 PM

Freenet is more 1992.
  • vortoozo likes this

#954 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:01 AM

Biggest problem for me is if I've internet on hand, I tend to settle into being online WAY TO MUCH.  Anyone else have that problem (too much screen time)?

jbw

That's the problem with slow internet, you spend way too much time online.

Know it all.

#955 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:20 AM

Hey James Bay Walker, there are some settings you may be able to access that tracks your screen time. If you choose it can remind you if you've hit some level you set.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#956 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 February 2022 - 11:16 AM

Freenet is more 1992.

Seems like yesterday, to me.

jbw

• Matt R. likes this

#957 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 February 2022 - 11:20 AM

That's the problem with slow internet, you spend way too much time online.

Access speed's never actually the issue for me (other than the difference between dial-up & broadband).  CPU processing is.

I throttle my PC's CPU to a lower level to keep the chip temperature down, which extends the motherboard's lifespan.  Probably adds 5% to my daily browsing time (no biggie).

jbw

#958 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 08:48 PM

You do what now?
  • sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#959 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,868 posts

Posted 13 February 2022 - 09:51 PM

^ it’s a FreeNet thing, you wouldn’t understand.
  • sebberry likes this

#960 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 February 2022 - 11:01 PM

Extending the motherboard lifespan. Lmao. Ok dude. Sure. All the other parts are going to wear out before your mobo does.
  • sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users