Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#2201 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

mike had a hypothetical commuter that did not live right at goldstream and #14 though.

then he would also need to take into account driving to Goldstream and #14 as well. Since you've been using those two points for months now I guess I got confused with why he would bring that up now

#2202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,304 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:10 AM

our science isn't perfect for sure.

mike is anti-bus and pro-ferry though too.  it's odd.

i think it's folly to presume that almost everyone that takes the ferry can afford to have an extra car in the family - one that just sits parked at a ferry terminal all day.  i think you'd have to guess at least half the ferry passengers will arrive by bus or dropped off by car.  so you'd need lots of extra bus routes at each end.  and those cars dropping people off at the ferry are either going back home or continuing on to the other partners' workplace.  in that case does it really remove a car from the road?

of course i doubt that even 500 people a day would take the ferry.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 October 2020 - 09:15 AM.

#2203 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:36 AM

Comparing BC Transit schedules for #50 from 2018 and 2020, the travel times with the McKenzie interchange in the morning haven’t really changed; it is actually 1-2 minutes longer (more passenger boardings?). The afternoon trips are 10 minutes quicker, though
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2204 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:47 AM

Comparing BC Transit schedules for #50 from 2018 and 2020, the travel times with the McKenzie interchange in the morning haven’t really changed; it is actually 1-2 minutes longer (more passenger boardings?). The afternoon trips are 10 minutes quicker, though

I admit I'm never in Langford during rush hour but PM rush hour always seemed worse than AM rush hour to me based on roads like Douglas, Interurban, Tillicum, Burnside. I still standby wishing they focused on extending the northbound buslanes as far as they could before bringing the southbound to wherever they are now, they were fine starting at Hillside. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:13 AM

Buses were notorious at not keeping to schedule due to congestion, meaning your 7:38AM arrivals actually arrived at 7:51 (or whatnot), but the schedules never changed and just kept on keeping on.

Today, though, that 7:38 arrival actually occurs within a minute or two of that scheduled time, and for the first time in recent history a minute or two earlier than scheduled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2206 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:52 AM

Wow! When are they going to widen the Burnside bridges?

Yes, as shown in the South Island Transportation Strategy report, released on September 18th. (Months Late).

https://www2.gov.bc....tation-strategy

See report 2 pages 13 to 15. $13.3M for capital and project management.

Edited by splashflash, 06 October 2020 - 07:27 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#2207 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:58 AM

Buses were notorious at not keeping to schedule due to congestion, meaning your 7:38AM arrivals actually arrived at 7:51 (or whatnot), but the schedules never changed and just kept on keeping on.

Today, though, that 7:38 arrival actually occurs within a minute or two of that scheduled time, and for the first time in recent history a minute or two earlier than scheduled.

I worked in the transit industry and the mantra was "people expect the bus to be late, being early is a mortal sin".

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2208 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:04 PM

From the South Island Transportation Study, a comparison of transit measures, by cost and projected usage. The Trans-Canada/Island Highway bus lanes outcompetes all except light rail for passengers, and for a fraction of the cost.

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20201006-205628.png

#2209 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:42 PM

The West Shore ferry will save 33 minutes per trip?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2210 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:25 PM

The West Shore ferry will save 33 minutes per trip?

It takes 70 minutes to travel from Royal Bay to the parliament building via transit now. So very possible

#2211 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 October 2020 - 12:37 AM

On that chart, where they show the travel time savings, what end points are they using and what is the baseline travel type (car, bus, ?) they're comparing against?  I ask because there's reference to both a Westshore service and a Peninsula service; and also because it seems ludicrous that light rail, if done right, would only save 7 minutes.

#2212 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:31 AM

Light rail would still stop at road crossings, and it would stop at many stations along the way. So I can see how it would only be marginally faster than a bus, which we see theoretically has the same travel time with the bus lanes as it had before the bus lanes (going by the schedules).

Know it all.

#2213 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

Light rail would still stop at road crossings, and it would stop at many stations along the way. So I can see how it would only be marginally faster than a bus, which we see theoretically has the same travel time with the bus lanes as it had before the bus lanes (going by the schedules).

That is exactly what I liked avoiding with the Westcoast Express.  Port Moody to downtown with no stops.  I don't know if that is feasible here given our population, but if you want people to get out of their cars, "rapid buses" and bike lanes are not going to do it for the majority.  

#2214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:51 AM

Nope. They won’t.

Know it all.

#2215 splashflash

splashflash
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:39 PM

That is exactly what I liked avoiding with the Westcoast Express.  Port Moody to downtown with no stops.  I don't know if that is feasible here given our population, but if you want people to get out of their cars, "rapid buses" and bike lanes are not going to do it for the majority.

I don't think that fits the geography in the CRD. Busways and commuter rail from Langford to Vic West have few passengers while lrt and rapid buses outstrip them by an order of magnitude.

From the report (vol 2), here are a few of the point to point travel time comparisons. Also, one should remember that autos (and buses) have such an advantage here because a large drawpoint for travel is low in the CRD compared to cities in which rail works well: Vancouver, TO, Boston, NYC, Chicago.

Attached Images

• Screenshot_20201007-191424.png
  • Screenshot_20201007-191820.png
  • Screenshot_20201007-191642.png
  • Screenshot_20201007-191915.png

#2216 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:08 AM

Light rail would still stop at road crossings, and it would stop at many stations along the way.

Light rail would not stop at any road crossings if said light rail was above or below grade.  If it's at-grade there's no point whatsoever in bothering with it; it'd be just as bad as a bus.

And how many stations would, say, a town-to-Swartz Bay line have?  Swartz Bay terminus, Sidney, the airport (ideally!), Saanichton, Keating, Royal Oak, Uptown, Hillside Ave, in-town terminus*.

* - the in-town termunis would probably be somewhere near the arena, as that's where the Blanshard median ends and for the bits south of Uptown running it along that median seems to make the most sense.

#2217 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 07:47 AM

That’s right. And our plan does not include above or below grade, which would be monumentally more expensive.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.

#2218 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:51 PM

I could be wrong here but it looks like the 60 zone is gone and it's back to a normal speed limit.
  • Mike K. likes this

#2219 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:37 PM

Curious how all those distance/travel time estimates have aged..

https://twitter.com/...cOXlq6ToCwRMGfg

#2220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,169 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:46 PM

It’s definitely better. You no longer have to cue on Admirals past Gorge to get onto the highway, and the exit onto McKenzie is much, more more improved.

Where the volume gets heavy is east-west traffic, but it’s still much better than before. I’m surprised the highway is still two lanes past Tillicum. There’s been so much growth that it ought to be three lanes westbound (at least westbound) as that’s where McKenzie flows into the highway. Lots of traffic exits at Colwood so having that third lane would streamline things nicely.

I don’t know why we build highways so terribly in this province.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users