Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#361 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

And our consultation will result in elimination of vehicle lanes, a 40km speed zone, 4 new bike lanes, and a dedicated lane for stolen shopping carts. Maybe some sort of sustainable, local grass based feature in there somewhere.

Well for one, hopefully it results in some actual sidewalks.  You know, seeing as there's 3 schools right across the road.  Provided they don't get in the way of Mr Langford from getting home quicker, of course.

#362 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:52 AM

I guess this one can go back in the never going to happen column

#363 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

I guess this one can go back in the never going to happen column

Not so fast.  Trudeau has promised even more Infra spending than the Cons so I doubt this one will be cancelled.

• 57WestHills likes this

#364 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

Yes, it should be more likely to happen now.

• 57WestHills likes this

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:06 PM

How much federal money was allocated for this project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:27 PM

Almost 33M in fed money.

#367 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:37 PM

If you think this is happening you are smoking crack, He promised more infrastructure spending but none will be here.

Edited by insanelydeadlydisease, 20 October 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#368 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:40 PM

Completely disagree. Never tried crack too.

I don't think JT is going to want to piss on any premiers by cancelling infrastructure projects when one of his main planks was infrastructure spending. I get that you could argue he would rather the money go to a red riding, but I doubt he will be that petty.

#369 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:42 PM

Don't forget most of JT's "infrastructure" money is allocated for the intangible things they call social infrastructure. He will spend more money on social workers and arts & culture than he will on roads and bridges but he'll call it all infrastructure

#370 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:02 PM

Don't forget most of JT's "infrastructure" money is allocated for the intangible things they call social infrastructure. He will spend more money on social workers and arts & culture than he will on roads and bridges but he'll call it all infrastructure

I don't have a problem with that, especially given how funding for arts and culture has been cut/neglected for years.

• Mr Cook Street and 57WestHills like this

#371 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

I don't have a problem with that, especially given how funding for arts and culture has been cut/neglected for years.

How so?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#372 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

How so?

Don't take my word for it.  It's not hard to find if you look.

#373 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

Don't take my word for it.  It's not hard to find if you look.

It's also not hard to find teachers complaining about "cutbacks" to education or nurses talking about healthcare "cutbacks".  It does not make them so.

If it's just the shrinking CBC budget, I'm all for that.

This graph shows little change to funding:   http://www.tbs-sct.g...Pa=1204&Gc=1553

r4.png

CBC funding:

CBC-funding2.gif

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#374 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

It's also not hard to find teachers complaining about "cutbacks" to education or nurses talking about healthcare "cutbacks".  It does not make them so.

If it's just the shrinking CBC budget, I'm all for that.

Of course you are, and there's no point in us debating that.  You can be for whatever you want.  The topic was that JT is apparently spending part of the promised infra $$$ on social infrastructure including the arts, and I say that's wonderful.

• tedward likes this

#375 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

Give Justin a break, he is only on his second cup of coffee.

#376 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:45 PM

As much as I would like the Greenline funding(CTrain) I would rather have this interchange here since the province is already on board. 

#377 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:38 PM

People talk about getting folks out of their cars and onto public transit to ease traffic congestion but no one seems to consider that there are other options to four-wheeled travel. If more people parked their cars in favour of motorcycles and scooters (as they do in Europe, etc), traffic would be noticeably lighter just due to the decreased footprint of such vehicles. Allow filtering/lane-splitting for these motorcycles and scooters (again, as they do in Europe, etc) and things would get even better. Victoria's climate is extremely favourable for riders so it's an option that should be more widely advertised.

Of course we would first have to reprogram the local drivers that commuting isn't actually a competitive sport and that a little cooperation benefits everybody....

#378 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

The money was already allocated for the overpass, it will not be changed, it will be built.

Now if they could just free up some money for the Malahat electronic sign that is missing so many elements you sometimes have to struggle to figure out what it is trying to tell you.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#379 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:12 PM

Anyone familiar with federal funding of projects, which unfortunately I am, can explain more articulately than I that this project is far enough started that unless it was pointed out for some political reason and directed specifically by a Minister it is figuratively too far down the hill to stop.

While obviously that has happened in the past this project is both in alignment with the Liberal platform and really small peanuts in the grand scheme.

#380 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:47 AM

Where is the remaining 1/3rd of the funding coming from if 1/3rd is federal and 1/3rd is provincial? Langford or CRD or ??

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users