Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2229 replies to this topic

#2221 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,999 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:59 PM

I don’t know why we build highways so terribly in this province.

Always having to walk that thin line between reasonable infrastructure and not pissing off the bike lobby too much.  

I do however think the McKenzie onramp northbound to TCH is dangerous.  Well, it encourages those with dangerous tendencies to live up to the stereotype fitting of someone proudly displaying truck nuts. I've seen on several occasions someone merging from the onramp fly directly over into the far left lane, not able or caring to see someone already in that lane.  A few close calls.  But our local constabulary seems more interested in slowing them down than ensuring they're practising safe lane usage.  

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2222 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,182 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:03 PM

It’s also such a tight radius on that clover leaf. I panicked when I realized I was approaching too fast for my vehicle, by keeping up with the flow of traffic in front of me. It’s definitely sneaky if you’re not careful.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2223 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 20,999 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:24 PM

The offramp?  Yup, plenty of bumper scrapes on the barriers!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,182 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:28 PM

Yeah! I saw those from very up close.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2225 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:53 PM

I thought the northbound merge lanes were a good design idea- maximizing road space means more cars can get through. I’m pleasantly surprised they didn’t make a single lane merge (which would’ve become backed up every day).
And the sharp angle of the off ramp is surely a result of geographical constraint - minimizing the amount of expropriated ($$$) land required to build… so those are both good tradeoffs in my mind

#2226 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:14 AM

The multi-lane merge northbound is a poor design choice if the aim was to minimize the potential for a traffic slowdown off of McKenzie.

The real issue is, for reasons unknown ... folks in Victoria are painfully unaware of the simple process of the "zipper-merge", either through ignorance or through some sort of "manhood" issue that mentally prevents somebody from letting somebody merge in front of them.

#2227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,182 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:22 AM

Zipper merge or not, you’ve got five lanes merging into two. There’s no easy solution when you have a highway designed in the 1970s expected to handle traffic in the 2020s.

We’re just bad at this. Either purposefully bad with MoT engineers operating with an agenda, or incapable of properly designing roadways ($100 million interchange to solve the worst backups in the province, that blends five lanes into two).

Know it all.

#2228 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:26 AM

Zipper merge or not, you’ve got five lanes merging into two. There’s no easy solution when you have a highway designed in the 1970s expected to handle traffic in the 2020s.

We’re just bad at this. Either purposefully bad with MoT engineers operating with an agenda, or incapable of properly designing roadways ($100 million interchange to solve the worst backups in the province, that blends five lanes into two).

I don't disagree, I think it's a poor design.

#2229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 70,182 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:42 AM

At the very least they could work in their planned bus lane at the interchange that also doubles as an HOV lane, which is what the bus lanes should be along all of Douglas.

Know it all.

#2230 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 12:48 PM

Speaking of the offramp being such a sharpe turn.. 

https://twitter.com/...301939134107648

• Mike K. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users