• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#101 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

Can a tsunami trigger an avalanche?

A tsunami probably can't, but a volcano can: Avalanche kills one in Japan ski resort after volcanic eruption http://www.bbc.com/n...d-asia-42784702

#102 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

^ I saw that earlier, too.  Interesting how these two geological events happened so close to each other temporally.  No warning signs from the volcano, either...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#103 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Very sad

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-dies-1.4500260

Doesn't say whether he was riding alone or not. 

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

245cm base this morning.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

During a recent routine check of a marmot colony near Castlecrag Mountain in Strathcona Provincial Park, a pair of researchers discovered a welcome surprise.

Molly the marmot, an offspring from one of the first Vancouver Island marmots released into the wild nine years ago, had produced six pups of her own.

It is an accomplishment Adam Taylor, executive director of the Marmot Recovery Foundation in Nanaimo, calls incredible.

During the last two years, researchers have seen surprisingly good marmot reproduction in Strathcona Park, with at least 12 pups born in 2017 and 11 the year before.

Another 70 to 80 marmots are found in a handful of colonies within private lands owned by forest companies west of Nanaimo.

Another colony lives at Mount Washington, bringing the total population to between 150 and 200.

http://www.iheartrad...boost-1.6655888

• Nparker and Jackerbie like this

#106 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

Soon?

big1.jpg?image=94

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:01 PM

Is that a dusting of snow I see?

I was up there last weekend and no snow in sight even on the peaks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:54 PM

BC Resorts are starting to open, but conditions were much better last year.

Sun Peaks was the first to open last weekend and has about 22 runs open with mandatory downloading. Last year, downloading was not required at opening weekend.

Whistler Blackcomb & Big White just opened with extremely limited terrain and with mandatory downloading at W/B.

Revelstoke opening next weekend and they are getting some snow so might be better off.

Washington's opening day is scheduled for Dec. 7th, this snowfall is much needed and more is on the way: https://vancouverisl...ngton-1.4189075

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:18 PM

big1.jpg?image=43

#110 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

Just a reminder there are other things to do on Mt Washington aside from skiing; this was on the northeast slope of the mountain in the late spring, where there are some wicked sledding conditions and monstrous, pristine meadows and (almost) vertical hair raising runs - making the run up one of those vertical climbs is one thing - successfully making the turn and rushing head long at full speed on a 60 degree_down angle is something else altogether.

I have to say I've skied off and on for almost 40 years, surfed (more or less successfully) in three oceans, but snowmobiling by far and away took the most out of me physically: I mean you are 100% spent, done, baked, cooked and every muscle is burning at the end of the day - but what a blast. BTW on the back side of Washington in those remote alpine trails there are a few back woods cabins built by the local snowmobiling club - you can take shelter, get warm, cook a meal and even stay the night if you have the appropriate gear. Great fun but be physically prepared in advance as its equal parts exhilaration and hard work...

Attached Images

• Mt Washington.jpg
  • Mt Washington 2.jpg

Edited by AllseeingEye, 27 November 2018 - 08:13 PM.

• Mike K., Matt R. and Cassidy like this

#111 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

Out of curiosity what does that cost?

#112 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

Out of curiosity what does that cost?

What, the sled? This beast is a top of the line SkiDoo with an ungodly amount of horsepower (600cc engine). Its also heavy as hell (over 225 kilograms) so if it rolls over on you - or worse, you wind up in a tree well in six feet of snow like I did, with it on top of you - you better have several strong mates nearby ready to pull it off you.

Brand new it was just north of $7500. If you mean how much did it cost to get out there for 2 days then the cost was $0 as I was out there at the invitation of some friends, one of whom is a member of the local club.

#113 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

Due to the weather, Mt. Washington will delay the December 7th opening. We are sitting at approximately 10cm at the top of Eagle currently, and while the quality of snow is great we need a few more storms to come through before we can spin the lifts. The good news is temperatures at the Resort are cold, we’re making snow in the base area and there is snow in the forecast beginning this coming weekend.  https://www.mountwas...now-report.html

#114 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:44 PM

Yeah no surprise; when I checked the Ski Report two days ago Washington didn't make the list. Scary. Friends in Whistler who've skied that area for 40+ years say the season today starts later and ends earlier than ever before. Given what we know to be happening with the climate today and looking ahead at the predictions for SW BC over the next 25-50 years a ski operation is not something I would be investing in going forward, and especially one on the west coast.

#115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:33 AM

The best skiing was during the last ice age.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#116 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

When we had a place up there 20 years ago for 10 years it was hit and miss to have an early December opening. Our first 2 Christmases up there were washouts, didnt snow enough to open until closer to New Year.

They just dont have the elevation to make this long term viable for more than a 3 month season

#117 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

When we had a place up there 20 years ago for 10 years it was hit and miss to have an early December opening. Our first 2 Christmases up there were washouts, didnt snow enough to open until closer to New Year.

They just dont have the elevation to make this long term viable for more than a 3 month season

And last year they opened early and were later shut down due to too much snow! People have short memories.

Edited by spanky123, 09 December 2018 - 03:25 PM.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#118 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

I seem to recall that Mt.Washington had more snow than Whistler in 2010, and many of the Olympic athletes were training there.

https://www.timescol...pics-1.23170392

#119 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:04 AM

Yeah no surprise; when I checked the Ski Report two days ago Washington didn't make the list. Scary. Friends in Whistler who've skied that area for 40+ years say the season today starts later and ends earlier than ever before. Given what we know to be happening with the climate today and looking ahead at the predictions for SW BC over the next 25-50 years a ski operation is not something I would be investing in going forward, and especially one on the west coast.

With luck Washy's got at least another 20 years before it becomes too unreliable with climate warming. Of course there won't be a sudden end to it.  It'll just be that crappy winters get more common and good winters less frequent.

I assume the new owners looked at the climate model forecasts and assumed it was still worth the money.  And they are putting a lot of money into summer activities.

https://blogs.ubc.ca...western-canada/

• AllseeingEye likes this

#120 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:08 AM

With El Nino in the offing this year and a big blob of warm water in the NE Pacific chances are they will have a below average snow year.  Of course a couple of the epic dumps the mountain is famous for could turn that picture around.

Fingers crossed, because I bought my season's pass months ago.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users