Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] McKenzie Interchange - McKenzie Avenue, Admirals Road and TCH

• Please log in to reply
2245 replies to this topic

#401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

Am I understand this right? You won't be able to go northbound across the intersection?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#402 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

It's not clear but I seriously doubt that.

#403 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Am I understand this right? You won't be able to go northbound across the intersection?

Well, of all the movements that has other easy alternate routes, that would be the one.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#404 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

There are two blue lanes in the design on both McKenzie and Admirals. And the Admirals portion clearly has a right onto the TCH. So it's not becoming a one way road and it's still going to have full cross-TCH access.

#405 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

I am not convinced this image even originated from the Ministry of Transportation. In the bottom right corner it has the name of Dick Faulks who as far as I know is a local rail advocate (not a transportation engineer).

I would also be surprised that there would remain a stop light for inbound traffic in the final design.

Edited by malahatdrive, 03 November 2015 - 01:53 PM.

• sebberry and lanforod like this

#406 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

Entirely possible, and I have no confirmation it came from the province.  All I know is what's in the Saanich News article plus a tweet from Travis that the design I added above was provided to Gorge Tillicum.  He did not say who provided it.

• malahatdrive likes this

#407 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

When the province reached out to Rob Wickson about the pending construction of an Admirals-McKenzie interchange over the Trans Canada Highway (announced in July), the president of the Gorge Tillicum Community Association was expecting an ongoing conversation.

Although he now believes the Gorge Tillicum association will have its voice heard at least once more, he was wary until a recent letter.

“There’s going to be a big impact on Admirals, Helmcken and surrounding routes. This has to be done right or it’s not going to solve anything,” Wickson said. “We have a lot of ideas to share with them, I hope they listen.”

Rob Wickson has been opposed to this from the start.  I hope we don't get a watered down interchange that's more about bike lanes than it is for vehicle traffic. 

As for the conversation - he wanted a conversation about speed limits too but shut out all his opponents.  May the karma serve him well here.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

All I can say is if this is the design they want to go with, it's one heck of a lot of nothing for $85 million.

I can confirm that there is a lot of traffic that crosses north/south from Admirals onto McKenzie and vice-versa. Blocking access in either or both of those directions would cause major problems elsewhere.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#409 patrickinvictoria

patrickinvictoria
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

Why not base the underpass on the west side of the McKenzie/Pat Bay Highway interchange (mirrored, of course)? Right turns would never have to stop (yield signs).  Longer advance green lights could be given to the left turn for inbound traffic (those cars heading into town and wanting to turn left onto McKenzie) in the morning and to outbound traffic (those cars wanting to turn off Admirals onto McKenzie) in the afternoon.  Yes, there would still be stoplights for those left turns, but you would have more green light turning time than you have at the current intersection, waiting for the straight-through highway traffic.  
https://goo.gl/maps/miSbxw5H1mH2

#410 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:33 PM

All I can say is if this is the design they want to go with, it's one heck of a lot of nothing for $85 million.

Well it does have 2x 10ft wide walking paths in addition to 2x 10ft wide cycle paths.  And 2x train tracks for "regional rail". 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#411 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:35 PM

Well it does have 2x 10ft wide walking paths in addition to 2x 10ft wide cycle paths.  And 2x train tracks for "regional rail". 

and the rail is a giveaway that this is not a real design

• Nparker likes this

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

Word is the Ministry has now come out to state that this is not their design.

Maybe Saanich News should have clarified that this was not a design submitted by the Ministry but a design created by the neighbourhood association (which explains why it's so ridiculous).

Saanich-News.jpg

Know it all.

#413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

The Ministry contacted VV via our Facebook page:

To clarify, this is NOT an official rendering from the ministry. We encourage all those interested in the McKenzie Interchange Project to attend an Open House on Nov 17, 3-7pm, at St. Joseph the Worker Parish Hall, 753 Burnside Road West. Hope to see you there!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#414 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:43 PM

The Ministry contacted VV via our Facebook page:

Thought so - Thanks for confirming. It just did not feel like an official government design document. Saanich News gets a thumbs down for giving the impression it was legit.

• Mike K. likes this

#415 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:44 PM

The caption on the Saanich News site now reads:

Gorge Tillicum Community Association's draft rendering of the McKenzie-Admirals Interchange suggests underpasses to encourage flow through traffic.

— image credit: Dick Faulks/Gorge Tillicum Community Association

• malahatdrive likes this

#416 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:29 AM

Note to those interested.

First look at conceptual designs for the interchange will be available to the open house on Tuesday November 17, 2015 between 3:00 – 7:00 p.m. at St. Joseph the Worker Parish Hall – 753 Burnside Road West, Victoria, B.C.

Designs will also be online here starting Nov 17: http://engage.gov.bc.../projectdesign/

Edited by malahatdrive, 16 November 2015 - 09:29 AM.

#417 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

Here are the design options: http://engage.gov.bc...ptionspaper.pdf

#418 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hmm, looks good, close to what I would have expected. The partial cloverleaf would be optimal for traffic, but I think we'll hear complaints about the land use. No bikes or lights preventing right turns from McKenzie onto the highway north in all designs. cycle/pedestrian overpass is good too.

#419 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

Here are the design options: http://engage.gov.bc...ptionspaper.pdf

Consider me underwhelmed.

I think only Option 2 would be anything close to resolving traffic issues. Having a stop light for southbound highway traffic to McKenzie would back up traffic onto the highway still.

On the plus side - there appears to be a dedicated bicycle and pedestrian overpass for the Goose.

Also really need an overpass at McKenzie and Burnside

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

McKenzie-overpass-interchange-design-1.jpg

McKenzie-overpass-interchange-design-2.jpg

McKenzie-overpass-interchange-design-3.jpg

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users