Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#2221 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:59 PM

I don’t know why we build highways so terribly in this province.

Always having to walk that thin line between reasonable infrastructure and not pissing off the bike lobby too much.  

I do however think the McKenzie onramp northbound to TCH is dangerous.  Well, it encourages those with dangerous tendencies to live up to the stereotype fitting of someone proudly displaying truck nuts. I've seen on several occasions someone merging from the onramp fly directly over into the far left lane, not able or caring to see someone already in that lane.  A few close calls.  But our local constabulary seems more interested in slowing them down than ensuring they're practising safe lane usage.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:03 PM

It’s also such a tight radius on that clover leaf. I panicked when I realized I was approaching too fast for my vehicle, by keeping up with the flow of traffic in front of me. It’s definitely sneaky if you’re not careful.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2223 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:24 PM

The offramp?  Yup, plenty of bumper scrapes on the barriers!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:28 PM

Yeah! I saw those from very up close.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2225 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:53 PM

I thought the northbound merge lanes were a good design idea- maximizing road space means more cars can get through. I’m pleasantly surprised they didn’t make a single lane merge (which would’ve become backed up every day).
And the sharp angle of the off ramp is surely a result of geographical constraint - minimizing the amount of expropriated ($$$) land required to build… so those are both good tradeoffs in my mind

#2226 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:14 AM

The multi-lane merge northbound is a poor design choice if the aim was to minimize the potential for a traffic slowdown off of McKenzie.

The real issue is, for reasons unknown ... folks in Victoria are painfully unaware of the simple process of the "zipper-merge", either through ignorance or through some sort of "manhood" issue that mentally prevents somebody from letting somebody merge in front of them.

#2227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:22 AM

Zipper merge or not, you’ve got five lanes merging into two. There’s no easy solution when you have a highway designed in the 1970s expected to handle traffic in the 2020s.

We’re just bad at this. Either purposefully bad with MoT engineers operating with an agenda, or incapable of properly designing roadways ($100 million interchange to solve the worst backups in the province, that blends five lanes into two).
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#2228 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:26 AM

Zipper merge or not, you’ve got five lanes merging into two. There’s no easy solution when you have a highway designed in the 1970s expected to handle traffic in the 2020s.

We’re just bad at this. Either purposefully bad with MoT engineers operating with an agenda, or incapable of properly designing roadways ($100 million interchange to solve the worst backups in the province, that blends five lanes into two).

I don't disagree, I think it's a poor design.

#2229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:42 AM

At the very least they could work in their planned bus lane at the interchange that also doubles as an HOV lane, which is what the bus lanes should be along all of Douglas.

Know it all.

#2230 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:48 PM

Speaking of the offramp being such a sharpe turn.. 

https://twitter.com/...301939134107648

• Mike K. likes this

#2231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 01:55 AM

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.10.05-05_53_25.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.10.05-05_52_47.png

#2232 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 02:44 AM

https://twitter.com/...595757936554110

screenshot-twitter.com-2024.01.23-05_43_57.png

#2233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 06:59 AM

Bicycle tunnel, though.

Know it all.

#2234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:37 AM

From the province:

People who commute and rely on transit between the Westshore and downtown Victoria can expect easier, more reliable travel with improvements coming to the Colquitz River Bridges.

The Highway 1-Colquitz River Bridge Widening Project will widen and seismically retrofit both existing two-lane bridges over Burnside Road on Highway 1. A bus-on-shoulder lane will be added to each bridge, connecting and extending the bus lanes in both directions from Tillicum Road to the McKenzie Interchange. The changes remove a key pinch point by creating a continuous transit corridor between downtown Victoria and the McKenzie Interchange, reducing traffic congestion and improving service reliability.

“We know this area is only getting busier and it’s crucial we have a strong transportation network that people can count on to get to and from their work, homes and families between downtown and the Westshore,” said Rob Fleming, B.C. Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure. “This project is another step toward improving our climate resiliency and making our infrastructure sustainable long into the future.”

The project also includes significant environmental improvements to support the sensitive habitat in and around Colquitz River. A new bridge-deck drainage system with a rain garden and sediment catch basin will be installed to filter roadway runoff, improving water quality in the creek. Non-native and invasive plants will be replaced with native trees and vegetation. The ministry worked with the region’s local governments and environmental groups to complete the designs.

“To build a brighter future for Canadians, the federal government is investing in projects that improve connectivity and resiliency,” said Jonathan Wilkinson, federal Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, and member of Parliament for North Vancouver, on behalf of Sean Fraser, federal Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities. “Widening the Colquitz River bridges will make for a more reliable, efficient commute for south Islanders while protecting local waterways and ecosystems. We will continue investing in public transit infrastructure that makes it easier for residents to navigate their communities and that contributes to a greener future.”

The construction contract was awarded to Pomerleau Inc., with construction anticipated to start in summer 2024 and project completion forecast for fall of 2025. Highway 1 and Burnside Road West will remain open throughout the construction period with lane closures limited to off-peak hours. No changes are planned for bus service through construction.

“Transit is vital to our region and this infrastructure improvement will make the bus more convenient for people who commute in and out of the downtown core,” said Bruce Williams, chief executive officer of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce. “Supporting the long-term health of the Colquitz habitat also supports the residents and businesses in that neighbourhood who understand the value this natural environment provides to our region.”

The total project investment is $35.5 million, with the Province contributing $23.5 million and the federal government contributing $12 million through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.

The project is a part of the Province’s South Island Transportation Strategy, which focuses on improving the sustainability and resiliency in southern Vancouver Island communities through highway, transit and active transportation improvements.

Know it all.

#2235 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:49 AM

...People who commute and rely on transit between the Westshore and downtown Victoria can expect easier, more reliable travel with improvements coming to the Colquitz River Bridges...

More reliable except for all the times when BC Transit cancels buses.

#2236 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:52 AM

More reliable except for all the times when BC Transit cancels buses.

Will save wear and tear on the expanded bridge I guess.

#2237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:53 AM

Collectively, all Victorians:

“What the hell are the “Colquitz River Bridges”?

When we were kids we used to kayak up the Colquitz River in the summer, when the rapids were not too intense. You can get all the way to about half way up Mt. Doug before it gets too narrow and shallow.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 March 2024 - 08:57 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#2238 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:55 AM

Collectively, all Victorians:

“What the hell are the “Colquitz River Bridges”?

bridge over Burnside is better?

#2239 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:14 AM

It is good to get this done. 
I wonder if they've plans to fix the exit 8 mess. That continuous lane that has both people merging in and out is such a poor design.

#2240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 12:20 PM

Yeah it’s nutty. New drivers and tourists get panicked.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users